Covid Protocols on the Koningsdam

cruise101

We are considering an Alaskan cruise on the Koningsdam this season and would appreciate information from recent HAL cruisers on the following:

1.  Does HAL have a policy of announcing/disclosing Covid numbers on board, and if so any information on numbers on recent Alaskan cruises is much appreciated.

2.  Certain cruiselines (e.g. Celebrity and Princess) have rows of cabins allocated in advance for quarantine for those testing positive after boarding. Does HAL have cabins similarly allocated for those testing positive during the cruise? If not, are passengers allowed to stay in their own cabins following a positive test?

3.  Also, re 2 above, if there are cabins specifically set aside in advance for passengers testing positive, any info on the class of cabins (Inside, OceanView or Balcony) is also appreciated. Furthermore, any information on the location (which deck) where such cabins may be located.

Thanks in advance for your guidance/assistance.

30 minutes ago, cruise101 said:

We are considering an Alaskan cruise on the Koningsdam this season and would appreciate information from recent HAL cruisers on the following:

1.  Does HAL have a policy of announcing/disclosing Covid numbers on board, and if so any information on numbers on recent Alaskan cruises is much appreciated.

2.  Certain cruiselines (e.g. Celebrity and Princess) have rows of cabins allocated in advance for quarantine for those testing positive after boarding. Does HAL have cabins similarly allocated for those testing positive during the cruise? If not, are passengers allowed to stay in their own cabins following a positive test?

3.  Also, re 2 above, if there are cabins specifically set aside in advance for passengers testing positive, any info on the class of cabins (Inside, OceanView or Balcony) is also appreciated. Furthermore, any information on the location (which deck) where such cabins may be located.

Thanks in advance for your guidance/assistance.

1 - No

2 - HAL has cabins for covid at minimum on Deck 4. I believe I read on one post that cabins on Deck 8 also needed to be utilized. You need to take into consideration that when Deck 8 cabins were used for quarantine it could have been due to a large contingent of new staff joining the ship. Pax must move to the quarantine cabins when they test positive.

3 - The quarantine cabins are balcony cabins. That does not mean that HAL may have to change this if there are an overabundance of cases onboard on any particular cruise.

I am sure others will also be able to add more. 

Edited by Laminator

If you haven’t already, I’d also encourage you to scroll through 4 or 5 pages of this forum as there are numerous threads and info on Covid and cruising in its current form. 

Good of luck with your decision... 

17 minutes ago, BEAV said:

If you haven’t already, I’d also encourage you to scroll through 4 or 5 pages of this forum as there are numerous threads and info on Covid and cruising in its current form. 

Good of luck with your decision... 

This!!!

22 minutes ago, SJSULIBRARIAN said:

Feb 26 - Mar 5th, the quarantine cabins were on deck 4, from the aft elevators forward on the port side. I don't know how many there were.

Plus there were quarantine cabins on Deck 5 as well, a small section. We were on that cruise as well, although the cruise actually sailed Feb 27 to March 6. And we stayed on for the next cruise Mar 6-13.

@cruise101This Thread has detailed almost all of the changes in CDC Color Status for HAL ships in US waters since the re-start: https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2794220-cdc-yellow-category-for-na-does-anyone-have-any-info-as-to-why/page/8/

Koningsdam has been “Orange” since late April. They don’t release numbers, however other social media formats and CC roll calls sometimes can give an idea of how things went on a particular sailing, as eyewitnesses in Quarantine/ Isolation may report on the number of cabins or what staff has told them, etc.

HAL has recently extended their “Worry Free Promise” https://www.hollandamerica.com/en_US/worry-free-promise/flexible-cancellation.html

As others mentioned, there are a few “Isolation Report” Threads (some contained within “Live Froms”) that are very insightful on how quarantine/isolation is handled.

All the Best!

Edited by syesmar
  • Like 1

We are in VB4154 next month on the Koningsdam. The check in is still showing us in that cabin. Just wondering if that cabin will be a quarantine cabin and we should start searching for a alternative cabin. 🤔 We we’re on the Nieuw Statendam in Feb. and had that same cabin and were relocated. 

• 1 month later...
On 5/26/2022 at 8:48 PM, Expo67 said:

We are in VB4154 next month on the Koningsdam. The check in is still showing us in that cabin. Just wondering if that cabin will be a quarantine cabin and we should start searching for a alternative cabin. 🤔 We we’re on the Nieuw Statendam in Feb. and had that same cabin and were relocated. 

Hi Expo67,   I was wondering if you were able to stay in VB4154 for your June cruise?

For what it's worth, sister ship Rotterdam had the port section of deck 5 balcony cabins towards the rear blocked off for quarantined passengers as well. My cabin was a few doors down from the blocked off session.

On 7/13/2022 at 7:12 PM, seattlecruiser said:

Hi Expo67,   I was wondering if you were able to stay in VB4154 for your June cruise?

We were able to stay in that cabin this timecaround. 👍