When is a package holiday not a package ,when you book with Azamara

margo2011

Due to cruise on the pursuit 31st May ,but sadly my husband just tested positive for Covid .When we booked we wanted to fly from Liverpool but we’re told Azamara don’t use easy jet or Ryanair so would have to use Lufthansa at extra costs but more important two lengthy travel days with stops in Frankfurt .We booked  with the understanding it was a package covering all aspects of our holiday .

Our TA have checked with Azamara today who confirmed our flights will have to be recovered from our insurance company ,why ,our contract is with Azamara as our TA kept stating . She said their cruise with confidence only covers change of ports or cancelled flights that they would rearrange .Fuming as they also said if you have had Covid within 10 days of boarding you cannot travel with them even if you then test negative .Whilst from a safety point of view I think this is good for all passengers ,they need to let us know we have had days of anxiety thinking if we tested on Monday and were clear we could still go .

Azamara sold this as a fly cruise not a cruise only so why isn’t it a package ? Anyone know ?can I claw back costs on my credit card as they are stopping me from boarding .So not providing the service I paid for ,the flight costs are approximately a third of the total package .

I am posting this so others are aware if cancelling because of Covid they won’t be refunded from Azamara.

Anyway rant over just getting ready to put clothes back in the wardrobe .

7 minutes ago, margo2011 said:

Due to cruise on the pursuit 31st May ,but sadly my husband just tested positive for Covid .When we booked we wanted to fly from Liverpool but we’re told Azamara don’t use easy jet or Ryanair so would have to use Lufthansa at extra costs but more important two lengthy travel days with stops in Frankfurt .We booked  with the understanding it was a package covering all aspects of our holiday .

Our TA have checked with Azamara today who confirmed our flights will have to be recovered from our insurance company ,why ,our contract is with Azamara as our TA kept stating . She said their cruise with confidence only covers change of ports or cancelled flights that they would rearrange .Fuming as they also said if you have had Covid within 10 days of boarding you cannot travel with them even if you then test negative .Whilst from a safety point of view I think this is good for all passengers ,they need to let us know we have had days of anxiety thinking if we tested on Monday and were clear we could still go .

Azamara sold this as a fly cruise not a cruise only so why isn’t it a package ? Anyone know ?can I claw back costs on my credit card as they are stopping me from boarding .So not providing the service I paid for ,the flight costs are approximately a third of the total package .

I am posting this so others are aware if cancelling because of Covid they won’t be refunded from Azamara.

Check the wording, if you can, of any documents issued to you. And if necessary, refer to the Package Travel and Linked Travel Arrangements Regulations 2018.

Thank you we were told categorically that Azamara do not use budget airlines so we couldn’t fly out of our chosen airport .Also we booked another cruise yesterday and the TA could not see anywhere in the TC’s where if you  have had Covid within 10 days of travel you cannot board with Azamara .Now the dilemma is Azamara giving our TA incorrect information or is our TA interpreting incorrectly.

Just a long shot, but did you receive an ABTA or ATOL certificate for your booking? These MAY include items that are covered by their schemes but the above regulation is a good source of information as to who is responsible in different circumstances.

Good luck!

Our TA in UK also told us for our cruise earlier this year that Azamara did not recognise EasyJet or Ryanair and if we booked their flights, we were on our own if anything happened. Jet2 was recognised.

On 5/26/2022 at 11:56 AM, margo2011 said:

I just checked our ATOL certificate….flights booked with Az..are with BA & Turkish. We are covered from the date we leave LHR until the date we get back. We too did it all through Azamara as TA said we would be covered.

Hope we don’t have to test it !! 
So sorry you are having to unpack…I would . Be gutted.

I am not sure why the flights providers/airlines is an issue.

Surely this boils down to whether this is a package or not?

Why would the selection of airlines matter?

There is a definition in the Regulationsb

In these Regulations, subject to paragraph (6), a “package” means a combination of at least two different types of travel services for the purpose of the same trip or holiday, if—

(a)those services are combined by one trader, including at the request of, or in accordance with, the selection of the traveller, before a single contract on all services is concluded; or
(b)those services are—
(i)purchased from a single point of sale and selected before the traveller agrees to pay,
(ii)offered, sold or charged at an inclusive or total price,
(iii)advertised or sold under the term “package” or under a similar term,
(iv)combined after the conclusion of a contract by which a trader entitles the traveller to choose among a selection of different types of travel services, or
(v)purchased from separate traders through linked online booking processes where—
(aa)the traveller’s name, payment details and e-mail address are transmitted from the trader with whom the first contract is concluded to another trader or traders, and
(bb)a contract with the latter trader or traders is concluded at the latest 24 hours after the confirmation of the booking of the first travel service,irrespective of whether the traveller concludes separate contracts with one or more travel service providers in respect of the services

Whilst this may be pretty difficult to understand, try to follow it, and see whether all the clauses fit. But note the 'or' in (a), above.

The biggie, as I see it, is how the flights plus cruise were described. Not verbally, of course. What was said to you has no validity.

But note that the list includes other get-outs for providers. 

Thank you ,I agree this was my understanding at the time of booking in fact the adviser said if I booked the flights myself then to quote “this would then not constitute a package “the inference being I was booking one .I have spoken directly with Azamara and they are looking into it .

9 minutes ago, margo2011 said:

Thank you ,I agree this was my understanding at the time of booking in fact the adviser said if I booked the flights myself then to quote “this would then not constitute a package “the inference being I was booking one .I have spoken directly with Azamara and they are looking into it .

But remember: verbal assurances are not worth the paper they are written on.

Here is what the Azamara web site says about Choice Air:

ChoiceAir®, Azamara’s air booking tool, lets you review air choices on all major airlines, then book on your own or with the assistance of travel professionals for a minimal charge

I feel that there is an general assumption that if you book flights through Choice Air, the cruise and the flights are somehow linked. Personally I think that this assumption is flawed. They clearly state that you 'book on your own'.

Azamara offer this as a tool, and they may receive commission, but I don't see how the structure of this arrangement will constitute a package. In effect, in my opinion, you are using a second provider, albeit via a resource that Azamara provide. 

My travel agents have always counseled against booking air through the cruise line.  Even though I believe they would get some commission from it, apparently it isn't worth the hassle of dealing with these issues.  [My TA just turned down a referral of a land tour because she isn't familiar with the company and the result is that she wouldn't add much value for me and it would cause too much effort for her.  I respect that honesty, and it reinforces the counsel against using Choice Air.]

• Like 2

It’s very different in the UK. Much more protection if the flight is included in the deal as the regulations being discussed in this thread apply. They should help most travellers 

Edited by uktog

23 minutes ago, uktog said:

It’s very different in the UK. Much more protection if the flight is included in the deal as the regulations being discussed in this thread apply. They should help most travellers 

Indeed. The Atol certificate should indicate. Mine shows my flights and the name of the cruise. It doesn't list the hotels. Not sure if that's normal.  Also, though not applicable here as it was booked as package, I've seen instances where insurance companies disqualify the holiday as the journey must start from the UK. If you book your flights independently, your cruise could be considered not starting from the UK. Quite sneaky I know, but I've read of instances insurance companies they've slimed out. As others have said, Azamara sold us easyJet flights too, so they were not being truthful saying they don't use them. They do.

4 hours ago, margo2011 said:

Thanks for a your help ,but we never received an ATOL certificate from Azamar ?????

You should have received an ATOL certificate from your TA with the confirmation.  Check your emails that there isn't an attachment at the bottom .

Edited by jollyjoyce
added info

I think having an ATOL protected package isn't really relevant in these circumstance. Package holidays in the UK have protection from things like major changes and insolvency. As far as I know they would never help with covering illness/covid which is where travel insurance or the cruise with confidence scheme would kick in. If you want to take advantage of the cruise with confidence policy then Azamara should point out where in the FAQ or terms it says that air isn't refunded. I am assuming that somewhere it says that only flexible air is refunded and non refundable air is down to the airline. In that case it would be the cruise cost in FCC and a separate claim to travel insurance for the air. What makes it more complicated is that the cruise lines don't sometimes follow local rules and advice. I hope you get it all sorted out in the end.

• Like 1

Although I said that Iberia was only the provider, and not liable, it now seems that the contract was with the airline, because they were paid direct for the seats.

If you paid by Credit Card, there is recourse, because you have a contract with the Credit Card issuer, hence les37b's mention of a chargeback.

Ultimately, if you do not get what you paid for, keep all the documents to prove this, and pursue your claim through all possible channels.

But... it might be worth bearing in mind that most people do not respond well to threats. 

• Like 1

On 5/28/2022 at 12:28 PM, jollyjoyce said:

You should have received an ATOL certificate from your TA with the confirmation.  Check your emails that there isn't an attachment at the bottom .

Thank you ,no I never received one I have since requested and received one dated 5 months after the originally booking .But as others have stated this would not cover me for illness.My issues are all the misinformation surrounding the booking .

No one said the booking if cancelled would not cover the flights .

One adviser said I could delay cancelling and see if my husband then tested negative the day before travel.

Another said Azamara won’t let you travel if you have had Covid 10days prior to embarkation.

I think this may take a long time to get resolution ,

Thank you to those who have shown the caring side of CC