Excessive charges from Cunard

ak1004

Please don't forget that there is less staff but also less passengers. Our sailing was at 70% capacity. Some sailings are even less.

For some people Covid is a blessing. They can use it as an excuse for their incompetence and laziness.

I always prefer to use email instead of phone. This way everything is documented. Don't trust anyone those days.

As for being patient,  i was very patient waiting for refunds from Crystal.. it didn't end up well..

Thank you everyone for your feedback. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, ak1004 said:

Please don't forget that there is less staff but also less passengers. Our sailing was at 70% capacity. Some sailings are even less.

For some people Covid is a blessing. They can use it as an excuse for their incompetence and laziness.

I always prefer to use email instead of phone. This way everything is documented. Don't trust anyone those days.

As for being patient,  i was very patient waiting for refunds from Crystal.. it didn't end up well..

Thank you everyone for your feedback. 

No worries, Cunard used a different shipyard!

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
26 minutes ago, ak1004 said:

It has been 3 weeks since Cunard stole money from my account - and Cunard is silent. No reply. Tried to call, but not willing to spend 30+ minutes on hold.

Forget the oxymoron - Customer Services

Try the “Nuclear” option…….Carnival Executive Offices.

Executive.Correspondence@carnivalukgroup.com

Give full details also affirm one’s anger and why.  

Good Luck….

31 minutes ago, ak1004 said:

It has been 3 weeks since Cunard stole money from my account - and Cunard is silent. No reply. Tried to call, but not willing to spend 30+ minutes on hold.

I thoiught you had put it in the hands of your credit card company. In which case see post 29.

1 hour ago, ak1004 said:

4 minutes ago, ak1004 said:

I called the CC company, they advised me to try and resolve it with Cunard first. 

When we have had disputed payments, Amex or the CC company has put immediate blocks on the payment in order for it to be sorted out. At no time was the ball put in our court.

Edited by Victoria2

I just last month received a letter confirming a FCC for a cruise in 2020.

I never called, mailed, blackmailed, threatend or publically attacked them.

Sometimes things take a while.

PS: "Stole" - really? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, carlmm said:

I just last month received a letter confirming a FCC for a cruise in 2020.

I never called, mailed, blackmailed, threatend or publically attacked them.

Sometimes things take a while.

PS: "Stole" - really? 

When a business charges your credit card without your authorization, without even a simple email explaining what the charges are for - yes, I call it stealing.

4 minutes ago, ak1004 said:

When a business charges your credit card without your authorization, without even a simple email explaining what the charges are for - yes, I call it stealing.

Cunard will just call it an administrative error, along with the potential of an other ten thousand.every week.  Think I’ll call it suspicious incompetence.

3 hours ago, ak1004 said:

My grandson has had £15 k frozen on his bank account by bank error my daughter is loaning him the amount while it is sorted  a ***** up by the bank  but nobody is perfect are they he is dealing with calmly not accusing anyone of theft etc

AK complicated the issue by almost immediately reporting a fraud to the Credit Card Company.   They assumed AK had already given Cunard the opportunity to investigate and potentially correct. They have found you did not and now are having you contact Cunard.   If you get no satisfaction you can always take it as a loss on your tax return.    We have done so with a substantial loss, not so sure of $150.

1 hour ago, exlondoner said:

I can tell help feeling it would have been a lot less trouble, and perhaps, ultimately, saved time, to have gritted the teeth and spoken on the phone to Cunard in the first place.

Sorry. It is too late to edit this gibberish. It should read 'I can't help...'

• Like 1

If this is an extra charge missed off the final statement then you deserve an answer as to what it is but as you probably keep a close track of your onboard spend like us and will know it's not yours, I'm guessing it's an administrative error.

If it's a mistake then this shouldn't have happened but unfortunately, mistakes do happen. It's happened before to others after disembarkation and to us onboard. Inexplicable mistakes at times [our printed name and cabin number but the correct purchaser's signature etc]. Our error was corrected but it must be highly annoying after disembarkation as it's not as easy as going to the Front Desk to have it sorted. 

As I have yet to hear of Cunard defrauding passengers by keeping unauthorised monies etc etc,  ak should get the charge rescinded and yes, it might take time which I know will add to any annoyance but at the moment, the extra charge by Cunard will be a non suspicious mistake. Just that. Incompetence maybe or  computer error but a definite mistake and with no criminal intent so it's unfair to accuse Cunard of stealing. 

Stealing does mean taking without permission but it has the added rider 'with no intention of returning it' so in my book, that does not apply to Cunard. Similar would apply if used, to the word 'fraud'.  That also implies criminal intent. 

Anyone who says or in a roundabout way implies otherwise should be aware of their phraseology as it gives the impression Cunard set out to deliberately claim something which isn't theirs with the intention of keeping it which is not fair to Cunard's reputation.

• Like 4

With regard to erroneous charges.  It would be considered “kind and considerate”, by a Company with an perceived high reputation, to contact the guest, after disembarking, as to the potential CC debit of an additional charge.  Not just slam it in. Then when one telephone, there is now a tendency for Cunard to request “put it in writing” and not resolve instantly.  One complies, only to receive a 28 day reply.  28 days?!  
Thought…….If any CC member, is business now, we’re to tell a client it will take up to 28 days to just to reply to a query and not resolve promptly, what would be their client’s response?

Over the last 6/7 years, if not having a PCS, Customer Services have become an oxymoron.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PORT ROYAL said:

With regard to erroneous charges.  It would be considered “kind and considerate”, by a Company with an perceived high reputation, to contact the guest, after disembarking, as to the potential CC debit of an additional charge.  Not just slam it in. Then when one telephone, there is now a tendency for Cunard to request “put it in writing” and not resolve instantly.  One complies, only to receive a 28 day reply.  28 days?!  
Thought…….If any CC member, is business now, we’re to tell a client it will take up to 28 days to just to reply to a query and not resolve promptly, what would be their client’s response?

Over the last 6/7 years, if not having a PCS, Customer Services have become an oxymoron.

I certainly agree  some kind of contact would be courteous when adding a potential extra charge  but that does not mean language such as 'stealing' should be used or, to quote yourself, the use of the word 'suspicious' when talking incompetence when referring to probable  mistakes.

17 minutes ago, Victoria2 said:

I certainly agree  some kind of contact would be courteous when adding a potential extra charge  but that does not mean language such as 'stealing' should be used or, to quote yourself, the use of the word 'suspicious' when talking incompetence when referring to probable  mistakes.

For one’s part, if an alleged mistake was made, with errors compounded prior to resolving.  Then, over subsequent weeks, for some unknown reason, evidence of further four acts of incompetence with two further cases identical “genuine mistakes” repeated.  The question has to be asked, because something is not in order.

Incompetent? Yes…..Not learning from previous mistakes…Definitely….Suspicious? Yes, because in the normal course of business these multiple (compounded) errors never happen.

17 minutes ago, PORT ROYAL said:

For one’s part, if an alleged mistake was made, with errors compounded prior to resolving.  Then, over subsequent weeks, for some unknown reason, evidence of further four acts of incompetence with two further cases identical “genuine mistakes” repeated.  The question has to be asked, because something is not in order.

Incompetent? Yes…..Not learning from previous mistakes…Definitely….Suspicious? Yes, because in the normal course of business these multiple (compounded) errors never happen.

As you replied to a comment inferring stealing, your use of the word suspicious  just adds to any implied underhandedness.

You can dress it up in flowery speak as much as you want but mistakes are mistakes and are made with no criminal intent so are still errors but not suspicious and you should not be inferring anything other than general  incompetence.

To do so is inferring Cunard has some nefarious intent in mind rather than general  clumsiness, which, I grant, should not happen but to repeat, is not made with a deliberate intent to deceive.

Upshot

Keep a tight watch on expenditure; check final statement to ensure everything is included and watch CC statement like a hawk!

Edited by Victoria2
  • Like 3

10 minutes ago, PORT ROYAL said:

Suspicious? Yes, because in the normal course of business these multiple (compounded) errors never happen.

If you read the financial advice pages of any newspaper, you will see that, regrettably, they do.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Victoria2 said:

You can dress it up in flowery speak as much as you want but mistakes are mistakes and are made with no criminal intent so are still errors but not suspicious and you should not be inferring anything other than general  incompetence.

To do so is inferring Cunard has some nefarious intent in mind rather than general  clumsiness, which, I grant, should not happen but to repeat, is not made with a deliberate intent to deceive.

Upshot

Keep a tight watch on expenditure; check final statement to ensure everything is included and watch CC statement like a hawk!

And, in the U.K. at least, you are expected to take reasonable steps to mitigate your loss, which I think might include a phone call to Cunard.

• Like 1