Do you have to be rich or well off to go on 🌏cruise

lovegod01

• 2 months later...

The simple answer is you do NOT have to be "rich" to go on a world cruise.  Certainly, your financial circumstances will have a bearing on which world cruise you choose to travel on and the frequency for which you will take world cruises, but it is not a prerequisite on sailing around the world.

I am making the assumption from your post that you do not consider yourself rich (nor do I).  So I would suggest treating a world cruise like an investment just as you would any large expenditure.  My wife and I began saving for a world cruise in 2005--and subsequently used that fund to pay off our house mortgage in 2014.  However, in 2020 we realized that we could afford--with about two years' savings--to take a World Cruise this year (I'm on day 29).  We are not traveling on Regent which was our original plan.  But we didn't pay Regent prices either.

If going on a world cruise really is something you want to do, I recommend do your research and then make and keep to a investment plan to make it a reality.  It is an achievable goal.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I am at the moment on my 2023 Costa World Cruise and really happy. I noticed prices have gone up all around for World Cruises and I am fortunate to have 2024 booked at the price I would have paid for 2022 which was cancelled. Right now noticed that Costa has released their World Cruise 2025 which actually will start in December 2024 and the price is right 🙂 . Having been to many of the ports already  I will not be on it and now thinking what else I might look into - maybe Amazon or go back to extended Land-trips and do Asia including South Korea. There is a large world out there waiting to be explored. Enjoy looking for the trip which suits you most and hopefully you will manage to do it at a reasonable price. If price is not an object go for any of the high priced lines. I am to much of an penny-pincher/accountant to waste any money on my vacations - bite me.

• 3 months later...

Finished my 2023 World Cruise on Costa - this is what it has cost me:

Air-fare (only 1 way, return on Credit Card Points) - please remember I am flying a long way:

$ 1181.00 - Premium Economy

Cruise Cost including Service-Charge, Port Fees, Insurance and additional tips: $ 29914.33

full Internet Package for the 128 days: $ 538.00

upgrade on Drink package (a waste of money in my case, since wine, beer and water with lunch and dinner are included and my extra drinks like Cappuccino, cocktails and water were much less): 2460.00

Excursions - and I did not safe any money there, includes 2 overland trips, to Taj Mahal and Iguaza Falls: $ 5788.00

Laundry: $ 257.00

Total $ 40,138.33

But please take into account that this includes all excursions, the ones I did want to take - not just some the cruise-line will include. And Single occupancy - interior cabin.

I saw that 2025 Costa single is a little more expensive, but still a great deal.

I am also booked on the 2024 cruise and will not make the mistake again to upgrade to an additional drink-package because again in my case it is a waste of money.

I hear Princess had offered a single 2024 including drink-package and internet for $ 39.000 - but not sure whether there are any excursions included.

So shop around. I had a great time and never kept myself on any budget but did what I wanted to do. I had been offered an upgrade to balcony cabin at a reasonable rate but did not take it because I am comfortable in the interior, nowhere can offer me the view I have from my bedroom at home 🙂🏞🙂I do like the quiet and darkness of the interior cabin, it helps me sleep and I would be up on Deck 10 looking out on the ocean checking my e-mails or reading whenever I felt the need - free of charge. And cruising into and out of ports we were usually in the dining room or buffet restaurant anyhow.

So shop around, it is doable. My friend here was laughing, 4 1/2 month for that amount - the luxury yacht she works on is $ 40.000 for a week.

Edited by BVILady
forgot one item
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

wow - that is $ 36670.00 for 2 persons in the cabin (fare and taxes) without anything, my costs were single-occupancy including everything. I can see the demand for World Cruises is really driving up the prices. LOL Luxury Inside Suite - my inside cabin is just perfect for me alone. And for a World Cruise believe me all the closet space is filled.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, BVILady said:

Finished my 2023 World Cruise on Costa - this is what it has cost me:

Air-fare (only 1 way, return on Credit Card Points) - please remember I am flying a long way:

$ 1181.00 - Premium Economy

Cruise Cost including Service-Charge, Port Fees, Insurance and additional tips: $ 29914.33

full Internet Package for the 128 days: $ 538.00

upgrade on Drink package (a waste of money in my case, since wine, beer and water with lunch and dinner are included and my extra drinks like Cappuccino, cocktails and water were much less): 2460.00

Excursions - and I did not safe any money there, includes 2 overland trips, to Taj Mahal and Iguaza Falls: $ 5788.00

Laundry: $ 257.00

Total $ 40,138.33

But please take into account that this includes all excursions, the ones I did want to take - not just some the cruise-line will include. And Single occupancy - interior cabin.

I saw that 2025 Costa single is a little more expensive, but still a great deal.

I am also booked on the 2024 cruise and will not make the mistake again to upgrade to an additional drink-package because again in my case it is a waste of money.

I hear Princess had offered a single 2024 including drink-package and internet for $ 39.000 - but not sure whether there are any excursions included.

So shop around. I had a great time and never kept myself on any budget but did what I wanted to do. I had been offered an upgrade to balcony cabin at a reasonable rate but did not take it because I am comfortable in the interior, nowhere can offer me the view I have from my bedroom at home 🙂🏞🙂I do like the quiet and darkness of the interior cabin, it helps me sleep and I would be up on Deck 10 looking out on the ocean checking my e-mails or reading whenever I felt the need - free of charge. And cruising into and out of ports we were usually in the dining room or buffet restaurant anyhow.

So shop around, it is doable. My friend here was laughing, 4 1/2 month for that amount - the luxury yacht she works on is $ 40.000 for a week.

Great to see you enjoyed your recent World Cruise.

The luxury yacht market is normally significantly > $40K/wk, as many are over $ 1 million/wk. Our son's most recent charter was over US $2 million per week and that was bareboat charter, so fuel, food, drinks, etc were extra.

Therefore, World Cruises on cruise ships are reasonably affordable.😁

• Like 2

On 6/2/2023 at 9:23 AM, BVILady said:

wow - that is $ 36670.00 for 2 persons in the cabin (fare and taxes) without anything, my costs were single-occupancy including everything. I can see the demand for World Cruises is really driving up the prices. LOL Luxury Inside Suite - my inside cabin is just perfect for me alone. And for a World Cruise believe me all the closet space is filled.

At that price, one could buy a new car or go on a world cruise.  I'll skip the new car and opt for the WC.

Just depends what's important to you.  

• Like 3

Referring back to original thread question

The price of a World cruise per person per day seems to us to look like an expensive trip, however it is something that we would truly like to tick off our bucket list as a very different chapter in our lives.

As many cruise critic members have stated, it is possible to pay for something if you make choices.

We are a few years away from retirement (2027) but do cruise and holiday, but would love to treat ourselves to

a world cruise as a retirement present to ourselves the year after.  However, we think it would not be sensible to risk spending money from pension savings to facilitate this desire.

I do not think my wife would mind me saying that she is not very good at saving but we hit upon in my opinion a good motivation tactic.  We quite liked the look of Princess World cruise, so we priced up a cruise by selecting cabin added a plus package for simplicity.  Then we knew total price, and £ per day.

Once we knew the price, I converted to the itinerary and could electronically mark our progress by the amount saved, versus itinerary day achieved.

After saving for 2 1/2 years and some good fortune we are currently ‘Sailing towards Croatia on day 74 of a 116 day cruise, all Virtually of course.

Each Friday night in our local pub, we have a look to see how far we have got.

We had a bad spell last year when stock markets went down and we floated around on day 54 for weeks, and even went backwards for a long time.

Obviously Price of cruise goes up each year, we just go back a few days, sometimes the voyage itinerary or voyage length changes. We just reset once a year
 but I think it is possible we will now be able to afford this present yourselves. 

It is our little bit of fun, but hopefully we will be on the real thing in 2028 if our commitment to saving and our little game continues.

(Might not be Princess, might not be Island, might not be 116 days, but we think it will be a World cruise)

Bob & Liz

• Like 10

19 hours ago, BobandLizM said:

We quite liked the look of Princess World cruise, so we priced up a cruise by selecting cabin added a plus package for simplicity.  Then we knew total price, and £ per day.

Once we knew the price, I converted to the itinerary and could electronically mark our progress by the amount saved, versus itinerary day achieved.

After saving for 2 1/2 years and some good fortune we are currently ‘Sailing towards Croatia on day 74 of a 116 day cruise, all Virtually of course.

What a great idea! I'm going to do the same.  🙂

I also think of the money we will not be spending at home. I figure by not being home and not buying food, not driving cars, not using any utilities, and so on, we would be saving about $4k/month so on a four-month cruise that would be $16k not spent at home but on the cruise instead.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Guinness1000 said:

What a great idea! I'm going to do the same.  🙂

I also think of the money we will not be spending at home. I figure by not being home and not buying food, not driving cars, not using any utilities, and so on, we would be saving about $4k/month so on a four-month cruise that would be $16k not spent at home but on the cruise instead.

I like the way you think.  I rationalize the cost by driving 20 and 25 year old vehicles that still look brand new and run like a top.  I tell myself that by not buying a new car or truck every four or five years, I have more than paid for my world cruise.

• Like 1

For the duration cancel all streaming services and turn off air conditioning.  You can save quite a bit on car insurance by notifying the insurer your cars will not be on the road for 4+ months but in a locked garage on a battery tender.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1