Schipol is a mess - Please leave extra time!!

Schipol has been a mess for a few weeks now. Hours long lines for departure with many missing their flights. Arrivals have not been a piece of cake either. Supposedly a plan will be announced tomorrow in an attempt to resolve the issues. That plan may include up to 30% flight cancelations. Please make sure to continuously check your flights and allow extra time. 

• Thanks 5

We flew through Schipol in late April and also had to deal with a several hour delay.  In fact, our flight was held in Nice because they could not get the necessary clearance to get into Schipol.  Our Dutch pilot actually came out of the cockpit and apologized to all the passengers on behalf of KLM.  The problem is that there are some labor union problems (stoppages, strikes, etc) and not enough staff to handle the usual flow of flights and passengers.  The day we flew into Schipol (4/26) the flight boards showed dozens of cancelations and nearly every flight being delayed for 1-2 hours.   It was a mess.

Bottom line is that although we normally favor Schipol because of its efficiency, this summer is truly different.  Folks might want to consider avoiding Schipol and using other European airports.

Hank

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We disembarked Rotterdam in Amsterdam on Sunday and I agree that Schiphol is a bit of chaotic mess.  It took us over an hour and a half to get us and our bags checked in, get through passport control, and security.  The lines were insanely long.  And then there was that VERY long walk to our departure gate.  It was a very stressful experience.

Anyone flying out of AMS should plan on arriving there a minimum of 3 hours in advance of their flight.  3.5 hours would be even better.

Edited by Taters
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Taters said:

We disembarked Rotterdam in Amsterdam on Sunday and I agree that Schiphol is a bit of chaotic mess.  It took us over an hour and a half to get us and our bags checked in, get through passport control, and security.  The lines were insanely long.  And then there was that VERY long walk to our departure gate.  It was a very stressful experience.

Anyone flying out of AMS should plan on arriving there a minimum of 3 hours in advance of their flight.  3.5 hours would be even better.

Do they have an expedited business class lane? 

That's funny; I've preferred AMS since I had an experience like that at CDG (Paris) - baggage handlers were on strike or something. Seems to be not uncommon in all of western Europe. The one time I was in Italy, we were delayed half a day to one stop because the railroads went on strike.

5 hours ago, Laminator said:

They do, at least for check in. My last flights in 2019 were to/from here, and it was also a nightmare when I was there. Flights were delayed on our way in, and we waited for hours in passport control due to a lack of staffing with the bottleneck of flights coming in at once.

Then our original flight home post-cruise got canceled. We couldn’t reach AA by phone prior to leaving the ship due to technical issues causing hours’ long waits in the US, and had to sort out our cancellation at the airport. All passengers for the canceled flight had to stand in the same line, they did not allow business class to use the priority lane. Our flight was rescheduled to the next day, and we were allowed to use the expedited lane, which saved considerable time. I believe they allowed us to use a priority security lane after, but recall thinking it wasn’t that much faster that day. ymmv.

Best wishes to all!

Edited by syesmar
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, syesmar said:

They do, at least for check in. My last flights in 2019 were to/from here, and it was also a nightmare when I was there. Flights were delayed on our way in, and we waited for hours in passport control due to a lack of staffing with the bottleneck of flights coming in at once.

Then our original flight home post-cruise got canceled. We couldn’t reach AA by phone prior to leaving the ship due to technical issues causing hours’ long waits in the US, and had to sort out our cancellation at the airport. All the passengers had to stand in the same line, they did not allow business class to use the priority lane. Our flight was rescheduled to the next day, and we were allowed to use it, which saved considerable time. I believe they allowed us to use a priority security lane after, but recall thinking it wasn’t that much faster that day. ymmv.

Best wishes to all!

Thank You....It is my understanding they are facing a double edged sword. There are issues with at least one of the unions and also a shortage of security personnel. There is some discussion of bringing in the military to assist. According to my friend who lives in the Netherlands they are supposed to announce a plan to resolve these issues tomorrow.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

And important notice to all - it's not just Schiphol - US airports are experiencing 30% airline cancellations due to staffing deficiencies. One of our main legs to Amsterdam was cancelled with 8 hours notice. If we were not frequent experienced travelers, we would not be getting to our 5/29 cruise out of Amsterdam - the only open flights would've been a day late with the only airline comment "sorry - out of our control". Our experience gave us the ability to "get it done" and we're on our way. Folks - it's going to be a very challenging summer/tourist season of travel in 2022. Best advice - check your bookings frequently (especially on Sat/Sun because that's when a lot of them change) and especially every day in the last week before you travel!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Alphen said:

It can change by the minute, currently at Schiphol airport departing intercontinental, checking in was a breeze, including security and passports, under 10 minutes!

Our final experience was good, the day before was a nightmare! One just never knows from

day-to-day!

3 hours ago, boze9999 said:

And important notice to all - it's not just Schiphol - US airports are experiencing 30% airline cancellations due to staffing deficiencies….Folks - it's going to be a very challenging summer/tourist season of travel in 2022. Best advice - check your bookings frequently (especially on Sat/Sun because that's when a lot of them change) and especially every day in the last week before you travel!

Good advice! Even though my last issue at Schiphol was pre-pandemic, I went in with a list of backup flights and airport hotels “just in case” (and we needed both), and if I had not, wouldn’t have had good connections (that they tried to reschedule for us), our journey back home would’ve been much longer and not in business class that we’d paid for. 

AA didn’t give guidance on allowable expenses for hotels, they just told us to go and find one and turn the expense in later. We went back to the airport hotel where we had spent our first night after landing and they had one room we could check in right away, so we were fortunate. Of course any last-minute hotel in Europe is going to be expensive, and they initially didn’t want to pay for all of it, but everything worked out after going back and forth, but it was a hassle. But I knew our passenger rights. We were able to claim EU Regulation EC 261/2004 for the delay.

Edited by syesmar
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, Taters said:

We flew out of Schiphol on May 1. Three hours-plus in line to go through security. It was awful. 
We made our plane, luckily.

On 5/26/2022 at 2:48 PM, Laminator said:

They do, but there were panicking business class passengers who had been sent to the regular line that we were in.  It didn't seem to matter that they were business class pax at all.  When a passenger in line next to us asked an employee about it and asked if they could please change to the business class line, they were told, "It's just as long.  There's no point."  Sigh.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Taters said:

They do, but there were panicking business class passengers who had been sent to the regular line that we were in.  It didn't seem to matter that they were business class pax at all.  When a passenger in line next to us asked an employee about it and asked if they could please change to the business class line, they were told, "It's just as long.  There's no point."  Sigh.

Not what I wanted to hear...LOL!!!

• Like 1

@Mary229 Hi...I need your help again. I saw you post about the Schipol airport Hilton. I just can't find it again. Can you please explain the benefits? My cardiologist is not thrilled i am going on this cruise as he wanted one more test done before we leave. Unfortunately i can't schedule the test before the cruise. There is not a chance in hell I could stand in those lines for that long. How does the Hilton save me. As it is I will be in a wheelchair going thru the airport. At my cardiologists insistence. 

20 minutes ago, Laminator said:

@Mary229 Hi...I need your help again. I saw you post about the Schipol airport Hilton. I just can't find it again. Can you please explain the benefits? My cardiologist is not thrilled i am going on this cruise as he wanted one more test done before we leave. Unfortunately i can't schedule the test before the cruise. There is not a chance in hell I could stand in those lines for that long. How does the Hilton save me. As it is I will be in a wheelchair going thru the airport. At my cardiologists insistence. 

Ask your airline to reserve assistance in advance. If it works out personnel of Schiphoil will wait for your arrival with wheelchair and/or electric cart.  I donot know how it works out in the circumstances of today, but DH and I were rolled quick and easy through (upon departure and arrival and the same in the airport of our destination).  Because of the circumstances at Schiphol (lack of qualified personnel), it could take a bit longer...

5 minutes ago, MAVIP said:

Ask your airline to reserve assistance in advance. If it works out personnel of Schiphoil will wait for your arrival with wheelchair and/or electric cart.  I donot know how it works out in the circumstances of today, but DH and I were rolled quick and easy through (upon departure and arrival and the same in the airport of our destination).  Because of the circumstances at Schiphol (lack of qualified personnel), it could take a bit longer...

Like Mary229 you are also an amazing goto for me. I know how it works at Chicago O'Hare. I am not sure how it works at Schipol. I have already confirmed with United that the wheelchair has been ordered for both the outgoing and incoming flights. The length of time it takes to get through the lines is not as important as getting the wheelchair in a timely fashion. What makes me nervous about Schipol is I tried to order a luggage porter for our arrival. The response I received was that they could not guaranty service. I could call when we land. Ugh!!! I am sure we can grab a luggage cart if need be. My DW will not let me help though. My cardiologist, although not happy, said if I go to take it very easy. I will tell my DW not to pack 400lbs of stuff in the luggage...LOL!!! 
Once again thank you for your help!!!

13 minutes ago, Laminator said:

. What makes me nervous about Schipol is I tried to order a luggage porter for our arrival. The response I received was that they could not guaranty service. I could call when we land. Ugh!!! I am sure we can grab a luggage cart if need be. My DW will not let me help though. My cardiologist, although not happy, said if I go to take it very easy. I will tell my DW not to pack 400lbs of stuff in the luggage...LOL!!! 
Once again thank you for your help!!!

Thank you for your kind words..  The answer to the "porter problem" might be or is here:  https://www.schiphol.nl/en/at-schiphol/services/porter-service   I really hope it works out for you and your wife. Stay healthy and enjoy Amsterdam and the cruise.

PS In my opinion you only need the porter service after the assitance you will get at the exit of your plane.

Edited by MAVIP
PS

4 minutes ago, MAVIP said:

Thank you for your kind words..  The answer to the "porter problem" might be or is here:  https://www.schiphol.nl/en/at-schiphol/services/porter-service   I really hope it works out for you and your wife. Stay healthy and enjoy Amsterdam and the cruise.

PS In my opinion you only need the porter service after the assitance you will get at the exit of your plane.

That is who I contacted for the porter service. I think if I can get them to meet me at the luggage carousel all will be good. We have every intention of enjoying this cruise. It is our friend from Heerlan's 40th anniversary cruise.

@Laminator

both the Hilton and the Sheraton are in the airport.  If your porters can take you curbside, which should be the case, they can transport you to either hotel.  Literally in the airport.  

both the Sheraton and the Hilton had in hotel testing facilities.  Here is the Hilton

https://hiltonamsterdamairportschipol.wi-q.com/

this is the professional, quick testing service inside the Hilton 

https://jouwafspraak.nl/

also for ease of cruise boarding the Movenpick is next door to the terminal.  I enjoyed my stay there, it is at the quiet end of a street with a harbor view.  We enjoyed just hanging out people watching.  Nice buffet breakfast and a subway 2 doors down if you don’t want to “go out”, not exactly heart healthy but after 30 days of cruising a sub was just what I wanted 😉

Edited by Mary229
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Mary229 said:

@Laminator

both the Hilton and the Sheraton are in the airport.  If your porters can take you curbside, which should be the case, they can transport you to either hotel.  Literally in the airport.  

both the Sheraton and the Hilton had in hotel testing facilities.  Here is the Hilton

https://hiltonamsterdamairportschipol.wi-q.com/

this is the professional, quick testing service inside the Hilton 

https://jouwafspraak.nl/

As always thank you!!!