Disembarking at Civitaveccia

jtslattery

I have been trying unsucessfully to get Celebrity to tell me why I can schedule a car pickup at the port to take us to FCO (Rome Airport)

The ship is scheduled to arrive in the port at 5:00AM. The previous stop is Naples.I have been told by several reps is the fastest way off is to carry your luggage off. Beyond that the reps (transferred to 5) have been less than useful. One saying I could get off at 6 am, another that I could not get off till 10am and another telling me its a 3 hr drive from port to airport (45-60 minutes). Does anyone have any experience that would allow me to schedule the car. I realize the ship could be delayed but would appreciate the best estimate.  We will be carrying our luggage off.

6 minutes ago, jtslattery said:

I have been trying unsucessfully to get Celebrity to tell me why I can schedule a car pickup at the port to take us to FCO (Rome Airport)

The ship is scheduled to arrive in the port at 5:00AM. The previous stop is Naples.I have been told by several reps is the fastest way off is to carry your luggage off. Beyond that the reps (transferred to 5) have been less than useful. One saying I could get off at 6 am, another that I could not get off till 10am and another telling me its a 3 hr drive from port to airport (45-60 minutes). Does anyone have any experience that would allow me to schedule the car. I realize the ship could be delayed but would appreciate the best estimate.  We will be carrying our luggage off.

We have carried off our luggage, disembarking at 7:00 AM.  Of course, anything can happen, but just make sure you have enough timee to get to the airport and catch your flight.  You did not say the time of your flight.

Sorry you couldn't get a straight answer.   The ship does arrive very early and will be at the dock at 6:00 AM.   The ship has to be cleared by Immigration and port authorities.  There should be no delays but at times there are.   Disembarkation usually begins around 6:30 with Walk Offs followed with the numbering system.  The ship will be totally cleared no later than 9:00. 

The drive from the Port to FCO takes approximately 40-45 minutes.    I've scheduled pickup before at 8:00 and had no trouble making a noon flight.     If you are flying to the U.S. from FCO on a U.S. Carrier the check in is at Terminal 5 and could take 1 hour to 1 1/2 hours  -  They usually recommend to allow 3 hours to check in and get to your departure terminal.

• Like 2

You are asking the impossible.  We have disembarked as early as 6am with no customs - NOTHING at all - to as late as 8am with customs taking what felt forever.

If you order a car it can pick you up at the pier and will simply wait until disembarkation.   

It is a LONG drive to FCO.  If things go perfectly about 1 hour +/-.  If there is an accident which is not unusual in Italy; add time.  No way to predict.

Airport checkin is the same.  We have done it in 30 minutes from club to gate.  The last time closer to 3 hours as there was a worker strike.  Delta suggests 3 hours.  I think probably closer to 2.

Just allow plenty of time.

Edited by Arizona Wildcat
  • Like 1

We disembarked Edge on May 6 in Civitaveccia. We did the walk-off, carrying our bags. That service was advertised to begin at 6:30am, and it did. 

There were *no* immigration/customs formalities to go through in the terminal. We were on the Transatlantic cruise from Ft Lauderdale. 

The pre-reserved car services were right outside the terminal holding signs with customer names. Extremely easy to locate. We arrived at FCO airport just after 7:30am for our 11:00am flight. Thank God we’d done the eMed proctored tests in our stateroom then day before, so didn’t have to mess with testing at the airport. Avoid that at all costs! Navigating FCO through all the steps and procedures was long and time-consuming even though we had all our ducks in a row (necessary forms uploaded to produce our boarding passes, etc). 

You can Google Civitaviccia to FCO car services as there are many. We used Rome Chauffeur and they were great. Cost was roughly $130 US for a very nice vehicle. 

• Like 5

As most have said a walk off at Civi is easy, it's what we do at all European ports and usually hassle free (that said we have not cruised since covid so there may be changes). In Civi our hotel always collects us pre and post cruise for transfers to/from Fiumicino, it's a quick journey of a hour at most and worth the 120 Euro for hassle free travel.

We have also used the company the above poster mentions, they were excellent as our Heathrow flight was delayed by six hours and they were waiting for us having checked the flight status. Just as well we travelled ahead of embarkation day as we saw the cruise ships all heading into the distance as we went along the coastal road.

I would recommend Rome Cabs for airport transfer, they have the advantage of knowing this route inside out and backwards ( as have many other cab companies) the benefit being they will also know of any short cuts if there is a delay. Large modern cars ( usually Mercedes) and professional drivers. Cost about €130 to airport. We have walked off from Civitavecchia many times and they have always been waiting to pick us up for airport transfers. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, sunlover33 said:

I would recommend Rome Cabs for airport transfer, they have the advantage of knowing this route inside out and backwards ( as have many other cab companies) the benefit being they will also know of any short cuts if there is a delay. Large modern cars ( usually Mercedes) and professional drivers. Cost about €130 to airport. We have walked off from Civitavecchia many times and they have always been waiting to pick us up for airport transfers. 

I agree with recommendation of Rome Cabs (they don't use cabs usually Mercedes).   I've never had a problem with them and they were always there ahead of schedule. 

• Like 2

Romecabs are great, we had an 8am pick up, for a 1pm flight and had plenty of time at the airport. Highly recommend carrying your own luggage off the ship, as the fork lift dropped ours into the sea. Was not the best end to a great cruise… 

• Like 1

I’m considering booking one of these companies for our upcoming cruise in September.  When you walk off the ship with luggage (never have done this before) are you required to disembark at a specified time? Our flight is not until 1:45 pm so getting transport at say 7:00 am might be a bit early for us but I’m not sure we have an option to disembark later. Are you able to just walk easily to where the transport is waiting for you or is there a shuttle or something that takes you to the gates? We certainly don’t mind being at the airport super early but would like to be able to maybe enjoy a nice breakfast on the ship before disembarking. 

1 hour ago, Wendylet said:

I’m considering booking one of these companies for our upcoming cruise in September.  When you walk off the ship with luggage (never have done this before) are you required to disembark at a specified time? Our flight is not until 1:45 pm so getting transport at say 7:00 am might be a bit early for us but I’m not sure we have an option to disembark later. Are you able to just walk easily to where the transport is waiting for you or is there a shuttle or something that takes you to the gates? We certainly don’t mind being at the airport super early but would like to be able to maybe enjoy a nice breakfast on the ship before disembarking. 

If you do the Self Walk Off, it is the first group that is called to disembark.  Here is the disembarkation information that was issued for our Solstice sailing that ended in Sydney (Jan 4 2020) to give you an idea of what the schedule looks like: link

That having been said, you are free to leave the ship anytime after your disembarkation group number is called.  So technically you can do the Self Walk Off at any time once the disembarkation process begins.  Almost everyone that is doing the Self Walk Off is doing it so that they can get off the ship early and be first in line to pass thru customs/immigration and the taxi lines, etc, so that they get to their airport early enough to get through all the lines to catch their morning flight.  Doing Self Walk Off at your leisure defeats that purpose.

The large number of people doing Self Walk Off may surprise you so even that may not be a fast process.

Edited by mahdnc

3 hours ago, mahdnc said:

If you do the Self Walk Off, it is the first group that is called to disembark.  Here is the disembarkation information that was issued for our Solstice sailing that ended in Sydney (Jan 4 2020) to give you an idea of what the schedule looks like: link

That having been said, you are free to leave the ship anytime after your disembarkation group number is called.  So technically you can do the Self Walk Off at any time once the disembarkation process begins.  Almost everyone that is doing the Self Walk Off is doing it so that they can get off the ship early and be first in line to pass thru customs/immigration and the taxi lines, etc, so that they get to their airport early enough to get through all the lines to catch their morning flight.  Doing Self Walk Off at your leisure defeats that purpose.

The large number of people doing Self Walk Off may surprise you so even that may not be a fast process.

Thank you so much for that information. It’s definitely tricky trying to figure out timing in this situation but your information has been very helpful. Much appreciated. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Wendylet said:

Staterooms generally need to be vacated by 8am. So if you do choose to be leisurely and enjoy breakfast, you’ll be schlepping your luggage about everywhere you go if you choose the walk-off option. 

22 hours ago, bunnyette said:

No 7 am isn’t too early.  You have to go through several security checks at FCO…better to be sitting & enjoying a snack near the boarding gate than anxiously standing in your 3rd security check.

Can you tell me if there is a shuttle involved in transporting you to the gates of the port? My husband seems to think there is one and I can’t recall. 

or.. horror!!!   the ship can't make it to the port due to bad weather and they disembark you in Naples.. Yes it happened except we were waiting to board and Celebrity bussed all of us to Naples  and those getting off were all bussed to Rome. They started bussing from Naples around 2am. . They fed us water and candy bars on the bus. At least those disembarking had the choice of being taken to the airport or port. Hopefully this never happens again!!

3 minutes ago, gold1953 said:

or.. horror!!!   the ship can't make it to the port due to bad weather and they disembark you in Naples.. Yes it happened except we were waiting to board and Celebrity bussed all of us to Naples  and those getting off were all bussed to Rome. They started bussing from Naples around 2am. . They fed us water and candy bars on the bus. At least those disembarking had the choice of being taken to the airport or port. Hopefully this never happens again!!

That must have been quite a line of buses.

11 minutes ago, mahdnc said:

That must have been quite a line of buses.

I can't wrap my head around the logistics of this!. I heard those disembarking were annoyed by the in cabin announcements all night long. I was ignoring the constant messages from Celebrity which only stopped when I acknowledged the issue. Took a message from friends  who were also going to get me to ready it. 1 I seriously though they were joking!

and the expense!!  wow

I contacted the Captains Club & asked what would be the earliest we could self disembark & was told anytime from 6am. Our flight is at 1130 so we have booked Civitavecchia Cars for 0700 to take us to FCO.  There is an extra charge for pick ups before 0700

On 5/28/2022 at 5:03 AM, BEAV said:

Staterooms generally need to be vacated by 8am. So if you do choose to be leisurely and enjoy breakfast, you’ll be schlepping your luggage about everywhere you go if you choose the walk-off option. 

I would rather be schlepping my luggage around than have it shlopping in the sea! Ours were so water logged when they recovered them from the water we had to abandon them, fly home empty handed and over two weeks on are still waiting for it to be returned. 

To the original poster, I am sure you can have breakfast, then take your cases off at time to suit you, and get a good transfer company- Romecabs or Bobs Limos both excellent and will be waiting just out of the port exit next to the gangway, no distance at all. Have a great cruise! 

In April 2022, we shared a Bob"s Limo with another couple, we met through our  cruise critic roll call.  They had a reservation for four at 9:30 and the other couple they booked for had to cancel the cruise.  Since we were overnight at the Rome airport, we decided to share.  Our part was 55 Euros, the vehicle was a very nice spacious Mercedes mini van.    We all four walked off and ended up waiting about an hour for the ride because it was booked for such a late time.  The van arrived about 15 minutes before the scheduled time.  We were at the airport before 10:30 because that was the time the driver dropped us at the hotel after dropping the other couple at the terminal.  I didn't write down the time we left the port after luggage was loaded etc.  All the off loaded luggage was set up and waiting when we got off around 8:30.  I think you could safely book at 8:00 to 8:30 because the drivers, and there are lots of them with signs will wait for you a reasonable time if you are delayed.  At FCO, the gates for airlines to the USA (such as American) are at the far end of the international terminal behind a wall and the security line for flights to the US after you check in is at the other end of the terminal.  Definitely take the test online so you are ready when you get to FCO.  

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Wendylet said:

Can you tell me if there is a shuttle involved in transporting you to the gates of the port? My husband seems to think there is one and I can’t recall. 

Yes, there is a shuttle to get out of the port. Walking through the port is not generally a good idea as it is large and industrial.

However, pre-arranged cars/vans are allowed to pick up their passengers just outside the terminal. And the ship transfers load from there as well.

Only those going on to the train station or to try to find a taxi without pre-reserving (or otherwise wanting to go into CIvitavecchia on their own) need to worry about getting to the main port gate via the shuttle.

NOTE:  At the moment, the port shuttles are picking and dropping off in a slightly different location to years past. And there may also be a shuttle at shipside that will take you direct to the train station unlike before. You can read more about it here, on the Italy ports of call forum:  

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, lydnsyd said:

On disembarking do we have to go through immigration at 

In 5 arrivals.  4 times no customs or immigration- ZERO.  The other time a very line line as they examined things carefully.  Seemed looking for something.

There were four shuttle busses each time we in Civitavecchia.  No wait longer than 15 minutes.

Walking through the port was not allowed and would be a long walk anyway.

Edited by Arizona Wildcat
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, ladylemondrop said:

I would rather be schlepping my luggage around than have it shlopping in the sea! Ours were so water logged when they recovered them from the water we had to abandon them, fly home empty handed and over two weeks on are still waiting for it to be returned. 

To the original poster, I am sure you can have breakfast, then take your cases off at time to suit you, and get a good transfer company- Romecabs or Bobs Limos both excellent and will be waiting just out of the port exit next to the gangway, no distance at all. Have a great cruise! 

I meant just outside the terminal exit, not the port, when we docked couple weeks ago, the ship was so close to the terminal we could see all the drivers waiting with names from the gangway, right in front of us. But, I guess it depends sometimes how many ships are in. There was no customs or immigration.

Edited by ladylemondrop
  • Like 1