Food quality post COVID?

LB_NJ

11 hours ago, ORV said:

Form your own conclusion.

Red Ginger was the only place on our previous O cruise, in 2017, which was disappointing. We have made our two reservations for our forthcoming cruise but if we find the food is again medicocre, we'll cancel the second one.

• Like 1

Wife and I found the food outstanding on our 10-day 12/21 cruise on Riviera. No complaints from us for any of the restaurants, whether breakfast, lunch or dinner. Delicious. I fell in love with Waves in the AM and the Terrace Cafe in the PM (eating under the stars outside aft).

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, firsttimers68 said:

As I said in a later posting, having just come off 3 different cruises I mixed up the name of Terrace Cafe with Seabourn's Colonnade.😉

😂 Easier to just call it the Buffet. I’ve been on 20+ day cruises where the actual Terrace was closed due to seas and weather, but the buffet line went everyday. Effectively no “ terrace” at all, just a buffet dining venue indoors.

10 minutes ago, pinotlover said:

😂 Easier to just call it the Buffet. I’ve been on 20+ day cruises where the actual Terrace was closed due to seas and weather, but the buffet line went everyday. Effectively no “ terrace” at all, just a buffet dining venue indoors.

Do you mean they closed the Terrace Cafe??

Where did  they have the buffet line??

On our crossing in 2019 the Terrace was open but the aft deck seating was closed off  the seas were very rough  so we stuck to the GDR

Lyn;

The outside deck, from which the name “ Terrace “ was derived, was continually closed. The inside seating for the buffet went as normal. Normal, that is, except eliminating all the outside capacity just made the inside more crowded. The GDR was always a welcomed refuge when open.

On 5/26/2022 at 9:37 PM, PhD-iva said:

I was very happy with the food overall in November 2021 for a transAtlantic from Rome to Miami on Riviera. It was a great cruise, and I really have no complaints about anything except the Miami airport! AUGH! 

8 minutes ago, SophieM said:

Apparently, I don’t know how to reply to a post. Yikes. My question was to PhD-iva, or anyone else, actually, who has done the November TA. 

To quote a single post quote,  just click on the word "Quote" then add your comments below the quote, not in the quote box.

To quote multiple quotes click on the "+" for each post, then click on the word box that says "post xxx quotes" to add your comments below the quotes (not in the quote box).

Edited by 1985rz1

Sophie,

We too we’re on the November 2021 TA on Riviera with Robin and it was a great trip. We had a couple of windy days when they had to shut down the top deck to golfers and shuffleboard but the seas never seemed to be over 2-3 meters. Weather was quite comfortable and the pools were busy. Food and service exceptional.  We have taken the November TA’s twice from Rome to Miami and the Atlantic was like glass.  We did a Southampton to Reykjavik to NYC October 2019 and that trip was also flat seas. We have never sailed to Europe in the Spring but we have had friends do it and encountered some rough seas due to storms so the Captain just adjusted the route. 

just go and enjoy the trip. 
Mauibabes, aka Bonnie and Gerry 

• Like 1

We were on the TA with the others that November and I concur that the weather and seas were pretty nice.  We had some drizzle in Rome but nothing terrible.  The worst day was in Cartagena, Spain.  We took a tour of a winery in a small town about two hours from the port.  The winery was nice and we enjoyed it very much but it was pouring and I thought I would drown in a bus that tipped over in a ditch.  It really was raining that hard.  But we made it back to the ship in one piece and we still have a bottle of wine we bought at the winery.  I told my husband we need to save it for a rainy day.

We really enjoyed that cruise.  There were a group of fun people aboard and even though we were at sea for nine days straight because our last port was canceled due to a volcanic eruption we felt the food was fresh right until we reached St Barts.

This was our second TA.  On the first one we went from Barcelona to Rio.  It was nice and we had some really warm weather as we crossed the equator.  The biggest drawback was when we got to Rio we still had a long flight home.  And if Robin thinks the Miami airport is bad she should experience Rio's.

We have another TA booked for November on another line.  I'm a little hesitant after our last cruise and spending six days in quarantine but my husband has a more adventerous spirit.  We have several months to decide.

I love TAs.  I guess it's because I love the relaxation of sitting on deck and meeting people and having a good time without the rush of having to get here and there all the time.  It may not be for everyone but it is something my husband and I can agree on and have a good time together.

• Like 3

I guess I wasn't clear when I said we were on the TA with others.  It was the Rome to Miami TA in November of 2021.

We had originally signed up for the Monte Carlo to Miami cruise but changed when they changed Monte Carlo to Barcelona.  We have rented a house in France for fall of 2023 for our fiftieth wedding anniversary and he wanted to check it out before the cruise started.  But we changed to a Caribbean cruise instead.  

1 hour ago, jonthomas said:

Sophie we are also on this itin. Come on over to the roll call. It falsely says Monte Carlo to Mia...but we are trying to get it fixed to say BAR to MIA. Nov 19, 2022.

Jon, our TA is on the Sirena November 4. Are we on different ones?

I’ve never found Red Ginger anything special, quite bland compared to Asian Fusion I’ve eaten in London , overall the food I’ve experienced on Riveria has  been excellent ., I do find that Toscana is not authentic Italian but very Americanised but the same can be said about Jaques it’s not truly French  and Polo is very old fashioned . But as I said in my first sentence I very much enjoy my food on the ship ., and am very much looking forward to boarding Riveria this Sept .

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Rosroz said:

I’ve never found Red Ginger anything special, quite bland compared to Asian Fusion I’ve eaten in London , overall the food I’ve experienced on Riveria has  been excellent ., I do find that Toscana is not authentic Italian but very Americanised but the same can be said about Jaques it’s not truly French  and Polo is very old fashioned . But as I said in my first sentence I very much enjoy my food on the ship ., and am very much looking forward to boarding Riveria this Sept .

Hiw is the Rack of Lamb in Red Ginger?

I was introduced to the Red Ginger  Rack of Lamb years ago by Boris, THE Restaurant Manager. He had stopped by our table to see how our meal was going and what we were ordering. I said the AWESOME Miso Glazed Sea Bass and he suggested if I liked lamb, I should try the Rack of Lamb because it was the best of any lamb served on the ship. IMHO HE WAS 100% CORRECT. HE called over a waiter and ordered a rack for me as a “taster” and I was hooked. I will order a “taster” rack for our table every time we are dining in RG so I can share this wonderful meal with our friends.  

The rack of lamb in Polo is good and the chops in the Terrace Cafe are very good but nothing compares to the RG Rack of Lamb, JMO. Of course you also must try the Duck and Watermelon Salad because it is a 12 on a 10 Point scale, again, JMHO. 

Ciao, Mauibabes

• Like 2

Asian rack of lamb! 😂😂

Part of that Americanization thing. Except for a cold weather thing, in a small part of China, lamb and Asian don’t go together. Even then it’s served as a stew or stir fry! 

Doesn’t mean it’s not tasty, just that it’s an American Fusion dish, nothing Asian about it at all. 

To be honest, I never thought of it as Asian as it is an herb crusted rack of lamb and it is delicious and far superior to any lamb served elsewhere on the ship. All I suggest is “Try it, you’ll like it”. 
Mauibabes