The Daily for Friday 05/27/2022

richwmn

A quick good afternoon before the next dryer load finishes.  Other than laundry, not much is going on around here today.

@Vict0riann  Ann, thank you for sharing your pictures.

@smitty34877  Terry,  🎂 HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOUR SON! 🎈

@JazzyV  Vanessa, I was sorry to see your county was elevated to "high transmission" level.  I'm glad you are wearing your mask and staying safe.  Take care.

@ger_77  Gerry, over the last 18 months or so, I've noticed we've lost quite a few posters who were active early in the history of the Daily and in the months that followed..  They are missed, but we also have gained many new Dailyites who also contribute to this safe haven on CC.

@Judypops  Welcome to the Daily, which is a very friendly and helpful thread on CC.  For me and I think many of the others, politics is the big no-no.  We hope to see more of you in the coming days and weeks.

Lenda

• Like 19
  • Thanks 2

We are staying in Barcelona and what to our surprise was walking down to the port area this afternoon and seeing a very familiar ship, our beloved Amsterdam in it's new colors as the Bolette of Fred Olsen Lines. She was just leaving as we got there.

20220527_163302.jpg

20220527_163121.jpg

20220527_163057.jpg

20220527_163117.jpg

• Like 26
  • Thanks 11

17 minutes ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

A quick good afternoon before the next dryer load finishes.  Other than laundry, not much is going on around here today.

@Vict0riann  Ann, thank you for sharing your pictures.

@smitty34877  Terry,  🎂 HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOUR SON! 🎈

@JazzyV  Vanessa, I was sorry to see your county was elevated to "high transmission" level.  I'm glad you are wearing your mask and staying safe.  Take care.

@ger_77  Gerry, over the last 18 months or so, I've noticed we've lost quite a few posters who were active early in the history of the Daily and in the months that followed..  They are missed, but we also have gained many new Dailyites who also contribute to this safe haven on CC.

@Judypops  Welcome to the Daily, which is a very friendly and helpful thread on CC.  For me and I think many of the others, politics is the big no-no.  We hope to see more of you in the coming days and weeks.

Lenda

Thank you for your helpful explanation Lenda.

Judy.

• Like 10

1 hour ago, kochleffel said:

Well, excuuuse me! 

It is news to me that The Daily has just one topic. I have reported post #4 (from me). Over and OUT.

Sorry if I offended you,   Of course there are multiple topics.  I enjoyed seeing your post of Corfu, that is what we are about.   I was trying to delicately put that it’s important that the threads are not over dominated by a few, not leaving room for Others.  The quote is from the CC guidelines.   Again I apologize if I was not clear.  In trying so very hard to be polite, perhaps clarity was lost.  

1 hour ago, Judypops said:

Hi Bennybear.

As a new poster  on this sweet thread would you be so kind to tell me what thread drift is on here so I don't fall foul of this.

I thought that only applies to a Live from cruise ship review not on a daily thread when posters are reliving what they have done on that day which can vary from cruising eating going for hospital treatment reporting ailments or even sadly death's.

I would like to personally thank all the posters who contribute to make this an enjoyable read every day.

Judy.❤️

Welcome Judy to the CC and the daily,  I quoted from the CC rules as we want anyone to feel welcome, and not to feel this is a private group.  

@Quartzsite Cruiser thanks for your explanation, and of course it is good that we do get new participants,  I just don’t want others to become disenchanted.  I was hoping that a gentle reminder may get us back on track.  

• Like 7
  • Thanks 6

17 minutes ago, bennybear said:

@Quartzsite Cruiser thanks for your explanation, and of course it is good that we do get new participants,  I just don’t want others to become disenchanted.  I was hoping that a gentle reminder may get us back on track.  

I did but then I got over it and came back well sorta.

RCI has a thread similar called "how was your lockdown"   but it is not a daily just one long 2000 pages of thread and quite a hoot at times.

• Like 10

6 hours ago, grapau27 said:

We had lunch out today.

Graham.

Pauline had a vegetarian mixed grill and I had the meat lovers mixed grill.

Graham 

IMG_20220527_123123.jpg

IMG_20220527_123136.jpg

well I could make a plate taking things from her plate and yours.

Your wife has a very nice smile. 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, kochleffel said:

No cats in the old town of Corfu but I finally saw elephants.

IMG_20220527_110948602.thumb.jpg.858ffec7598fe1cd0e6be62d083da87f.jpg

cute photo.

BTW I do not see anything wrong with your posting this.

I mean others talk about health, ports and ships they have been on and food photos etc.

It takes a while to be accepted on cc sometimes and this thread has different tone at times.

And BTW, thanks for NOT doing a large photo dump of many repeating photos.  Get my drift.

• Like 10

2 hours ago, bennybear said:

But I have been concerned that we seem to have lost a number of regular posters along the way, of note lately @erewhonAmong others.  

“We realize that in some instances, topic drift happens naturally. However, it does appear to be intentional by certain members. Please be considerate of your fellow members; posting off topic within a discussion -- 'hijacking' -- is boring and only wastes everyone's time. Think twice and, for some of you, even three times before posting off topic in an existing discussion: not "thinking" may result in loss of your posting privileges on Cruise Critic”

I am baffled as to why you would call out one poster.  Seems a bit not nice.

BTW I could make a comment about your pages of long photos dumps, but I won't.  Just less is better sometimes.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, bennybear said:

Good morning and a big thanks to all those who put so much effort into their posts.
 @richwmnwho creates this lovely place 

@rafinmd for his care and celebration lists

@dfishfor her great recipes

@summer slope for the drinks

@cat shepardfor the wine

@StLouisCruisers@Quartzsite Cruiser and others who so often post photos of the ports

I appreciate the kind sharing and caring and supportive group this has become.  I appreciate the efforts many make to use the @ symbol or multiquote to keep the posts concise.   It doesn’t matter to me how we post,  as most limit posts to less than a handful a day.    This keeps the thread from becoming too lengthy.   

But I have been concerned that we seem to have lost a number of regular posters along the way, of note lately @erewhonAmong others.  

While  we all have busy lives and may disappear at times I do have some concerns that we are experiencing a lot of thread drift and would gently suggest revisiting the guidelines.   

“We realize that in some instances, topic drift happens naturally. However, it does appear to be intentional by certain members. Please be considerate of your fellow members; posting off topic within a discussion -- 'hijacking' -- is boring and only wastes everyone's time. Think twice and, for some of you, even three times before posting off topic in an existing discussion: not "thinking" may result in loss of your posting privileges on Cruise Critic”

Thank you for posting this.  I see others are misunderstanding so I am going to go out on a limb here and be honest and forthright (although that wasn’t appreciated the other day by some).  When one poster accounts for 25% of the posts on a thread it makes the thread unwieldy and monopolizes it.  And it is a type of hijacking.

I have not been on today because I am in a very dark place right now and my tolerance is too low so I am probably saying this wrong and for that I apologize.

1 hour ago, kochleffel said:

Well, excuuuse me! 

It is news to me that The Daily has just one topic. I have reported post #4 (from me). Over and OUT.

Brenda’s post was not aimed at you.  By all means please share!

1 hour ago, Judypops said:

Hi Bennybear.

As a new poster  on this sweet thread would you be so kind to tell me what thread drift is on here so I don't fall foul of this.

I thought that only applies to a Live from cruise ship review not on a daily thread when posters are reliving what they have done on that day which can vary from cruising eating going for hospital treatment reporting ailments or even sadly death's.

I would like to personally thank all the posters who contribute to make this an enjoyable read every day.

Judy.❤️

See my reply to Brenda above.  The issue is not talking about every day things which this is what the Daily is about.  We share and care for everyone here.  Since you didn’t like my post the other day, I’m sure you won’t like this reply either.

I’m being honest and the pain I am in doesn’t stop my honesty or frustration with losing posters on the Daily when it becomes unwieldy due to not using a few techniques to avoid multiple posting (I am not talking about a “handful of posts”).

For everyone on the Daily - I will see how things are tomorrow but if I”m not on, no worries.  I’m not sure if this is rock bottom or not but I hope there is no lower to go.  My words are probably not expressed well enough and for that I apologize.  Take care everyone, 

hoping this happens for everyone struggling including @Rowsby

4979620E-B49D-4770-8752-ED62704547A1.thumb.jpeg.8d4dc4c944bdd939338e9f752bf0a6ee.jpeg

• Like 24
  • Thanks 10

3 hours ago, rafinmd said:

I have a question for Dailyites with IPADs.  How do you set a bookmark.  I have a trick to pull up followed content with the latest posts, and while waiting to disembark yesterday I was trying to get it on my IPAD.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/discover/623

I was trying to get to my blog in Safari but once I started typing it came up with wrong suggestions.  I finally got it all in and got ONE look but when I tried to save the link as a bookmark I was completely unable to do it. Safari comes up with stuff I followed weeks ago but not what I just did 10 minutes earlier.

Roy

Roy, if I have something bookmarked on my computer, it shows up as a bookmark on my iPad.  My new iPhone 11 doesn't do that, there is a little symbol down at the bottom showing an open book and I can physically put a bookmark there - not so easy though.  Every time there is some sort of update, though, things change!   Every day I learn something new, - and then promptly forget it...

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Can  you  please explain about  off topic eg  if  I want  to post photos

is  it   Off  topic. I  do  know  all  the  rules.

Thank  you  for  your  reply.

Jim.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Oceansaway17 said:

I am baffled as to why you would call out one poster.  Seems a bit not nice.

BTW I could make a comment about your pages of long photos dumps, but I won't.  Just less is better sometimes.

I have noticed that she is missing, not sure why that isn’t nice,  I have always enjoyed her posts and miss seeing them.  

It’s okay if you don’t like a lot of photos,  we all can have different opinions and still be polite about it.  I enjoy others photos. 

• Like 13
  • Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, irishjim said:

Jim.

You can post all the photos you want Jim 😉 

• Like 11
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, St Pete Cruiser said:

We are staying in Barcelona and what to our surprise was walking down to the port area this afternoon and seeing a very familiar ship, our beloved Amsterdam in it's new colors as the Bolette of Fred Olsen Lines. She was just leaving as we got there.

20220527_163302.jpg

20220527_163121.jpg

20220527_163057.jpg

20220527_163117.jpg

Awsome  photos.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, irishjim said:

Jim.

Off course not Jim, we would love to see your photos.  

• Like 13

1 hour ago, St Pete Cruiser said:

20220527_163302.jpg

aw thanks for the photo.  So that is where she landed.

I was on her under HAL ownership to Alaska in 2010.  Loved all the levels in the back covered for sitting and viewing the wake.  

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, bennybear said:

I have noticed that she is missing, not sure why that isn’t nice,  I have always enjoyed her posts and miss seeing them.  

It’s okay if you don’t like a lot of photos,  we all can have different opinions and still be polite about it.  I enjoy others photos. 

aw yes I was juggling several things and now I see what you meant.

BTW where is your next cruise to?

• Like 6

33 minutes ago, bennybear said:

Sorry if I offended you,   Of course there are multiple topics.  I enjoyed seeing your post of Corfu, that is what we are about.   I was trying to delicately put that it’s important that the threads are not over dominated by a few, not leaving room for Others.  The quote is from the CC guidelines.   Again I apologize if I was not clear.  In trying so very hard to be polite, perhaps clarity was lost.  

Welcome Judy to the CC and the daily,  I quoted from the CC rules as we want anyone to feel welcome, and not to feel this is a private group.  

I am a not so regular poster here but certainly read it daily. I usually enjoy everything most posters have to offer; very friendly, concerned for others and variety of opinions on all of the topics listed in the first post.

That said, I am not sure why the vague guidelines given by CC are in question here.

It seems like some people choose to make their own interpretations and expect the others to follow their personal opinions. This appears to be happening here. I hope the mods can jump in here with help.

Not sure what is meant by deviating from the topic when the topic is the Daily posted by Rich at the begining of the thread. There are many topics in that post so who decides the rules/limits/off topic rules for each of them?

Not everything works for everyone but we all (most people here) accept each other for what they have to offer.  This is my understanding of what this thread is and not to try to control them; it is rather unkind to try to control others.

IMO this thread has lost posters because occaisionally it is like walking on eggs shells because someone will reprimand a person if they do not agree with how and what they posted. I do not like to see when gentle people are disparaged for no valid reason.

Take care everyone.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, Oceansaway17 said:

aw yes I was juggling several things and now I see what you meant.

BTW where is your next cruise to?

Thank you!  I too was supposed to be on a cruise right now to the holy land, we cancelled for the same reasons you did.  Hopefully next year is better when I have two cruises booked to Japan. 

6 minutes ago, Cruisercl said:

I am a not so regular poster here but certainly read it daily. I usually enjoy everything most posters have to offer; very friendly, concerned for others and variety of opinions on all of the topics listed in the first post.

That said, I am not sure why the vague guidelines given by CC are in question here.

It seems like some people choose to make their own interpretations and expect the others to follow their personal opinions. This appears to be happening here. I hope the mods can jump in here with help.

Not sure what is meant by deviating from the topic when the topic is the Daily posted by Rich at the begining of the thread. There are many topics in that post so who decides the rules/limits/off topic rules for each of them?

Not everything works for everyone but we all (most people here) accept each other for what they have to offer.  This is my understanding of what this thread is and not to try to control them; it is rather unkind to try to control others.

IMO this thread has lost posters because occaisionally it is like walking on eggs shells because someone will reprimand a person if they do not agree with how and what they posted. I do not like to see when gentle people are disparaged for no valid reason.

Take care everyone.

Again by trying to be delicate I am misunderstood, in my work leading groups professionally, it was unwise if one person dominated as it lessens the opportunity for others to participate.  That is my only concern, and is why I spoke out.   How and what you say are up to each individual.   

• Like 9
  • Thanks 3

1 minute ago, bennybear said:

Thank you!  I too was supposed to be on a cruise right now to the holy land, 

well that would be an interesting place to go.  I myself have no desire.  I am still trying to get down under.

And sorry I misunderstood your comment and ya know what, I do like your photos but perhaps a bit more words to go along with them

Peace out.  I am on a ship in 2 weeks - Allure of the Seas.   

• Like 7

17 minutes ago, Cruisercl said:

yes that happened to me a while back when I made fun of the food of the day and made a comment saying Yuck where did you get that from.

I have learned that this group formed and renamed the post during covid.

Yes it is a core group of folks with some coming on board new here and there.

I posted the very first time a comment about a nice photo, and at least 4 people within a day welcomed me to this thread.   I was surprised.

But I will say this, some days are more interesting than others and for me I like to see what quotes and food and ports are listed.  I LOVE when folks later in the day start posting photos from that port.

It is where I have gotten some ideas for future trips.  And those food photos and cat photos are fun.

I understand some folks share about health and other things and I just read and move on.

So in conclusion, while I have had a couple of minor spats, overall I keep coming back to see photos and join in.   I think the attention to caring and sharing is part of the history of the thread and I suppose some folks are most passionate and protective.  I feel like this thread is quite genuine in nature and cc has allowed it to continue.

On RCI they have a thread about "how was your lockdown" and I have said already that it is just one long 2000 pages of enjoyment overall.   

toodles

• Like 11