Is ArriveCAN needed for Crown if it visits Victoria?

llarsen

Hi,

I just read somewhere that if your ship docs in Canada that you will need to download and fill out ArriveCAN.

We will be on the Crown for our Alaska cruise in August which stops in Victoria, do we need to do ArriveCAN?

One of the outside vendors said we need it for one of their tours that goes into Canada, plus passports and vaccination cards.

I haven't seen on Princess website that it is needed for our cruise...anyone know?

Thanks!

42 minutes ago, llarsen said:

Hi,

I just read somewhere that if your ship docs in Canada that you will need to download and fill out ArriveCAN.

We will be on the Crown for our Alaska cruise in August which stops in Victoria, do we need to do ArriveCAN?

One of the outside vendors said we need it for one of their tours that goes into Canada, plus passports and vaccination cards.

I haven't seen on Princess website that it is needed for our cruise...anyone know?

Thanks!

Not only do you require ArrCan, you must complete it prior to boarding at the start of the cruise. I'm surprised the cruise line does not provide this information.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Heidi13 said:

Not only do you require ArrCan, you must complete it prior to boarding at the start of the cruise. I'm surprised the cruise line does not provide this information.

Wow, there are 3 of us couples and non of us knew this. Just starting to figure out the Medallian app...ugh. But it wasn't listed in our things to be completed. Weird

It seems like almost all the lines have adopted a policy of at best 'put current requirements somewhere in the FAQs on the website, but only tell pax on cruise date X that they must fill out ArriveCAN before boarding on X-10 days or so' - given the changing landscape of requirements it's not unexpected, but frankly I think they'd annoy their pax less by telling them a lot earlier!

2 minutes ago, martincath said:

It seems like almost all the lines have adopted a policy of at best 'put current requirements somewhere in the FAQs on the website, but only tell pax on cruise date X that they must fill out ArriveCAN before boarding on X-10 days or so' - given the changing landscape of requirements it's not unexpected, but frankly I think they'd annoy their pax less by telling them a lot earlier!

Today I received my "Your Ocean Awaits" pre-cruise booklet from Cunard for Queen Elizabeth from Vancouver June 14. It's generic, mostly reminding me about Cunard requirements, like disclaimers, health declaration, plus passport, proof of vaccination. NO mention of ArriveCAN. Just "check our website..." I hope people don't assume that the booklet contains ALL the information needed before embarkation.

7 minutes ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

Today I received... NO mention of ArriveCAN. Just "check our website..." I hope people don't assume that the booklet contains ALL the information needed before embarkation.

Dearie me. Cunard seem to be even worse than their cheaper siblings in terms of customer service these days - that whole 'cancelling a bunch of tickets' affair will take a long time to be forgotten, if ever, by the folks impacted, and now nothing at all on ArriveCAN for a cruise you need to travel into Canada to board? Smallprint of course exempts them from legal blame - but it still sucks.

• Like 1

It seems that may be part of the reason that several of the embarkations have been long is people finding out they need ArriveCan and struggling to find wifi and or smartphones while trying to get on board. sightcrr. 

20 minutes ago, martincath said:

Dearie me. Cunard seem to be even worse than their cheaper siblings in terms of customer service these days - that whole 'cancelling a bunch of tickets' affair will take a long time to be forgotten, if ever, by the folks impacted, and now nothing at all on ArriveCAN for a cruise you need to travel into Canada to board? Smallprint of course exempts them from legal blame - but it still sucks.

They do explain about ArriveCAN on the website. But considering they're doing a whole season in Alaska, a lot of passengers will be on that itinerary and should be made aware of the app. There should be something specific about Canada's rules and how Cunard is working in Canada in that precruise mailing, even if it's a little addendum paper. 

My TA's take on the cancellations is that they lost track of overlapping segments and found that the little pacific coastal was booked by lots of people after the Canal, and lots of people before Vancouver, AND then, oops! a bunch of people just doing the short segment. 

12 minutes ago, SightCRR said:

It seems that may be part of the reason that several of the embarkations have been long is people finding out they need ArriveCan and struggling to find wifi and or smartphones while trying to get on board. sightcrr. 

Like the people who don't complete the customs form before getting to the Immigration officer in the terminal. 

2 hours ago, martincath said:

Another once proud cruise line that's been "Carnivalised"😞

My TA didn't have a clue about ArriveCan until I told her all about it. I found out about having to fill out ArriveCan here on Cruise Critic. There is very little information on the Princess web site about it. I can see were it would be a mess at the cruise port on embarkation day. It's no big deal, takes just a few minutes.

You'll get paperwork in your cabin a couple days before arriving in Victoria on how to complete the process. Once completed, you'll give the confirmation number to your cabin steward. Ours reminded us to get it done. You will get the number and QC code upon completion. We made a quick screen shot of it but never needed it again. You'll use the address for the port for your Victoria destination which will also be provided by Princess. If you have problems with it, go to the internet cafe not passenger services.

8 hours ago, llarsen said:

Hi,

Thanks!

You should look at the travel summary for your cruise on the Princess website.  The information about ArriveCan is located in the Canadian Visa section. 

CANADIAN VISA REQUIREMENTS

ALL guests must complete ArriveCAN at xxx  before their cruise and enter proof of vaccination and travel information. You must complete ArriveCAN within 72 hours before you enter Canada or begin your cruise.

Edited by t&atravel

11 hours ago, Glaciers said:

You'll get paperwork in your cabin a couple days before arriving in Victoria on how to complete the process. Once completed, you'll give the confirmation number to your cabin steward. Ours reminded us to get it done. You will get the number and QC code upon completion. We made a quick screen shot of it but never needed it again. You'll use the address for the port for your Victoria destination which will also be provided by Princess. If you have problems with it, go to the internet cafe not passenger services.

They allowed you all to board without ArriveCAN being completed? That is NOT what Canada requires. They state that you are to have this completed before boarding, where ever you board. When did you sail? This is very surprising. 

1 hour ago, 5waldos said:

They allowed you all to board without ArriveCAN being completed? That is NOT what Canada requires. They state that you are to have this completed before boarding, where ever you board. When did you sail? This is very surprising. 

Is Arrive CAN required to board a cruise that leaves from Seattle?

Since the OP only asked about the ArriveCan app as it applied to Victoria that’s all I addressed. We departed from Vancouver and needed ArriveCan to enter Canada and board but also needed to complete it again prior to disembarking in Victoria.

Ah- I thought you had boarded in Seattle which is why I was so surprised. But if they are boarding in Seattle, regulations require that they complete the form prior to boarding. On that Canada is very specific. 

Interesting about the needing to complete a second one prior to  Victoria. That certainly is not spelled out on the Canadian website. In fact it is not mentioned at all- leavinng it very uncertain.  Will be interested to hear if all lines require it. 

Edited by 5waldos

9 minutes ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

Is Arrive CAN required to board a cruise that leaves from Seattle?

Yes. If you go to Canada at all, Canadian regulations require that all passengers have a completed and approved ArriveCAN in order to board. Are all lines following the rules? No idea. Seems somehow like maybe not. 

14 hours ago, Eaglecw said:

My TA didn't have a clue about ArriveCan until I told her all about it. I found out about having to fill out ArriveCan here on Cruise Critic. There is very little information on the Princess web site about it. I can see were it would be a mess at the cruise port on embarkation day. It's no big deal, takes just a few minutes.

We received letter today from our TA regarding ArrCAN as well asother reminders to do prior to leaving on the cruise.  Love my TA, she always comes through!

Ah- I thought you had boarded in Seattle which is why I was so surprised. But if they are boarding in Seattle, regulations require that they complete the form prior to boarding. On that Canada is very specific. 

Interesting about the needing to complete a second one prior to  Victoria. That certainly is not spelled out on the Canadian website. In fact it is not mentioned at all- leavinng it very uncertain.  Will be interested to hear if all lines require it. 

We are boarding and disembarking in Seattle. Last port stop is in Victoria before returning to Seattle.

I would like to take a tour that goes into Yukon by bus, and was told we need ArriveCAN for it. So we will download it and fill it out beforehand.

34 minutes ago, llarsen said:

We are boarding and disembarking in Seattle. Last port stop is in Victoria before returning to Seattle.

I would like to take a tour that goes into Yukon by bus, and was told we need ArriveCAN for it. So we will download it and fill it out beforehand.

You must complete the form before boarding in Seattle. I am unclear about whether you need to update it for the Yukon- in part it will depend on what day it is. You need to review the regulations- here is one link-https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/travel-restrictions/cruise. There are several, and your cruise line should have (possibly hidden away) instructions, also.

It is not a difficult online form to complete. And there are many reports here on CC about the chaos at embarkation because of the number of people who do not have the ArriveCAN approval. 

UPDATE: Just found this for you-

https://khns.org/yukon-relaxes-border-rules-for-tours-but-not-enough-for-white-pass-and-yukon-route-railroad

"Pillai says a completed ArriveCan app will still be required to cross the border. However, passengers that completed the app before boarding their cruise ship won’t have to update it. He also says a printout of the final QR code page from the app will be accepted at the Fraser border, as will a screenshot of that page saved on a smartphone. "

Edited by 5waldos
  • Like 1