Silver Wind live

clarky

Thank you for the recent photos of the Silver Wind especially the bathrooms. We are going to Antarctica ❄️ on the Wind in December.  What do you think of the Medallion Suites on Deck 8?  Do you think they will be noisy from the grill & bar?  I also worry about being on Deck 8 if the Drake passage is rough 🌊?  Any thoughts?

All photos of cabins are appreciated 😊!!!

On 6/19/2022 at 1:21 AM, Silver Spectre said:

Great to see the Wind back through Tower Bridge again. Photos elsewhere.

Wife just showed me..... Looks like they stole my avatar from here! Lovely photo.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Hglsland said:

Thank you for the recent photos of the Silver Wind especially the bathrooms. We are going to Antarctica ❄️ on the Wind in December.  What do you think of the Medallion Suites on Deck 8?  Do you think they will be noisy from the grill & bar?  I also worry about being on Deck 8 if the Drake passage is rough 🌊?  Any thoughts?

All photos of cabins are appreciated 😊!!!

We stayed in the Medallion suites pre remodel when she was rather tired. I liked the suite and location. Rather private actually.  Didn't have any noise issues, but the shower barely drained.😉

• Like 1

An Accident Waiting To Happen - and it did.

The day we got on board, my wife was walking through La Terrazza, and semi-tripped on something on the floor.

During the refit (?) they had installed little semi-circular hooks on the floor and under each chair. We are told the reason is to secure the chairs in rough weather so the guests do not tumble on the floor.

I was astonished to find these all over the carpeted floor and in some cases with no chair or table nearby.

I reported this to the safety officer on board - but in that phone call was not left assured that anything would be done. It wasn't.

Here we are - 3 weeks later - and a passenger has been badly injured: ankle/hand/wrist/head. Such a predictable outcome.

I have noticed that SOME of these offending hooks have now been removed...but not all. So let me predict now: It will happen AGAIN.

• Why did they not install hooks that fold down?
  • Why did they not think the fix was more dangerous than the problem?
  • Why did they do nothing when the problem was pointed out? Anybody could see this would not end well.

I have attached photos showing the offending hooks - and what the carpet now looks like where some have been removed.

Hook.jpg

hook1.jpg

Removed.jpg

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, clarky said:

We will be moving to 741 on the next leg so will let you know.

That is very kind...thank you! You are the cabin guru for Medallion suites.  We were in Perth and really enjoyed it. Keep enjoying your cruise 🚢.

I spoke with our friends in 801 and they said there was no noise in their suite however they did find that there was significant movement during rough seas.

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, clarky said:

I spoke with our friends in 801 and they said there was no noise in their suite however they did find that there was significant movement during rough seas.

rclarky & clarky - firstly thank you so much for providing the insight into Silver Wind, particularly the issues with the Silver Suite. We are booked in the same suite next year for a Antarctic/Falklands/S.Georgia itinerary and are so glad you gave us the 'heads up' on this suite. We are now hurriedly trying to switch to a different suite/cruise.

Could I ask for you kind assistance one more time please ? The 4 Medallion suites on Deck 8 - am I correct in my understanding that they do not have a bath tub, but do have a walk in shower with a door ? Unfortunately the online suite plan is quite poor so I can't be sure.

Thank you so much in advance for your very kind assistance.

For those interested, the Wind retrofit is more extensive than when the Cloud was done. At least it appears that way for the areas the guest see. We were pleasantly surprised with the room cabinetry and new plumbing. As some of you know the zodiacs were added on the top deck on the Cloud. But here on the Wind, a new section was added on the back and the zodiacs are stacked on the extension Deck 6. See picture below looking at stored boats from the outside dinning area.20220630_122228.heic

• Like 3

7 hours ago, clarky said:

Thank you for this information!!  That was also part of our concern being top deck & forward especially for crossing the Drake. Your information is priceless!! Thanks you!

On 6/23/2022 at 8:14 PM, clarky said:

We will be moving to 741 on the next leg so will let you know.

Wondering if you have moved to 741 and are enjoying it? Is there still a half bath as you enter? How is the cabin location for rough seas?

hglsland, here are some photos for you.  Also our friends in 801 said they had a walk in bath.  I feel conflicted posting these photos.  We love this suite so much and with the great refurbishment of this suite and the photos I fear it will be booked when we want it.  We love the French balcony as it is too cold to be out on your balcony in the artic but we can open and close the window and get some fresh air and take photos.

IMG_20220628_153520.jpg

IMG_20220628_153542.jpg

IMG_20220628_153719.jpg

IMG_20220628_153749.jpg

IMG_20220628_153936.jpg

IMG_20220628_153959.jpg

IMG_20220628_154017.jpg

IMG_20220628_154035_1.jpg

IMG_20220630_083150.jpg

IMG_20220628_153603.png

IMG_20220628_153607.png

IMG_20220628_153554.png

IMG_20220630_081959.jpg

Edited by clarky
fix photos
  • Like 4

3 minutes ago, clarky said:

I feel conflicted posting these photos.  We love this suite so much and with the great refurbishment of this suite and the photos I fear it will be booked when we want it. 

Thank you again for the incredibly helpful information you have provided - much appreciated. I think that in return for the immense help you have given to fellow Silversea guests you should be given first option on 741 when you want it 😉  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, clarky said:

hglsland, here are some photos for you.  Also our friends in 801 said they had a walk in bath.  I feel conflicted posting these photos.  We love this suite so much and with the great refurbishment of this suite and the photos I fear it will be booked when we want it.  We love the French balcony as it is too cold to be out on your balcony in the artic but we can open and close the window and get some fresh air and take photos.

Clarky, Thank you 💜 for previewing the suite for us with your fantastic photos!  It is so very appreciated. We had already booked this for our December 2022 Antarctica cruise with the hope 🤞🏻 it would be good. There is a large price difference when you go to Medallion so hopefully you will be able to get the suite when you want it. And with other new Expedition ships coming, you never know what your favorite might be. The new Seabourn ships look beautiful. Love to hear how you enjoy your Arctic adventure.  That is on our list.

I'm happy to help as I have appreciated all the advice I have been given by other posters.  I can not emphasize enough how much better this medallion suite is compared to the silver suite.  The silver suite does not have an expedition wardrobe like this suite.  It has a much smaller living dinning area and the bathroom as you know from previous posts is a shocking design.    This suite also has a powder room which the SS suite does not. I would book this suite in a heartbeat.  In fact we have booked it for our Antarctica cruise in January 2024.

We have over 250 days with Seaborn and will never cruise with them again after the way they treated us and other guests during our COVID cruise.  They don't deserve our loyalty.  We do like Regent but find SS offer more adventurous itineraries.

We have loved this cruise.  The excursions that have been offered have been diverse in both activity levels and duration.  All excursions except one have included lunch or a snack and the buses when used have been at least half empty.  So distance between guests has been front of mind.

At the end of the cruise I will post some photos to give you an idea of what we saw.  I will say so far we have seen Dolphins, whales, seals, several species of birds including puffins.  Fingers crossed for a polar bear.

Edited by clarky
  • Like 4

just an update: 

Temp checks are still every morning and just had our neighbor test positive with Covid. They were asked to relocate to deck 4 for quarantine. They refused and asked Silversea to fly them out and home to the US. They just left the ship... 

8 hours ago, clarky said:

I'm happy to help as I have appreciated all the advice I have been given by other posters.  I can not emphasize enough how much better this medallion suite is compared to the silver suite.  The silver suite does not have an expedition wardrobe like this suite.  It has a much smaller living dinning area and the bathroom as you know from previous posts is a shocking design.    This suite also has a powder room which the SS suite does not. I would book this suite in a heartbeat.  In fact we have booked it for our Antarctica cruise in January 2024.

We have over 250 days with Seaborn and will never cruise with them again after the way they treated us and other guests during our COVID cruise.  They don't deserve our loyalty.  We do like Regent but find SS offer more adventurous itineraries.

We have loved this cruise.  The excursions that have been offered have been diverse in both activity levels and duration.  All excursions except one have included lunch or a snack and the buses when used have been at least half empty.  So distance between guests has been front of mind.

At the end of the cruise I will post some photos to give you an idea of what we saw.  I will say so far we have seen Dolphins, whales, seals, several species of birds including puffins.  Fingers crossed for a polar bear.

Would love to see your photos!  Keep enjoying!

17 hours ago, carefreecruise said:

Temp checks are still every morning and just had our neighbor test positive with Covid. They were asked to relocate to deck 4 for quarantine. They refused and asked Silversea to fly them out and home to the US. They just left the ship... 

Because it's always a good idea to hop on a plane knowing you have COVID 😲

As far as you know, have there been other cases? When I sailed the Wind in early June our tally was an impressive 0. I hope it's still low.

I'm not sure what you are referring to with articulated truck but a lot has changed in this suite.  First you have and expedition closet in the entrance, second the living and dinning are now one open space and third the furniture in the living area has changed.  The bedroom and bathroom remain the same thank goodness.  This suite is the second largest in size on the ship.  It does not have a balcony but if you are in the artic or Antarctica then realistically how often are you going to be using your balcony?  If you really want to look for wildlife you need to be out on the decks.

The cruise lines are sometimes compared by the brand of champagne, the importance of having a butler or not, and other points of on-board service difference.

But another way of comparing is what happens when major disruptions happen outside the control of the ship or the cruise line - and how they manage that and maintain customer loyalty.

I have spoken elsewhere about the terrible way we were treated by Seabourn following an aborted 'covid' cruise; they would not honor a FCC that was in writing in a letter from "The office of the President". After 250+ days with them - they blew it and we will never sail them again at any price.

Let me summarize how Silversea is managing a current crisis (not of their making) affecting embarkation/disembarkation of the Wind & Cloud in Tromso/Norway.

• SAS pilots announced late last week they were going on strike. The majority of guests getting on/off these 2 ships in Tromso this week were booked on SAS (generally between Oslo & Tromso).
  • Some booked Door-to-Door with SS: So it is SS's problem to find alternate flights.
  • Others only booked Port-to-Port and had booked their own air in/out of Tromso

SS has done the following

• Wind and Cloud staying extra night in Tromso to give guests a better chance of getting on/off
  • Chartering planes between Oslo & Tromso as needed over multiple days to fill in the SAS flight gaps
  • 30 of us left the Wind yesterday on a very comfortable 72 passenger plane. (The others are leaving today on 2 charter flights). Arrived at Hotel. Checked in at the Silversea courtesy desk (not reception). Included in the hotel package was: Free bar drink, free dinner to the value of USD200 each (we spent USD75 each), free breakfast, and free WiFi. Can not complain. Our Emirates flight leaves later today. No dramas.

We booked Door-to-Door, so at the end of the day, only expected that SS would get us to Oslo somehow to catch the Emirates flight that they had booked.

Other 'Door-to-Door' guests have had their return flights changed (if necessary) at SS's expense.

But here is the 'above and beyond' bit.

What about the people leaving the Wind that only booked 'Port-to-Port'? A lawyer would remind them that SS has zero responsibilty for them beyond getting them to Tromso and waving goodbye to them on the gangway.

Here is what they are doing for them:

• Free seat on the last charter Tromso to Oslo
  • Free one night hotel in Oslo if needed

To me - this is the mark of a great cruise line vs a good cruise line.

Based on first hand stories from guests we have met onboard, the way they are managing this crisis is consistent with the way they treated guests who were on board when Covid hit the industry in early 2020; basically looking after everybody as best thay can.

Unlike the terrible way Seabourn did at the same time (first hand experience by us on that!). We saw guests sitting on the kerb at Fremantle/Australia port with their luggage and mobile phone in hand. No hotel booked for the night. No flight out. No support at all from Seabourn. For these people it was an extremely stressfull time.

Tread your own path.

Edited by rclarky
typo
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 2