Yep...a Covid Testing Question

10 minutes ago, Laplayaperson said:

So we are traveling with 11 & 13 year old, they are fully vax, and we both have bee vax and boosted.  B/c the kids haven't been boosted do we need to take our tests 3 days prior to sailing?  Or is 2 days okay?  

You will get conflicting answers here and from Carnival. As I read the Carnival & CDC website, only those up-to-date on CDC RECOMMENDED vaccines & boosters can test 3 days prior. The CDC now recommends boosters for everyone over age 11, and a 2nd Booster for those over 50 and more than 4 months since their first booster. 

Rather than take a chance, I would take the test 2 days prior. That is what I am doing next week, even though my Carnival PVP says 3 days is still ok. Of course he is not the one who actually verifies the information at the pier. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, JT1962 said:

You will get conflicting answers here and from Carnival. As I read the Carnival & CDC website, only those up-to-date on CDC RECOMMENDED vaccines & boosters can test 3 days prior. The CDC now recommends boosters for everyone over age 11, and a 2nd Booster for those over 50 and more than 4 months since their first booster. 

Rather than take a chance, I would take the test 2 days prior. That is what I am doing next week, even though my Carnival PVP says 3 days is still ok. Of course he is not the one who actually verifies the information at the pier. 

You missed the “eligible for a booster” part though.  A booster is recommended 5 months after the initial series. 
If you are eligible for a booster and do not have it, you test two days. 
if your are not eligible for a booster, you can test 3. 

My son had his second shot in February. The earliest we could get it as vaccines rolled out later here than in the US. We sailed in March. He was fully vaxxed but not boosted but not eligible for a booster.  He tested 3 days out. 

They have not clarified on the website and agree with your interpretation but John Heald has said they do not require the second booster with the exceptions of certain sailings (Europe I believe). 

• Like 1

Except where destination requirements differ*, guests who are up to date with their vaccines may take their test within three days prior to sailing. Up to date means a person has received all recommended COVID-19 vaccinations, including any booster dose, when eligible. Example: If the sailing is on Saturday, guests who are up to date with their vaccines may take their test as early as Wednesday and as late as Saturday, if guaranteed to receive results in time for check-in.

If a guest is fully vaccinated but not up to date with their vaccines (i.e., is eligible for a booster but has not received one), they must take their pre-cruise COVID-19 test within two days prior to sailing. A fully vaccinated guest who is not up to date with their vaccines may take their test no earlier than Thursday and as late as Saturday.

3 hours ago, Purvis1231 said:

Remember if you have had Covid 90 days prior to sailing you do not have to test.

Not exactly.

Both the positive test and recovery need to be documented. Plus some other stuff.

Document of Recovery

Guests who have recovered from COVID-19 within 3 months of their sailing date do not need the required pre-cruise test if they are at least 10 days past their positive test result date, have no symptoms and produce document of recovery from COVID-19. A Document of Recovery is accepted from both fully vaccinated and unvaccinated guests (with a Carnival-approved exemption) and consists of a paper or electronic copy of the positive viral test result from a certified laboratory (dated no more than 90 days prior to the sailing date).

Although I appreciate all the feedback it is just confusing me?  SO I think the answer is 2 days before?  Eventhough I didn't think children were considered needing a booster so I thought w/us adults having the vax and booster, and kids the required vax we could do 3 days prior? 

8 hours ago, Laplayaperson said:

Although I appreciate all the feedback it is just confusing me?  SO I think the answer is 2 days before?  Eventhough I didn't think children were considered needing a booster so I thought w/us adults having the vax and booster, and kids the required vax we could do 3 days prior? 

2 days ..... if you're kids are eligible for the booster but don't have them it is 2 days. Three days out is more or less a perk travel wise more or less for the boosted. It is not confusing

• Like 1

On 5/29/2022 at 2:05 PM, BlerkOne said:

Not exactly.

Both the positive test and recovery need to be documented. Plus some other stuff.

Document of Recovery

Guests who have recovered from COVID-19 within 3 months of their sailing date do not need the required pre-cruise test if they are at least 10 days past their positive test result date, have no symptoms and produce document of recovery from COVID-19. A Document of Recovery is accepted from both fully vaccinated and unvaccinated guests (with a Carnival-approved exemption) and consists of a paper or electronic copy of the positive viral test result from a certified laboratory (dated no more than 90 days prior to the sailing date).

Right, I did not mention the details- but I am dealing with this right now. I know we need to bring proof of our positive test and vaccination records. e also plan to bring proof of our medical treatment. 

Edited by Purvis1231
typo
  • Like 1