Queen Anne - nightlife venues and club - where is the dance floor?

AspirationalFlyer

Hello all 

I’ve read various comments that Queen Anne will not have a Yacht Club or equivalent of G32, nor will there be any club type venues with a dancefloor. 

Does anyone know if that is true? I will also contact Cunard on Twitter to ask. 

I’ve looked at the online deck plans and there does not appear to be any reference to a Yacht Club or anything broadly comparable. 

Many thanks!

The only dance floor that seems visible is on the deck plans for the Queen's Room on Queen Anne, plus a couple of renderings of an image of that floor in the Queen's Room - however it looks quite a bit smaller than the Queen's Room dance floors on the other three ships, and a bit larger than the Yacht club on QV/QE - so it looks as though that single floor may be planned to be used for various kinds of dancing from ballroom dancing to disco dancing on Queen Anne, which means that all kinds of dancers may have a diminished experience of their dancing compared to what is currently available on QM2 as well as QE and QV. Also the shape of the floor being oval (sort of) is not ideal for ballroom dancing. No doubt more information about the dancing facilities on Queen Anne will emerge in the coming months - but do far it does look at all ideal from any dancer's viewpoint.

• Like 1

I asked a similar question on the "New Ship" thread a while back concerning where there might be a nightclub with a second dance floor on Queen Anne equivalent the G32/Yacht Club. The best I could come up with from looking at the deck plans was perhaps the circular area near the piano in the Commodore Club could serve as a very small dance floor.

One suggestion I received after asking that question is that the bar area across from the Golden Lion might be a nightclub of sorts with a dance floor. Apparently that area is where late night entertainment occurs on similarly laid out HAL ships. The deck plans for that area as currently laid out don't offer much confidence in there being a dance floor located there though but who knows.

I’ve asked on Twitter. I will report back if I hear anything useful. 

There are two locations starboard mid-forward on decks 2 and 3 where a club type venue might be located. They are both just listed as “Bar” on the deck plan currently. Neither of them show a dance floor but “bar” suggests to me that the exact fit out and configuration is still to be determined. 

I think the equivalent location on some of the HAL ships is the Rolling Stone Rock Room. I must confess I’ve never been on a HAL ship but it appears to have a dance floor, albeit a relatively small one from the photos I’ve seen. 

8 hours ago, mcloaked said:

The only dance floor that seems visible is on the deck plans for the Queen's Room on Queen Anne, plus a couple of renderings of an image of that floor in the Queen's Room - however it looks quite a bit smaller than the Queen's Room dance floors on the other three ships, and a bit larger than the Yacht club on QV/QE - so it looks as though that single floor may be planned to be used for various kinds of dancing from ballroom dancing to disco dancing on Queen Anne, which means that all kinds of dancers may have a diminished experience of their dancing compared to what is currently available on QM2 as well as QE and QV. Also the shape of the floor being oval (sort of) is not ideal for ballroom dancing. No doubt more information about the dancing facilities on Queen Anne will emerge in the coming months - but do far it does look at all ideal from any dancer's viewpoint.

It would appear that Queen Anne is being designed for the younger set that does not really dance but moves around in gangs to loud music. Cunard it would appear feels they have plenty of tradition on their present three ships and are looking for a 100% below age 60 on the Queen Anne. Good luck to them.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Lakesregion said:

It would appear that Queen Anne is being designed for the younger set that does not really dance but moves around in gangs to loud music. Cunard it would appear feels they have plenty of tradition on their present three ships and are looking for a 100% below age 60 on the Queen Anne. Good luck to them.

If that were the case, wouldn't they have put a disco in?

16 hours ago, mcloaked said:

The only dance floor that seems visible is on the deck plans for the Queen's Room on Queen Anne, plus a couple of renderings of an image of that floor in the Queen's Room - however it looks quite a bit smaller than the Queen's Room dance floors on the other three ships, ...

One hope for a little bit of optimism is that QM2's Queen's Room floor is quite a bit larger than initially planned.

I got the size of the planned floor from a contact on the design team early on in the process but the final result was quite a bit larger. The reason I was given was that having announced QM2 would have 'the largest dancefloor at sea', QE2's Queen's Room floor was slightly enlarged during a refurb. Back to the drawing board and QM2 got an even larger floor.

A good result, even if it had nothing to do with the needs or wants of the paying passengers.

One can but hope that the deck plans are not the final layout in terms of the first guess at the dance floor shape and size, and that common sense will prevail when the designers and managers who actually do know something about dancing and the likely impact on the paying passengers in their decision to book voyages on Queen Anne for the future. In the case of a ballroom floor size matters!

15 hours ago, Lakesregion said:

Well they've blown that theory by letting myself and my wife onboard then. 😂

On 6/1/2022 at 12:55 AM, Lakesregion said:

It would appear that Queen Anne is being designed for the younger set that does not really dance but moves around in gangs to loud music. Cunard it would appear feels they have plenty of tradition on their present three ships and are looking for a 100% below age 60 on the Queen Anne. 

Judging by the style of decor and the limited information available, it looks to me as if they are definitely aiming to attract passengers of a substantially lower age range than the other ships.  For example, there has, to my mind, been a tendency of all lines to have atriums that would not look out of place in your local shopping centre/mall.  The Queen Anne illustrations seem to me to be continuing this approach.

I am sure they will have analysed this in great depth, and decided having a ship that looks distinctly different is the best approach for the company.  They may well be right, even if that means things like the dance floor are dropped as central features.

Edited by WestonOne

3 minutes ago, WestonOne said:

in your local shopping centre/mall.  

I will never understand why people like the ships with this look, but alright, it is good that there are companies who cater for these taste. 

Just why has it to be Cunard?

Why do some corporate employees want all ships to cater to the same taste?

2 hours ago, carlmm said:

I will never understand why people like the ships with this look, but alright, it is good that there are companies who cater for these taste. 

Just why has it to be Cunard?

Why do some corporate employees want all ships to cater to the same taste?

I blame focus groups. A large, glitzy atrium is impressive. When potential designs are shown, people are likely to choose whatever looks largest. And as more ships have a multi-level atrium, all the other lines copy it. 

As for the under-60s, I think that's what HAL is trying to do with their larger ships and the "Music Walk," where the venues spill out into the walkway. So there are crowds and the music is LOUD. I mean, ruin your hearing loud. People on CC have said they wear ear plugs when they go to the Rock Room or BB Kings. This makes no sense to me, but it's what they do. HAL used to have a wonderful jazz group called the Neptunes. They also played some sets for dancing. The floor was small, but people were able to dance on it. Now there's nothing like that on HAL. (Full disclosure: I am not an under-60)

Edited by 3rdGenCunarder
  • Like 2