Initial Thoughts on Princess compared to HAL (for those who don't read the daily)

atexsix

21 hours ago, atexsix said:

Years ago on the Oosterdam, the Atrium Bar hosted the LGBQ and the Friends of Bill W at the same day/time; talk about confusion!  

Another example of a HAL "Oops" by whomever is in charge of scheduling such a situation.  

Thanks for the review.  As both long time HAL and Princess cruisers we agree with most of what you said, but you did omit several things we like about Princess vs HAL.  I will admit that DW and I seldom to never order room service so I cannot compare.  I did not even know that the Crown Grill (Princess) had room service but we do think that venue is comparable to the Pinnacle in that neither is very impressive.  But you omitted being able to go the International Care 24/7 (HAL has nothing comparable) where you can get coffee drinks, food items (they vary a few times a day).  You also mentioned that you did not go to the entertainment which is something Princess does so much better than HAL.   That being said, the Princess Theater is too small and we have been on cruises when it is often SRO (you will not see this at a HAL documentary show) for the Production Shows.

Another thing we love about most of the Princess ships is their Italian venue (called Alfredo's or Gigi's) which has a menu of excellent pizzas, pastas, salads, etc.  There is no extra charge for this venue which is open from lunch time until late at night.  And finally you did not mention that Princess actually has a Piano Bar (remember when HAL had this little item?) which generally has an excellent entertainer.

Hank

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hlitner said:

Thanks for the review.  As both long time HAL and Princess cruisers we agree with most of what you said, but you did omit several things we like about Princess vs HAL.  I will admit that DW and I seldom to never order room service so I cannot compare.  I did not even know that the Crown Grill (Princess) had room service but we do think that venue is comparable to the Pinnacle in that neither is very impressive.  But you omitted being able to go the International Care 24/7 (HAL has nothing comparable) where you can get coffee drinks, food items (they vary a few times a day).  You also mentioned that you did not go to the entertainment which is something Princess does so much better than HAL.   That being said, the Princess Theater is too small and we have been on cruises when it is often SRO (you will not see this at a HAL documentary show) for the Production Shows.

Another thing we love about most of the Princess ships is their Italian venue (called Alfredo's or Gigi's) which has a menu of excellent pizzas, pastas, salads, etc.  There is no extra charge for this venue which is open from lunch time until late at night.  And finally you did not mention that Princess actually has a Piano Bar (remember when HAL had this little item?) which generally has an excellent entertainer.

Hank

Originally, the Intl Cafe had a regularly rotating selection of snacks - on my voyage in May it was the same thing every day with a few different small sandwiches, some finger veggies, a soup, and a small assortment of deserts.  While its always a nice venue, I recall in years past where the items in the IC changed on a daily basis.  Maybe an item or two did, but it wasn't what I remembered in years past.

Before COVID, Princess offered a english style Pub Lunch on the crown grill occasionally on sea days.  Not sure if this has been suspended due to covid or lower passenger numbers.  I was always surprised they didn't charge a nominal $10 similar to the PG for lunch.  Either way, I'm sad it hasn't been back in the 2 voyages I've been on since Princess returned to service.

For the Princess loyalists that dislike the Royal Class ships, I often find myself recommending to them the Pinnacle class ships, which are similar in size and capacity to the original Grand Class ships.  While HAL loyalists lament the reduced promenade width on the Pinnacle ships, its right on par with what Princess has offered since 1998 on theoriginal Grand class ships.  The Royal class ships have no promenade to speak of - just wider decks on both sides of deck 7 near the atrium and aft elevator lobby.

8 hours ago, cruisingrob21 said:

Originally, the Intl Cafe had a regularly rotating selection of snacks - on my voyage in May it was the same thing every day with a few different small sandwiches, some finger veggies, a soup, and a small assortment of deserts.  While its always a nice venue, I recall in years past where the items in the IC changed on a daily basis.  Maybe an item or two did, but it wasn't what I remembered in years past.

Before COVID, Princess offered a english style Pub Lunch on the crown grill occasionally on sea days.  Not sure if this has been suspended due to covid or lower passenger numbers.  I was always surprised they didn't charge a nominal $10 similar to the PG for lunch.  Either way, I'm sad it hasn't been back in the 2 voyages I've been on since Princess returned to service.

For the Princess loyalists that dislike the Royal Class ships, I often find myself recommending to them the Pinnacle class ships, which are similar in size and capacity to the original Grand Class ships.  While HAL loyalists lament the reduced promenade width on the Pinnacle ships, its right on par with what Princess has offered since 1998 on theoriginal Grand class ships.  The Royal class ships have no promenade to speak of - just wider decks on both sides of deck 7 near the atrium and aft elevator lobby.

On our many Princess cruises the International Cafe (IC) has always been my morning "hang out."  I generally am up and out while DW still needs a few more hours sleep.  I head to the IC, get my cappuccino and often have a fresh pastry or egg sandwich.  Eventually DW joins me for her tea.  In the morning (until around 11) the IC has a selection of donuts, pastries, fresh croissants, etc.  Around 11 - 11:30 the breakfast foods disappear and are replaced with a variety of small sandwiches, at least a half dozen salads, and dessert pastries, pies, cakes, and cookies.  Coffee/tea drinks (and there is an expansive menu) is served 24 hours a day.  So I guess we should say that the 24 hour food rotation is essentially two experiences, a morning breakfast selection (usually put out in the wee hours of the morning) and the sandwic/salad thing that is set up around 11 - 11:30am.   HAL has nothing to compare although Explorations might be considered a distant cousin.  But an issue with HAL (mentioned by the OP) is that all their food venues (including Explorations) have limited hours.  So consider that on Princess their Lido will usually serve breakfast from around 6am until 11:30 am when it is immediately changed over to lunch.  In mid afternoon the lunch is replaced with a smaller buffet (mostly lunch foods and salads) until late in the afternnon when it is changed over to a dinner buffet.  Unlike HAL, the Lido on Princess is open all the time until around mid-night.  They used to stay open all night for those who wanted coffee, but I think this may have ended since the IC has that (and more) and is never closed.

One negative on HAL is that they really limit hours in their Lido.  HAL fans will sometimes mention there is 24 hour room service but that is a lousy option for a couple where one is up very late or very early and does not want to disturb their partner.  HAL could easily turn Explorations into something akin to the IC by simply expanding the hours and the food/snack offerings.

I am not into activities but that is an area where Princess has a much more crowded activities schedule with lots of options for just about everyone.  The main atrium (located near the IC) generally has stuff happening all day and evening.  Sitting in the atrium (near the IC) is very entertaining for people watching as you might see a large group exercise class followed by a large group dance class followed by a bar tender/drink class, etc.    While DW and I are quite happy with the HAL daytime pace, we have heard numerous complaints from folks who say that HAL lacks many of the activities found on other lines.  Princess also has their Movies Under the Stars (MUTS) showing stuff day and night.  Personally I dislike MUTS (it is too often quite annoying) but many others love the constant offerings which vary from shorts, music videos, movies, and live sports events.   But in fairness to Princess, for those of us who do not want to deal with the constant MUTS stuff, there are plenty of other deck areas on the ship where one can find a quiet place.

Hank

• Like 3

It’s a good thing  that Princess has another venue to grab breakfast because I feel the mdr menu leaves a lot to be desired.  There is a good chance that I may go on a Princess cruise next spring because Hal’s offerings are not doing much for me.  Things that I will dread are the limited breakfast menu, no discounts for specialty restaurants and the worst in my mind is the way you have to deal with the sanctuary.  You have to hope you get on the ship early then run up and hope you’ll be able to book a lounge.  It’s a pretty poor way to do things.  I also don’t love the tiny showers.  I’m elite on Princess so it’s not like I don’t know a few things about them.

I have not read all of this but we are 3 star mariners who tried Princess for the first time this past March for the Sky Princess Trans Atlantic.

We will never cruise Princess again and we love Holland America Line even more and are thankful to have Holland America Line as a choice.

Why? For us...many reasons....food, food service, lack of traditional dining, entertainment, sparse cabin, OK staff, no retractable roof over pool, no promenade deck to walk, nonworking app, not as good hydro suite, no internet, no music walk like entertainment,  and on and on....We did not feel at home on Princess.  I could go on but we are glad we cruised Princess so we now know even more why we love Holland America Line.

Of course, YMMV but that's our experience.....

Savor the journey folks.

• Like 1

I've sailed HAL, RCI, Cunard, Princess, Celebrity, Norwegian, and Viking.  They all offer me the opportunity to be on the sea and visit ports I may not otherwise get to.

I sail for the itinerary, but after fifty some cruises my needs are relatively simple.  A full promenade.  Someplace to get some food.  A wee dram or three in the evening with some acoustical string music. 

My don't needs are simple as well.  I don't need over amplified production shows,  over amplified Caribbean bands on the Melanoma Deck, or loud music in the loyalty lounge where conversation is impossible.

Even a so-so cruise is better than a good day at the office.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, cruisingrob21 said:

So many well taken points - but this is the best name I've heard for the deck where the chair hoarders run wild!

Thank you. Feel free to use it.

I've never been a fan of leather skin, so I avoid the Melanoma Deck as much as possible.  On one ship - and I can't recall which one - there was a burger bar just outside the elevator lobby on that deck.  The Caribbean band was so loud that the burger guy couldn't hear even a shouted order and I had to point to the menu.

And people just laid there frying in the sun, slowly going deaf.

On 6/3/2022 at 10:10 AM, FlaMariner said:

not as good hydro suite,

The differences between the Princess Royal Class ships and HAL's Vista Class and newer may be important to some.  Being in the bowels of the ship on Princess and being on an upper deck makes a difference in ambiance, in my opinion.  When I was on Royal Princess, there were some different amenities that HAL does not have, i.e. water beds, more showers at different temperatures.  The same type of spa facilities on MSC Meraviglia had even more variety.  But, it's enclosed with no natural light.  

We are 4* Mariners with HAL and just Platinum with Princess. The last time we cruised was 2020 with a Princess cruise followed by two Holland America cruises. We very much preferred the HAL cruises in terms of service, accommodations, and food. But Princess if far superior IMHO in onboard activities and I love MUTS, especially late at night. 

I wish HAL had sliding doors on their balconies like Princess, but I love HAL's larger balconies.

I wish HAL would use their "version" of MUTS better on the new ships.

I wish HAL would focus more on onboard activities and add to their Entertainment Staff.

I wish HAL had the onboard entertainment that Princess has.

I wish HAL was more fun. 

But in every other way, I wish Princess would be more like HAL.  🙂

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

21 hours ago, canadarocks said:

We are 4* Mariners with HAL and just Platinum with Princess. The last time we cruised was 2020 with a Princess cruise followed by two Holland America cruises. We very much preferred the HAL cruises in terms of service, accommodations, and food. But Princess if far superior IMHO in onboard activities and I love MUTS, especially late at night. 

I wish HAL had sliding doors on their balconies like Princess, but I love HAL's larger balconies.

I wish HAL would use their "version" of MUTS better on the new ships.

I wish HAL would focus more on onboard activities and add to their Entertainment Staff.

I wish HAL had the onboard entertainment that Princess has.

I wish HAL was more fun. 

But in every other way, I wish Princess would be more like HAL.  🙂

After a balcony cabin cruise on the Euroslam, we vowed never to cruise in a  HAL balcony again.

While trying to enjoy our balcony on sea days, people would step out onto their balcony and let their door slam behind them. It was a constant boom, boom, boom.  If we happed to be inside our cabin and the people next door let their door slam, it would rattle the pictures on our wall.

Never again.  

On 6/4/2022 at 4:41 PM, rkacruiser said:

The differences between the Princess Royal Class ships and HAL's Vista Class and newer may be important to some.  Being in the bowels of the ship on Princess and being on an upper deck makes a difference in ambiance, in my opinion.  When I was on Royal Princess, there were some different amenities that HAL does not have, i.e. water beds, more showers at different temperatures.  The same type of spa facilities on MSC Meraviglia had even more variety.  But, it's enclosed with no natural light.  

There are water beds?  Like, in the cabins?

L.

17 hours ago, leerathje said:

There are water beds?  Like, in the cabins?

L.

I know nothing about water beds in the cabins.

What I experienced on Royal Princess was a platform that had a water bed mattress on top of the platform.  I tried it once.  It was difficult to get out of and I did not try it again.  I did not care for it and preferred the thermal beds in the spa.  

Have cruised many lines & have most our days with HAL. Just did our first Princess cruise (26 days on Enchanted Apr 9 to May 4). Our thoughts;

Princess:

- Larger ships

- Good itineraries but less stops

- Noisy, crowded (but lovely looking) atrium area

- Music (often overlapping) always playing in all areas, both inside & out

- Outdoor movies (loud) playing day & night 

- NO quiet areas to be found anywhere

- Smaller cabins by category

- Small showers

- No couch in balconies

- No curtain between bed & sitting area for separation in balconies

- No roof closure for pool

- No front viewing inside area (like Crow’s Nest on HAL)

- Quiet A/C in room (unable to hear)

HAL;

- Smaller ships

- Great itineraries with many stops

- Quiet areas both inside & out

- Larger cabins by category

- Bathtubs in balconies

- Small couch & curtain for separation in balconies

- Roof closure for pool area

- Enrichment talks 

- Crow’s Nest with large inside forward viewing area, usually quiet

- Updated Explorers Lounge in Crow’s Next

- Loud A/C in room always running

For the most part I think service, food quality & entertainment are fairly comparable. 

• Like 1

Thanks for your comparison.  We recently took a RCCL ship (Quantum of the Seas) on an Alaska cruise out of Seattle to do a comparison to HAL.  The BIGGEST thing we were disappointed on that ship was that there was no forward facing area like HAL has in the Crow's Nest.  On the flip side, Quantum's pizza joint served the best pizza we've had on the high seas.

We're back on HAL at the first of next month to experience the Noordam for the first time, and we're looking forward to it.

On 6/1/2022 at 5:43 PM, RuthC said:

Great! It would be a welcome review. 

When you do post it, will you please post a link on the HAL forum, either as a new thread, or a new post in this thread so we will know to go there? I don't normally read in the Disabled Forum. 

Thanks. 

RuthC,

Here's the link as promised.

• Like 1