Didn’t do my homework.

emam

Booked to go on Britannia at the beginning of October. It was picked as it was the time we wanted. I have been trying to look at some of the ports and from what I have seen they look like the back streets of Hendon (Sunderland). I don’t know if I’m looking in the wrong places.

Can anyone tell me if there is anything to see in walking distance of any of these ports? If not it will be a case of looking to book a tour. We would be no good at getting local taxis, buses or trains. Could though do the little train if there is one in any of the ports.

@Jean has mentioned the hoho bus a few times, how does this actually work? Obviously I know that you hop on and off, but I’m wondering how you get back to the starting place. By that I mean do you have to go round the whole route to return or would there be buses going in the opposite direction? The one I looked at said it was a two hour round trip, but I don’t know if that even factored in hopping on or off.

La Coruna

Mallorca

Marseilles

• Like 1

Have a look at www.whatsinport.com.   However a quick look suggests that you may need some sort of transport into the town. If you're worried about doing it on your own look for another couple to share a taxi.

• Thanks 1

La Coruna you can walk from the ship around the pretty town and make your way to the beach. There is also a tour run beside the dock that takes you to lighthouse and other places that is not too long. It is not Ho ho, you get off and it waits for you. 
Marseilles you have to get a shuttle from the port into town although there is local transport. It is a very pretty harbour and pleasant to walk around. 

• Like 1

We have been to La Coruna. We didn't go into the town as we booked a trip to Santiago de Compestela but docked near the town.

Mallorca port is quite a walk to the town centre, and when I have been on other occasions, (not with P&O) there has been a shuttle bus dropping and taking back from near the cathedral in the town. I believe that P&O also offer a shuttle bus service.

I find google maps helpful in finding the location of the ports and other information of the surrounding area.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, emam said:

Booked to go on Britannia at the beginning of October. It was picked as it was the time we wanted. I have been trying to look at some of the ports and from what I have seen they look like the back streets of Hendon (Sunderland). I don’t know if I’m looking in the wrong places.

Can anyone tell me if there is anything to see in walking distance of any of these ports? If not it will be a case of looking to book a tour. We would be no good at getting local taxis, buses or trains. Could though do the little train if there is one in any of the ports.

@Jean has mentioned the hoho bus a few times, how does this actually work? Obviously I know that you hop on and off, but I’m wondering how you get back to the starting place. By that I mean do you have to go round the whole route to return or would there be buses going in the opposite direction? The one I looked at said it was a two hour round trip, but I don’t know if that even factored in hopping on or off.

La Coruna

Mallorca

Marseilles

La Coruna and Cadiz are walkable, but La Coruna does have some good trips. Barcelona, a shuttle into the City and wander. Majorca a trip to the beach, la Spezia, we will go to Portofino, Marseilles we will play by ear. You may gather that we are on the same cruise. We are going into La Coruna with Royal Caribbean in September, so may do a P&O, or local tour as we won't be paying RC prices.🤣

• Like 1

we've been to all these ports except la spezia. so in order , yes la coruna pleasant walk to town and or beach. friend recommends the maritime museum. Cadiz even closer to historic centre and nice cafes.  Palma de Mallorca  , its a bit further to town but my husband walked it okay. have a lovely time. nb another bit of homework is to investigate roaming charges for yr phone - some providers now charging a lot for use outside uk. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Gettingwarmer said:

La Coruna you can walk from the ship around the pretty town and make your way to the beach. There is also a tour run beside the dock that takes you to lighthouse and other places that is not too long. It is not Ho ho, you get off and it waits for you. 

Both sound good and now I know the tour I can look at that.

Marseilles you have to get a shuttle from the port into town although there is local transport. It is a very pretty harbour and pleasant to walk around. 

A walk around the harbour keeps us away from shops.  Thanks.

2 hours ago, purplesea said:

We have been to La Coruna. We didn't go into the town as we booked a trip to Santiago de Compestela but docked near the town.

Mallorca port is quite a walk to the town centre, and when I have been on other occasions, (not with P&O) there has been a shuttle bus dropping and taking back from near the cathedral in the town. I believe that P&O also offer a shuttle bus service.

I find google maps helpful in finding the location of the ports and other information of the surrounding area.

Mallorca is the one I couldn't find. It kept bringing up other places. Looks like it's the shuttle.

2 hours ago, zap99 said:

La Coruna and Cadiz are walkable, but La Coruna does have some good trips. Barcelona, a shuttle into the City and wander. Majorca a trip to the beach, la Spezia, we will go to Portofino, Marseilles we will play by ear. You may gather that we are on the same cruise. We are going into La Coruna with Royal Caribbean in September, so may do a P&O, or local tour as we won't be paying RC prices.🤣

Cadiz we will probably be looking for flamenco shoes, but this time I will either write out what I want or use translator ( will check roaming charges). Last time we went neither of us spoke each others and didn't have a very good phone. Barcelona we will probably visit the food market.

If I took a photo of your avatar would I spot you onboard lol. (I don't have smiley faces on here).

1 hour ago, sleepingcat said:

we've been to all these ports except la spezia. so in order , yes la coruna pleasant walk to town and or beach. friend recommends the maritime museum. Cadiz even closer to historic centre and nice cafes.  Palma de Mallorca  , its a bit further to town but my husband walked it okay. have a lovely time. nb another bit of homework is to investigate roaming charges for yr phone - some providers now charging a lot for use outside uk. 

Museum sounds good to me. I vaguely heard something about roaming charges.

17 minutes ago, emam said:

Mallorca is the one I couldn't find. It kept bringing up other places. Looks like it's the shuttle.

Try La Palma which is the port in Mallorca.

It sounds as though your itnerary is the similar to ours in May 2023 as we call at La Coruna, Mallorca, La Spezia, Marseilles, Barcelona and Cadiz.

La Coruna we might have a wander, the same in Mallorca, La Spezia we have relations in Pisa so they might travel out to meet us, Marseille not decided, Barcelona have been before so possibly another wander and Cadiz I want to take a trip to Saville as I didn't make it this year!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, emam said:

Cadiz we will probably be looking for flamenco shoes, but this time I will either write out what I want or use translator ( will check roaming charges). Last time we went neither of us spoke each others and didn't have a very good phone. Barcelona we will probably visit the food market.

If I took a photo of your avatar would I spot you onboard lol. (I don't have smiley faces on here).

We are on O2 and Tesco, which includes European roaming. The food market off Las Ramblas is worth a visit, but watch your belongings. We have never had a problem....but. The picture on our avitar is 1973 in Lamorna cove. Lamorna still looks the same, but we don't.🤣🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, emam said:

La Coruna

Mallorca

Marseilles

There is plenty to do if you like shopping Elaine.

The ships shuttles will drop you off near the centres.

There are lots of shops behind the cathedral in Palma Mallorca.

The shuttle in La Spezia drops you at the port gates.

Turn left and walk half a mile along the promenade then cross the road walk through a small park about 200 metres and you are on the main shopping street which runs several hundred metres away from the promenade.

The shuttle drops you off in the pretty port area of Marseilles and several shopping streets run adjacent to the promenade.

Cadiz centre is just across the road from the port and there are numerous streets of shops.

There are some interesting places to get a tour to from all those ports.

Graham.

• Like 1

From La Spezia there is the opportunity to visit the Cinque Terre. Its a boat trip but we really enjoyed it. It’s over 20 years since we visited Marseilles on a cruise ship & our dock was miles out of town. La Corunna; walk around the old town near the ship. Cross the town to the beach. We quite like it a a port. Palma cathedral, tree lined walk into city or beaches by service bus. You really need a shuttle to get to the town centre. Tours there used to be good- up the north west coast. Also I believe the railway tour is popular. None remind me of Hendon… Murton, perhaps 😄

Edited by Ranchi
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, purplesea said:

Try La Palma which is the port in Mallorca.

It sounds as though your itnerary is the similar to ours in May 2023 as we call at La Coruna, Mallorca, La Spezia, Marseilles, Barcelona and Cadiz.

La Coruna we might have a wander, the same in Mallorca, La Spezia we have relations in Pisa so they might travel out to meet us, Marseille not decided, Barcelona have been before so possibly another wander and Cadiz I want to take a trip to Saville as I didn't make it this year!

Yes the same places, but we have been to the ones I didn't mention. I will try La Palma, kept getting Majorca and Canary Islands when !ooking.

In La Spezia you can get a bus to Porto Venere which is beautiful. Takes about 25 minutes and a few euros. In Majorca if you have already visited Palma can recommend the train across the mountains to Soller. Fantastic views.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Fionboard said:

In La Spezia you can get a bus to Porto Venere which is beautiful. Takes about 25 minutes and a few euros. In Majorca if you have already visited Palma can recommend the train across the mountains to Soller. Fantastic views.

We will look into how we get to Portofino a bit nearer to the time. Some tips for Soller. Get of the ship early, taxi to the station, get on the right train ( it's the old wooden one that once transported banana's ). Tram to Porto Soller. Enjoy this delightful town. Coffee and cake. Rush back via express bus. ..... Don't miss the ship.🤣

1 hour ago, zap99 said:

We will look into how we get to Portofino a bit nearer to the time. Some tips for Soller. Get of the ship early, taxi to the station, get on the right train ( it's the old wooden one that once transported banana's ). Tram to Porto Soller. Enjoy this delightful town. Coffee and cake. Rush back via express bus. ..... Don't miss the ship.🤣

I'm actually on Celebrity Edge middle of the month with Portofino as a tender port - we're looking forward to the Magic Carpet! We looked at various cruises calling in the area before choosing this one an apparently it's a train ride of about 1 hr 15 minutes and a short bus journey to Portofino so not as easily doable from La Spezia or Genoa.  As we have a large amount of OBC for our Edge sailing we are taking what is termed "the Ligurian coast" excursion with Celebrity which I gulped at the cost of, almost 3 1/2 times what i paid on P&O in 2019.

The Cinque Terre ports are easily visited using the public ferries - I've previously done this from Genoa and it was quite a lovely way to do it.

Regarding the Soller train, we are hoping to do that.  We noted the excursion from Celebrity was sold out. Reading this is it possible to arrange this on our own?

Edited by Megabear2

2 hours ago, Megabear2 said:

I'm actually on Celebrity Edge middle of the month with Portofino as a tender port - we're looking forward to the Magic Carpet! We looked at various cruises calling in the area before choosing this one an apparently it's a train ride of about 1 hr 15 minutes and a short bus journey to Portofino so not as easily doable from La Spezia or Genoa.  As we have a large amount of OBC for our Edge sailing we are taking what is termed "the Ligurian coast" excursion with Celebrity which I gulped at the cost of, almost 3 1/2 times what i paid on P&O in 2019.

The Cinque Terre ports are easily visited using the public ferries - I've previously done this from Genoa and it was quite a lovely way to do it.

Regarding the Soller train, we are hoping to do that.  We noted the excursion from Celebrity was sold out. Reading this is it possible to arrange this on our own?

We are calling in to Portofino next year with RC. May do something else this year.Cinque Terre by boat sounds good. Soller is doable independently, just get it right. We checked the timetable and got a taxi to the station leaving plenty of time. Train ride to Soller, where you need to change to the tram into Porto Soller. We got an express bus back to Palma just to be on the safe side timewise. We did that excursion with RC a few years ago. Including lunch in the 5* hotel it was about £150 each. Hence doing it independently.

• Like 1