Last Minute Details / Questions - First Timer

Dlb723

Good morning,

Our cruise leaves Seattle in 10 days for Alaska on the Encore.  I've got my on-line check-in done, ArriveCan app downloaded / accounts created / documents loaded, eMed tests are received and accounts created for testing, dining booked, excursions booked, and Thermal Spa purchased.  I've been reading up on how embarking works and what we should look to do when we first get onboard.  I still have a few questions though and hope someone can help.

-  Other than printing our eDocs (we got our luggage tags in the mail), is there anything else I need to do with Norwegian in advance?  We will be bringing vaccine cards, passports, and eDocs with us to board.

-  Once onboard, I want to book Choir of Man and other shows as well as purchase two speedway passes for the teenage boys.  Where is the best place to do this?

-  I also wanted to inquire about the texting package.  I think it is $10 per device, correct?  Do you recommend this and where can I purchase?  We have 250 minutes for one device and I was hoping to stick to that to entice the kids to enjoy the experience more but I still need to be able to get ahold of them.

I've also read we should turn our phones to airplane mode and visit the spa for possible day 1 giveaways / raffles.  What else am I missing?  Any advice is very welcome.  These message boards have been a life saver in our preparations.

Thank you!

Sounds like you are well organized and have all your documents ready. Do you have the NCL app? 

To book shows etc there are screens around the Atrium where you can book. It can also be done on your tv screen.

Once onboard go to the app and you will be able to sign up for the text/phone option while onboard. It is $10 per device. You can then add everyone you want to keep in touch with. The only bad thing about it is that you have to keep checking for messages...it doesn't have a 'sound' like texting.

Turning on airplane mode stops your phone from connecting to the ship and costing you lots of $$. You just need to be on wifi for both the texting option and internet minutes.

Please note that for the internet minutes you need to log on...do your internet stuff...then you MUST log off otherwise the minutes just keep going until there are none left.

Enjoy the cruise 😎

• Like 1

Go online and find, copy and take a good deck plan. The first day at sea use that to scout out where the best viewing spots are for viewing or photos. Plan for if it is raining or sunny. Front of ship and back.  High and low and try to find spots that others might not notice. I have found great spots that you had to cut through the gym to get to. For glacier days if you stay in your room waiting for the ship to rotate you have missed 1/2 of the viewing. I don't have any Encore special spots since I have not been on her. 

sightcrr. 

• Like 2

Choir of Man can also be booked at the box office.  I always stop by there to pick up the whole cruise's entertainment schedule.  You can see when Levity Comedy is, any shows that require reservations, etc. and the times/dates.  

Definitely enjoyed Choir on Escape a couple of weeks ago even though I had seen it before on other ships!  Due to covid, guests couldn't go up to the stage to get beer on tap before the show though some roving bar servers brought it to the audience.  So if that's part of the experience you want, sit up front!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, CaptainBazz said:

To book shows etc there are screens around the Atrium where you can book. It can also be done on your tv screen.

On the Encore, if she's like her sister ships (Joy and Bliss) there are two screens in each stair lobby on each deck.  There may be some in the atrium.  Shows, dining and activities (go-karts and laser tag) can be booked as well.

3 hours ago, Dlb723 said:

-  I also wanted to inquire about the texting package.  I think it is $10 per device, correct?  Do you recommend this and where can I purchase?  We have 250 minutes for one device and I was hoping to stick to that to entice the kids to enjoy the experience more but I still need to be able to get ahold of them.

$10 per device, done through the Norwegian app and I think each person needs their own login.

3 hours ago, Dlb723 said:

I've also read we should turn our phones to airplane mode

YES!  Turn on airplane mode then turn WiFi back on.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, SightCRR said:

Go online and find, copy and take a good deck plan. The first day at sea use that to scout out where the best viewing spots are for viewing or photos.

For glacier days if you stay in your room waiting for the ship to rotate you have missed 1/2 of the viewing.

Thanks so much for the advice!

5 hours ago, CaptainBazz said:

Sounds like you are well organized and have all your documents ready. Do you have the NCL app? 

We've got the NCL app!  Thanks for all the info.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, snorklinbarb said:

Choir of Man can also be booked at the box office.  I always stop by there to pick up the whole cruise's entertainment schedule.  You can see when Levity Comedy is, any shows that require reservations, etc. and the times/dates.  

Definitely enjoyed Choir on Escape a couple of weeks ago even though I had seen it before on other ships!  Due to covid, guests couldn't go up to the stage to get beer on tap before the show though some roving bar servers brought it to the audience.  So if that's part of the experience you want, sit up front!

We will be up front for the beer.  Good suggestion on the box office.

6 hours ago, Dlb723 said:

Other than printing our eDocs...

you don't really need to print the edocs... there is a QR code in the app... that's really all they need to start the check in process. it's quite possible that you may nave poor cell service or wifi service at the port, so it's helpful to have a screen shot of the QR code(s). if you must, and it makes you feel better, you can print out the QR code(s). but there is really no reason to print out the entire multipage edoc anymore.

with regard to text messages... are you all on apple devices, by any chance? if so, you will most likely find that the iMessage feature works from one apple device to another while connected to the ship's wifi, even if you are not using minutes and officially connected through an internet "package." in other words, you may not need to purchase the "text" package. there are several threads here in the NCL forum about this and related matters.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, UKstages said:

you don't really need to print the edocs... there is a QR code in the app... that's really all they need to start the check in process. it's quite possible that you may nave poor cell service or wifi service at the port, so it's helpful to have a screen shot of the QR code(s). if you must, and it makes you feel better, you can print out the QR code(s). but there is really no reason to print out the entire multipage edoc anymore.

Edocs are more than just something to have at checkin- having a copy of your edocs (printed or pdf on your phone) could come in handy.  Edocs also have contact information, plus a list of the excursions and amenities you have paid for - in case they aren't on your account when you board.

If you are using the NCL shuttle from the airport, - it's your ticket and proof that you paid for the shuttle.  (I speak from experience!)

• Like 1

17 hours ago, UKstages said:

with regard to text messages... are you all on apple devices, by any chance? if so, you will most likely find that the iMessage feature works from one apple device to another while connected to the ship's wifi, even if you are not using minutes and officially connected through an internet "package." in other words, you may not need to purchase the "text" package. there are several threads here in the NCL forum about this and related matters.

Unfortunately, we have two Apple and two Android users.  We are a strange family indeed!  I will look for these other threads.  Thank you!

One thing you may be surprised about is when glaciers calf, there is an enormous sound - like a very mini sonic boom.  So get outside to capture the unique experience.  Many people get sad when glaciers calf, but even in the coldest summers glacier calving is a natural process as the ice flows into the ocean.

Unless you are VERY close to wildlife or have tremendous photographic equipment, your wildlife photos will not look like National Geographic.  So rather than trying to get that perfect shot, just put the camera down and enjoy the moment in real time.  You can always photoshop yourself into somebody else's great photos.

Enjoy.

• Like 4

On 6/2/2022 at 2:56 PM, UKstages said:

I'm just back from a cruise on the Jade (from Athens). Not even the QR code was needed: they were looking up bookings by name (maybe the QR reader was on the fritz?). The only thing they wanted to see was a vaccination card.

• Like 1

On 6/3/2022 at 5:00 PM, CrazyTrain2 said:

So rather than trying to get that perfect shot, just put the camera down and enjoy the moment in real time.  You can always photoshop yourself into somebody else's great photos.

LOL - I love this advice!

On 6/3/2022 at 5:00 PM, CrazyTrain2 said:

Unless you are VERY close to wildlife or have tremendous photographic equipment, your wildlife photos will not look like National Geographic.  So rather than trying to get that perfect shot, just put the camera down and enjoy the moment in real time.  You can always photoshop yourself into somebody else's great photos.

AMEN MY SISTA/BROTHA!!! Haha - this may be the absolutely best advice I've ever seen on these boards. Put down that damn phone and enjoy the experience you're living y'all!