Haven worth it for a solo?

KKB

2 hours ago, Sthrngary said:

May I recommend you post a topic on most reasonable shuttles for early arrival on this NCL Blog. I am assuming you are flying in the day off.  If not, possible consider staying in a hotel closer to the port.  When I do this, it is a super quick and cheap cab or uber ride to the port.  Not telling you what to do. Just giving some thoughts. 

Cruise well.

I'm on the Getaway transatlantic finishing in Orlando and a fellow passenger recommended this company https://airportcanaveral.com.  I've booked a transfer with them.

• Like 1

I did submit a bid for one at the price I thought would be worth it but I did not get it. It cannot possibly be any more isolating than the treatment I got in La Cucina and Cagney's as a solo diner on Joy. In the dining rooms I would get my food in world record time as apparently someone's trained them that sitting alone in a restaurant is a bad thing....  I would have enjoyed the haven and would bid again if I had a chance. The only place you can eat and get "equal treatment" is the buffet because they look for empty plates not how many there are.

Edited by Mademypoint

11 hours ago, Sthrngary said:

OK, great.  Here is another strategy if you want the Vibe Beach Club.  Step one: Get the earliest arrive time at the port possible.  When you get there, even if you are early, there will be a line.  Step two: research online where the Vibe Beach Club passes are being sold on the ship.  Step three: When you get in the waiting room to board, get a set closest to the entry door.  Step four: get in and to the Vibe Table as fast as you can.  

This is the process I did and I was in a Club Suite.  I was second online.  The Vibe was a game changer if I was not in the Haven.  If the weather for the week looked bad, i would have done the Thermal Spa if the ship had it.  Both are purchased on the ship (Thermal Spa sometimes is available pre-cruise so check).  I am not suggesting doing both.  Just make a wise business decision based on weather. 

Cruise well.

Question...You mention getting the drink package plus if going "Haven Lite"

I do like the idea of trying things I wouldn't try on the basic package.

If I do get a Haven upgrade, do I basically get this package everywhere? Or only in Haven?

(the more I consider, the more I may try "Haven Lite"!)

Edited by KKB

if you upgrade the drink package, it can be used ship-wide. be aware, however, that availability of certain premium beverages may be limited at some bars. you may have to kind of "shop around" to find which bars have your preferred premium beverage in stock.

12 hours ago, KKB said:

You mention getting the drink package plus if going "Haven Lite"

I do like the idea of trying things I wouldn't try on the basic package.

All me to clarify.  Regardless of the stateroom I purchase, I always get the Premium Plus Drink Package.  I wrote an very popular CruiseCritic.com op-ed on this "Plus" package.  The only way to get it is to purchase it.  Being in the Haven does not get you the package. 

I do this package because during this week I drink things I would never drink at home.  Tequila 1942, French champagne, nicer red wines, imported bottled water, specialty coffees and starbucks. 

12 hours ago, KKB said:

If I do get a Haven upgrade, do I basically get this package everywhere? Or only in Haven?

The drink package in the Haven is no difference then the package everyone gets as a perk.  The upgrade for the Premium Plus is $250  per person for seven day trip.

Cruise well.

• Like 1

@KKB...saw your reply over in "my" thread.

Excited to hear about your Princess cruise.  

But, if you're still looking for solo Haven impressions, I wouldn't worry in the slightest about being "solo" in the Haven.  You'll find plenty of people to hang with.

"Haven Lite" sounds like fun, too.  I did that once getting VIBE passes.  Found it to be somewhat cliquey and the VIBE ended up getting rowdy.  I don't mind rowdy.  But, when one particular group gets rowdy and demands the attention of the ENTIRE Vibe staff, it sort of defeated the purpose.

Could have been just one group on my "only" Vibe experience, though.  So, I don't have extensive history with the VIBE.

How much does it cost these days?

Let us know if you pull the trigger on a solo Haven Cabin.

Edited by graphicguy

1 minute ago, graphicguy said:

@KKB...saw your reply over in "my" thread.

Excited to hear about your Princess cruise.  

But, if you're still looking for solo Haven impressions, I wouldn't worry in the slightest about being "solo" in the Haven.  You'll find plenty of people to hang with.

Let us know if you pull the trigger on a solo Haven Cabin.

Oh I am going round & round...

Should I do Disney a couple days before (shuttle headache)?

Should I try "Haven Lite"--if so I need hotel by Port instead of MCO to try to get Vibe (more $ plus transport on Friday looks limited to Lyft, so costlier than original MCO hotel & shuttle)? (plus Vibe on Getaway looks a bit windy for my taste--Haven is right there; does it have wind issues too?)

Should I bite the bullet & bid $500 ($1000 total) as I would never get Haven that cheap if they accept it?

(also means I can leave MCO hotel & transfer as is!

Or just save my $--goodness knows I'll have a good time no matter what?

Cripes I have WAY too much time to ponder things during retirement🤪

3 hours ago, KKB said:

Oh I am going round & round...

Should I do Disney a couple days before (shuttle headache)?

Should I try "Haven Lite"--if so I need hotel by Port instead of MCO to try to get Vibe (more $ plus transport on Friday looks limited to Lyft, so costlier than original MCO hotel & shuttle)? (plus Vibe on Getaway looks a bit windy for my taste--Haven is right there; does it have wind issues too?)

Should I bite the bullet & bid $500 ($1000 total) as I would never get Haven that cheap if they accept it?

(also means I can leave MCO hotel & transfer as is!

Or just save my $--goodness knows I'll have a good time no matter what?

Cripes I have WAY too much time to ponder things during retirement🤪

Haven!   See, I helped you out! 😉

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, graphicguy said:

What @graphicguysaid. Just do the Haven! 

Unlike Gary, I would never do Haven-lite or sail on a ship without the Haven Restaurant. It's just too important to me - specialty restaurants (Cagney's was just ok, Teppanyaki was good, but just like shoreside hibachi). Also @Sthrngary, now you're a king? Sheesh, from rockstar to king! Haha I'm just kidding with you. 🙂

26 minutes ago, cruiseny4life said:

What @graphicguysaid. Just do the Haven! 

Unlike Gary, I would never do Haven-lite or sail on a ship without the Haven Restaurant. It's just too important to me - specialty restaurants (Cagney's was just ok, Teppanyaki was good, but just like shoreside hibachi). Also @Sthrngary, now you're a king? Sheesh, from rockstar to king! Haha I'm just kidding with you. 🙂

@cruiseny4life Quite the jab but I deserve it.  Here is the real deal and I hope everyone understands.  The only reason I did Haven Lite was because I was doing a Solo Cruise on the NCL Joy.  My suite rate was $800.00 as a solo.  It was a club suite.  I could have gotten a Haven Suite for approximately $3,450.00 for that solo cruise.  As much as I love the Haven, and I do love the Haven; that difference was just to much.  

My strategy was to upgrade to the Haven.  I was not successful and there was a pretty good reason why.  Some weeks before, an NCL ship was damaged on a sand bar.  Those passengers were given a great deal to choose the Joy the week I was doing my Solo.  Instantly, the Haven Suites were gone not allowing for upgrades.  Understandable.  When life provides you with lemons, you make Lemonade. I created for myself the Haven Lite.  It worked out well and I even enjoyed some of the Specialty restaurants. 

All this said, I assure everyone reading.  On my December 4, 2022 cruise out of New Orleans, my wife and I are in another Club Suite.  I will be aggressively bidding on a Haven Suite.  It makes more sense then.  Where when you bit as a solo, you have to pay two upgrade amount.  When you are double occupancy, it is the same making it much more of a value. 

I did learn a valuable less on on that solo trip.  The Vibe Beach Club on the Joy is the place to be.  That experience was great and I never would have even considered it if I was in the Haven.  The Joy Vibe is twice as big as other and has two huge hot tubs.  The staff was outstanding.  Just my two cents.  I like everyone who cruises once a year should be treated like a "Rock Star King".

Cruise well

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Sthrngary said:

I like everyone who cruises once a year should be treated like a "Rock Star King".

Cruise well

Oh Gary, I'm just kidding! Trust me, I totally respect your advice and would not have had nearly as great a time without your posts. You're the real "Rock Star King" of the Cruise Critic boards to me! 

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, cruiseny4life said:

Oh Gary, I'm just kidding! Trust me, I totally respect your advice and would not have had nearly as great a time without your posts. You're the real "Rock Star King" of the Cruise Critic boards to me! 

LOL, I really wanted to explain myself and you gave me a venue.  I am trying not to post to much and allow other to take the lead.  I knew you were kidding.  I am in the process of drafting a op-ed called, Life and Times of a Cruise-aholic.  I will post it soon.

I can't tell you how much it means to me that folks enjoy their cruises because of posts I do.  It allows me to live through their experiences.  The Haven is a great experience for sure.

Cruise well.

3 hours ago, reeinaz said:

@Sthrngary Can you provide a link to your premium plus post?

This is a huge blog.  I wrote it several years ago and it still gets entries to this day.  Everyone wants something different from their drink package.  Some folks it is all about wines, other high end spirits and then it is convenience.  Have a look and if you have specific questions, please ask on that stream so we do not highjack this topic.  

Cruise well.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, scottca075 said:

For the cost of being a solo in the Haven, I'd rather be on Silversea, Viking Ocean or Seabourn.

It depends if you can upgrade at the lowest end of the bid process.  If what you are saying is based on paying retail, I completely agree.  I write all the time about those luxury brands.  Please also remember that a luxury brand is not for everyone.  It is a completely different cruising experience.  I like both experience however we all have to make that decision for ourselves. 

• Like 1

On 6/5/2022 at 2:40 PM, graphicguy said:

Here's the deal...

To get Vibe pass I will need to stay at Port Canaveral instead of near MCO.

Of course hotels are more, as is my transfer.

Plus the cost of Vibe.

Plus maybe added specialty dining.

Seriously, it may cost me almost as much to do "Haven Lite" as just to bid on an upgrade!

Plus no stress to try to get the Vibe pass.

I'm starting tho think more & more that YOU ARE RIGHT!

(PS you should look at the 8/20 Getaway sailing. They are not charging a solo supplement for regular balconies $819!)

Edited by KKB

1 hour ago, KKB said:

Here's the deal...

To get Vibe pass I will need to stay at Port Canaveral instead of near MCO.

Of course hotels are more, as is my transfer.

Plus the cost of Vibe.

Plus maybe added specialty dining.

Seriously, it may cost me almost as much to do "Haven Lite" as just to bid on an upgrade!

Plus no stress to try to get the Vibe pass.

I'm starting tho think more & more that YOU ARE RIGHT!

(PS you should look at the 8/20 Getaway sailing. They are not charging a solo supplement for regular balconies $819!)

Wait a minute.  You think I'm right?

"Hey honey....come here and Read this.  I've been telling you for years I'm right and you always just laugh.  I finally found someone who agrees with me."

LOL!

In all frankness, by the time you do get the VIBE passes (if you get the VIBE passes), and packaging in some specialty dinners, you're flying near the cost of the Haven.

All due respect to @Sthrngary, I tried to do the whole VIBE as Haven Lite a few years before the shutdown.  I didn't have as pleasant of an experience.  Now, the VIBE is even more expensive.

I'm finding the hotels near the port in Orlando to be more expensive than the ones near MCO.  But, the hotels hear MCO are 45 minutes from the port.  So, not sure what an Uber ride would cost, given they aren't much (if any) cheaper than a taxi at this juncture.

3 hours ago, graphicguy said:

All due respect to @Sthrngary, I tried to do the whole VIBE as Haven Lite a few years before the shutdown.  I didn't have as pleasant of an experience.  Now, the VIBE is even more expensive.

You never have to say, "All Due Respect" for me.  It makes me feel uncomfortable.  My family think I have no idea of life or anything else in general.  That is what I am used too.  Now that we got that out of the way.

If you gave me the following choices, Vibe or Haven; I would do the Haven every time.  No question.  If I am at a $800.00 solo rate, add $200.00 for Vibe for a total of $1,100.00.  I choose the Vibe.  Please remember both my recent cruises were during very low capacity but the Haven was sold out.  

Always take the situation into mind.  My Vibe experience on the NCL Joy with a double vibe area was the best of that type of experience I have ever had.  If Haven would have upgraded me, I would not have done the Vibe. 

I love cruising so much and sometimes, I just can't justify the Haven.  That is what created Haven Lite. 

Cruise well

• Like 1

just a pilot. even with no sea days, you can call the butler and have him bring you goodies when  you get back aboard, you can chill out in the haven pool or jaccuzzi (assuming your ship has one) you can relax in the haven bar without the crowds and the noise, you can have the concierge reserve a seat for you in the show, or a table in the specialty restaurants,. i have asked my butler to bring me an ice cold beer after an exhausting day on an excursion and there's nothing like taking off your shoes, kicking back on your balcony and watching the sea go by.

sometimes if the price works out, my wife and i book the  2 bedroom suite. it's the same idea (imho)as getting a haven suite solo. the extra bedroom is not utilized, but we're in the haven complex

the questions was" is it worth it to book the haven if youre going solo". you would face the same dilemma in any cabin if the cruise was port intensive with no sea days. 

again, i believe the answer is simple. if you can afford it, go for it.

the only downside with booking a haven, is that it will be difficult, if not impossible to be satisfied with anything less.

do you agree sthrngary? ncl's personal haven expert

18 minutes ago, complawyer said:

just a pilot. even with no sea days, you can call the butler and have him bring you goodies when  you get back aboard, you can chill out in the haven pool or jaccuzzi (assuming your ship has one) you can relax in the haven bar without the crowds and the noise, you can have the concierge reserve a seat for you in the show, or a table in the specialty restaurants,. i have asked my butler to bring me an ice cold beer after an exhausting day on an excursion and there's nothing like taking off your shoes, kicking back on your balcony and watching the sea go by.

sometimes if the price works out, my wife and i book the  2 bedroom suite. it's the same idea (imho)as getting a haven suite solo. the extra bedroom is not utilized, but we're in the haven complex

the questions was" is it worth it to book the haven if youre going solo". you would face the same dilemma in any cabin if the cruise was port intensive with no sea days. 

again, i believe the answer is simple. if you can afford it, go for it.

the only downside with booking a haven, is that it will be difficult, if not impossible to be satisfied with anything less.

do you agree sthrngary? ncl's personal haven expert

Really good answer and now it’s giving me ideas as to what I should do on my Med cruise next month lol. 

you will definitely not regret booking a haven, especially if your ship has the designated haven pool area, bar and restaurant. i would also like to add, when we 1st meet our butler, (which is usually right after we get into the cabin) i request the following: bring a carafe of coffee, and a carafe of hot water for tea, sweet rolls, pastries and or croissants. but just enough to start the day, and i have him/her bring it at around 7:00 am. this really helps if you need  to get off the ship for an early scheduled excursion.  if i dont ask for a beer, i'll ask for a can or two of pepsi (i'm addicted).

i also have him bring an assortment of meats, cheeses and crackers as an afternoon munchie

finally, (and ive posted this many times before) at final disembarkation, everyone is trying to get off the ship. its like trying to check out of a hotel at the same time as  a few thousand of your closest friends. the concierge has the ability to get  you off the ship, to your luggage and on your way to a cab, within 15-20 minutes. no muss, no fuss, and no bother.

all things being equal, to me that alone is worth the price of admission. 

again, if in any way you can afford the extra $$$ go for it.

our last cruise (this past april from athens) we invited an old friend to join us in the 2 bedroom. i told her the 2nd bedroom was small, but would accommodate 1 person comfortably and she would have access to the rest of the cabin and all the haven amenities. she had sailed with ncl before, but never in the haven complex. needless to say, she came off the cruise spoiled as hell, and i dont think she'll ever book a lessor cabin on her own. by the way, she's joining us again in a 2 bedroom suite this sept on the star from southampton. the down side is the star doesnt have a haven, but the suite amenities are the same 

12 hours ago, Sthrngary said:

You never have to say, "All Due Respect" for me.  It makes me feel uncomfortable.  My family think I have no idea of life or anything else in general.  That is what I am used too.  Now that we got that out of the way.

If you gave me the following choices, Vibe or Haven; I would do the Haven every time.  No question.  If I am at a $800.00 solo rate, add $200.00 for Vibe for a total of $1,100.00.  I choose the Vibe.  Please remember both my recent cruises were during very low capacity but the Haven was sold out.  

Always take the situation into mind.  My Vibe experience on the NCL Joy with a double vibe area was the best of that type of experience I have ever had.  If Haven would have upgraded me, I would not have done the Vibe. 

I love cruising so much and sometimes, I just can't justify the Haven.  That is what created Haven Lite. 

Cruise well

Totally get that!  🙂