Haven worth it for a solo?

KKB

1 hour ago, Sthrngary said:

The best part of the Haven is when the craziness of the ship gets to much, you can just go through the Haven doors and chill. 

THAT is the biggest reason I am leaning toward it.

2022 has been very difficult. 

Mom passed after a year battle with cancer in Feb; Dad moved to assisted living in Mar. & discovered his prostate cancer from several years ago has spread.

And we sold their home last month. 

(so while this has been tough for me, MUCH tougher for him)

I did retire 2 weeks ago so my load is lightened in that regard but Dad still needs lots of support as he does not drive. 

But travel is my respite. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, KKB said:

Mom passed after a year battle with cancer in Feb; Dad moved to assisted living in Mar. & discovered his prostate cancer from several years ago has spread.

I did retire 2 weeks ago so my load is lightened in that regard but Dad still needs lots of support as he does not drive. 

@KKBNow you don't know me very well but I want to share some things that I enjoy.  They might or might not appeal to you so pick and choose. First, so sorry for you loss.  On your dad, my wife and I had a similar situation and it can be tough. If anyone deserve a nice vacation, it is you.

On to some thoughts.  Like the Haven, many things I suggest are often times debated.  My wife and I always do the Premium Plus Beverage Package.  Lots of reason.  My main reason is I like Tequila 1942.  I also like French Champagnie. I don't overdo it (Much) but it is nice to have things I normally don't do at home when on vacation.  I call it, being treated like a "rock star" for one week a year. 

I also like the Haven Sun deck.  I make sure the servers know I would like them to check on me from time to time.  In your room, you have a wireless phone that you can take with you and call your butler. There is a simple but nice lunch menu.  When I am on the Haven Sundeck, I have the butler bring me up some lunch or a snack.

Not sure which ship your are on so this may or may not relate.  For most main shows, the Haven has a area on Stage right, side.  However, if you ship has the show Elements, consider siting third or fourth row center.  I won't tell you why just you will thank me after the show. 

If you choose to go to Cagney's for dinner one night, come in early and have a drink at the "A" list bar.  Never crowned and classy.  For desert in Cagney's consider the Chocolat Cake. There is a story here.  Several years ago, the Haven had a small, round Chocolat Cake.  I actually broke a diet to have it on my second night cruising.  It was unbelievable.  In November 2021 when I was cruising in the Haven again, I ordered what looked like the same cake.  It was a disappointment.  Then, I got the slice of cake in Cagney's and there was the taste.  

Unlike many other cruise lines, the butler and the Haven desk do different things.  The desk is in the Haven proper by the Haven bar.  If you want Go-Cart, Lasor Tag, Show Reservations or change Specialty Restuarant reservations; they are your best choice.  

On day one, you will be offered a complementary lunch at the American Dinner.  Pass on it.  Go to the Haven Restuarant.  Get to know the servers and the menu.  Remember the Haven Menu does not change from day to day.  If you give them 24 notice, you can have items from the MDR brought to you.  Another request from those whom has stayed in the Haven before is, Filet with Eggs in the morning.  On the menu it shows Strip.  Just tell them the day before.  

When you want off the ship, go to the Haven Desk and they have a service elevator to take all Haven Guest off the ship super-fast.  On your last day, you can have breakfast and get off the ship super-fast.  For me, that reduces my stress if my air reservations are before 12 pm. 

I have a habit of checking my room bill everyday.  There is always something that needs to be changed.  Go to the Haven Deck not Guest Services. 

Finally, one night when the Haven Bar is not crowded, ask the bartender to make you a "Smoking" drink.  It is a show and I always get anyone in the bar area to join me.  It delights everyone.  

Hope that helps.

Cruise well

• Like 3

For years...decades...I clawed and sacrificed to climb the income ladder.  I hopefully made a comfortable life for my son, financed his education and put him on solid footing financially and made sure he had his head on straight.  Did the same for his Mother, although we're no longer together.  

Now, the time to pay myself is here.  I promised to never say "boy, glad I did that cheaply" when it came to making time for my family, and now myself.  I am lucky that I can afford to do this cruising passion.  Become pretty good at it, too (LOL!).

That said, I love to find a bargain.  If I find a Carnival Cruise at $50/pp/pd, I'd book that in a heart beat, even though Carnival does not top my cruising list.  BTW, I have found a Carnival Cruise in that price range.

I also love to find a cruise that's all about the lux part of cruising.

There is a limit of what I'll book for a cheap cruise, and for a lux cruise.  But, at the end of the day, I'd rather say a cruise was a great one vs that cruise was a cheap one, I'll take "great" every time.

@KKB...being responsible for parents is a tough gig.  I commend you.  Do what makes you happy.  You'll not be able to affect anything one way or the other while you're cruising.  You can worry about it.  But, you won't change anything by worrying.

Just reading your posts it's easy to see how much you care.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, KKB said:

I have great empathy. I cared for my parents for nearly a decade. It is not something anyone can prepare you for. The hardest job you will ever love. While I was caring for my parents I did 3 solo cruises because, like you, it was my respite. 

I have not done Haven, but I did do Posh on the epic which gives you access to the Haven outside area, haven waiters and bartenders all day, and the haven lunch menu delivered to your comfy umbrellaed chaise. So a tiny taste of haven without the price-tag. I have also done Yacht Club which is similar to Haven on MSC. Both lovely experiences, but for me, all I really need is a balcony to escape to in order to be completely satisfied. It's not that I would avoid more expensive suites, it's just that once I put a per day pricetag on the difference between a large balcony and Haven, it becomes very clear that the best value for me is the balcony (again; preferably a large one with a chaise lounge chair on it, as I do often elect to pay for that little upgrade :)). 

On another note, and this may be way too personal, but I struggled with taking a vacation while I was caring for my mom (dad died first and mom lived another 4 years). But, I read a book about caring for Alzheimer's patients which suggested that vacationing for the caregiver is a bit like putting the air mask on yourself before your child in the event of a plane decompressing. If you aren't healthy, you can't care for them. Again, perhaps too personal, but please be sure to take care of yourself. Your mom and dad want that.

The beauty here is there really is no wrong answer. I suspect you will greatly enjoy either experience. My best to you.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

I have great empathy. I cared for my parents for nearly a decade. It is not something anyone can prepare you for. The hardest job you will ever love. While I was caring for my parents I did 3 solo cruises because, like you, it was my respite. 

I have not done Haven, but I did do Posh on the epic which gives you access to the Haven outside area, haven waiters and bartenders all day, and the haven lunch menu delivered to your comfy umbrellaed chaise. So a tiny taste of haven without the price-tag. I have also done Yacht Club which is similar to Haven on MSC. Both lovely experiences, but for me, all I really need is a balcony to escape to in order to be completely satisfied. It's not that I would avoid more expensive suites, it's just that once I put a per day pricetag on the difference between a large balcony and Haven, it becomes very clear that the best value for me is the balcony (again; preferably a large one with a chaise lounge chair on it, as I do often elect to pay for that little upgrade :)). 

On another note, and this may be way too personal, but I struggled with taking a vacation while I was caring for my mom (dad died first and mom lived another 4 years). But, I read a book about caring for Alzheimer's patients which suggested that vacationing for the caregiver is a bit like putting the air mask on yourself before your child in the event of a plane decompressing. If you aren't healthy, you can't care for them. Again, perhaps too personal, but please be sure to take care of yourself. Your mom and dad want that.

The beauty here is there really is no wrong answer. I suspect you will greatly enjoy either experience. My best to you.

"The hardest job you will ever love". Exactly.

I took leave once Mom went into hospice. It's the hardest thing I've ever done, and I'm honored that I could be there for them both. Thankful we have resources to allow me to do so.

She passed Feb. 14 & we had a March 12 Apex cruise booked since Sept. 2020. 

It was bittersweet as she did join me on the Edge last summer so there were many moments that brought back lovely memories. That Edge cruise was SO SO special. 

Dad hasn't been able to travel for several years & always encouraged Mom to continue to do so. 
I now realize how much work she was doing to care for him. God bless her.

Luckily he encourages me to do the same, as does DH (who travels with me a lot)

But I couldn't do it without family & friends to cover when I am gone. 

Truly blessed.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, KKB said:

First, I am sorry for all your losses and my heart goes out to you. I was the prime caregiver for my father who lost his battle with cancer in 2015 and now, the caregiver for my 92 year old mother….

For what it’s worth and having sailed in the Haven solo, I just say do it! For me, between working full-time (40+ hours/week due to nursing shortages) and then coming home to my mom who, while very healthy, needs to be driven to doctor appointments, grocery shopping, heck, just getting out of the house to “blow the stink off” as she says as well as  knowing that I only get one week a year to vacation on my own (I have to fly my sister in from out of state to stay with her while I’m gone), the Haven will truly be my haven and I know I deserve it!

Sure it’s not for everyone - but I love the peace and quiet, the never having to look for a lounge chair, having a restaurant and bar within steps of my suite….ahhhhhhhh! If I want to experience crowds and noise - I just walk outside of the Haven. It’s just that I really need to shut things off and being pampered in the Haven is just what the doctor ordered for me. 

You need to just do you….do what your heart (and wallet) are telling you to do! Even if you don’t book in the Haven, you’ll still be getting away from your everyday life and relaxing!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, graphicguy said:

For years...decades...I clawed and sacrificed to climb the income ladder.  I hopefully made a comfortable life for my son, financed his education and put him on solid footing financially and made sure he had his head on straight.  Did the same for his Mother, although we're no longer together.  

Now, the time to pay myself is here.  I promised to never say "boy, glad I did that cheaply" when it came to making time for my family, and now myself.  I am lucky that I can afford to do this cruising passion.  Become pretty good at it, too (LOL!).

That said, I love to find a bargain.  If I find a Carnival Cruise at $50/pp/pd, I'd book that in a heart beat, even though Carnival does not top my cruising list.  BTW, I have found a Carnival Cruise in that price range.

I also love to find a cruise that's all about the lux part of cruising.

There is a limit of what I'll book for a cheap cruise, and for a lux cruise.  But, at the end of the day, I'd rather say a cruise was a great one vs that cruise was a cheap one, I'll take "great" every time.

@KKB...being responsible for parents is a tough gig.  I commend you.  Do what makes you happy.  You'll not be able to affect anything one way or the other while you're cruising.  You can worry about it.  But, you won't change anything by worrying.

Just reading your posts it's easy to see how much you care.

“Time to pay myself” - thank you! Those are the best words I have heard in a long time! That expression is truly t-shirt worthy.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, KKB said:

Thus why I asked the question. I have never sailed solo nor Haven. I'd love to try Haven.  But I'm wondering as a solo would I take advantage of the Haven as much. Meaning--if I do, would that be alienating? If I want to be social, would I spend much time in Haven? Again. Just getting POV's from others.

I would be more inclined to do the Haven as a solo, than I would as a couple. I think it would be easier to meet people in a more intimate environment. I took the "is it worth it" question as a financial one. To me, even though I think the Haven is okay, it would depend on the actual numbers. If my fare as a solo was $1,000 for a 7 night cruise, would I pay $4,000 or more for the Haven? No, I don't think the Haven is worth $400+ more per day. As I said before, I'd rather spend that money on Silversea.

If I was paying $3,000 as a solo and the Haven was $4,500.....  okay maybe.

But if the question is, would the Haven be alienating, I think the answer is no.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, NayRN said:

First, I am sorry for all your losses and my heart goes out to you. I was the prime caregiver for my father who lost his battle with cancer in 2015 and now, the caregiver for my 92 year old mother….

For what it’s worth and having sailed in the Haven solo, I just say do it! For me, between working full-time (40+ hours/week due to nursing shortages) and then coming home to my mom who, while very healthy, needs to be driven to doctor appointments, grocery shopping, heck, just getting out of the house to “blow the stink off” as she says as well as  knowing that I only get one week a year to vacation on my own (I have to fly my sister in from out of state to stay with her while I’m gone), the Haven will truly be my haven and I know I deserve it!

Sure it’s not for everyone - but I love the peace and quiet, the never having to look for a lounge chair, having a restaurant and bar within steps of my suite….ahhhhhhhh! If I want to experience crowds and noise - I just walk outside of the Haven. It’s just that I really need to shut things off and being pampered in the Haven is just what the doctor ordered for me. 

You need to just do you….do what your heart (and wallet) are telling you to do! Even if you don’t book in the Haven, you’ll still be getting away from your everyday life and relaxing!

OOOH, boy.

That is EXACTLY what I am doing for Dad...amazing how much care is still involved when he lives in assisted living.

I had decided I am FINE w/o Haven.

I probably am.

But perhaps I should make those bids.

Who knows?

Maybe they won't be accepted & that is that.

But maybe they will...and maybe I'll need it...

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

kkb WOW! do you sound confused!

here's my final piece of advice. If you're so conflicted, DO NOT book the haven. book a club balcony suite. it's roomy, comfortable, and really, more than enough for a solo traveler.

if it's just you, you probably wont need or really utilize the services of the butler or concierge.

Save your money for when you can sail with a significant other, then splurge for the haven complex.

whichever cabin you end up choosing, BON VOYAGE!

• Like 3

16 hours ago, KKB said:

OOOH, boy.

That is EXACTLY what I am doing for Dad...amazing how much care is still involved when he lives in assisted living.

I had decided I am FINE w/o Haven.

I probably am.

But perhaps I should make those bids.

Who knows?

Maybe they won't be accepted & that is that.

But maybe they will...and maybe I'll need it...

Yes, you will be fine without the Haven - probably better than fine! Just taking the time for YOU is what’s important!

• Like 4

16 hours ago, complawyer said:

. book a club balcony suite. it's roomy, comfortable, and really, more than enough for a solo traveler.

Just curious your thinking. Why would a solo need a club balcony suite? Last I checked, the only difference in size is the bathroom. Are there other perks I'm missing?

bermudabound2014.

the initial question posed was whether or not to consider a haven for a solo. my original response was if he can afford it, go for it,

he seemed rather confused in a later post so i just suggested he skip the haven altogether and get a club balcony.

you are correct that a balcony (not club) is more than enough for a solo traveler, but with that line of thinking, so is an ocean view or even an indoor. in this case, he was looking for something more upscale

• Like 2

On 6/10/2022 at 1:18 PM, BermudaBound2014 said:

Just curious your thinking. Why would a solo need a club balcony suite? Last I checked, the only difference in size is the bathroom. Are there other perks I'm missing?

I am not BermudaBound, but I don't think the additional "perks" of the Club Balcony Suite justify not just getting a Balcony Suite.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, complawyer said:

you are correct that a balcony (not club) is more than enough for a solo traveler, but with that line of thinking, so is an ocean view or even an indoor. in this case, he was looking for something more upscale

Thanks for replying. I think a club balcony is slightly different than bumping all the way down to an ocean view or interior. For a balcony cabin, you can bump down from club balcony to regular balcony without losing the balcony and I've never understood why people like the club balconies.

As a solo traveler, a balcony is non-negotiable for me. I made the mistake once of booking in the studio and never again. I need a balcony more when I'm solo then when I'm with DH. 

50 minutes ago, scottca075 said:

I am not BermudaBound, but I don't think the additional "perks" of the Club Balcony Suite justify not just getting a Balcony Suite.

All me to share.  First, if I was not on a budget, which because retirement I am; I would just pay what it costs to stay in the Haven.  Second, I was actually a solo traveler a few months ago and bid on the Haven but missed. That story will be my not post on this blog.  Third, as a solo, I was on the Joy.  I booked a Club Balcony with the "Free At Sea" promotion.  I also used my American Express Platinum card to get OBC and a meal at the French Specialty Restaurant.  The fare before taxes was $800.00.  The balcony was slightly less.  Finally, I realized two things for me on solo traveling. The NCL Joy did not have a Studio section so sometimes, they allowed solo's to simply pay a single fare for Club Suites and some others.  Second, the Haven Bid upgrade was times two.  

Back on the original question.  If I had the means, I would always and I mean always be in the Haven.  I would also do luxury cruising in Europe.  If we all research fares, you will some sometimes Luxury brands give a fare that is close to single fares for solo's.  It all depends on the experience you want to have on your cruise and everyone is different. 

Cruise well.