Early Disembarkation

crzrr

We have booked Onward for January 2023 that ends with an overnight in Lima, Peru.  We can get a flight that departs at 2:30am on the last day which would mean leaving the ship the night before disembarkation.  I know that you would have to let guest relations know so that you can settle up if necessary.  Has anyone done this?  We have been to Lima before and have no interest in spending another full day there.  Thanks!

Sue

4 minutes ago, crzrr said:

We have booked Onward for January 2023 that ends with an overnight in Lima, Peru.  We can get a flight that departs at 2:30am on the last day which would mean leaving the ship the night before disembarkation.  I know that you would have to let guest relations know so that you can settle up if necessary.  Has anyone done this?  We have been to Lima before and have no interest in spending another full day there.  Thanks!

Sue

Check direct with Azamara now. Don’t rely on what people tell you here. South American countries are very difficult re immigration customs  etc and so better to clear it now with Azamara shoreside rather than risk heresay or arrangements once onboard 

• Like 2

On 6/2/2022 at 7:55 PM, uktog said:

Check direct with Azamara now. Don’t rely on what people tell you here. South American countries are very difficult re immigration customs  etc and so better to clear it now with Azamara shoreside rather than risk heresay or arrangements once onboard 

Very good advise. You can't just leave the ship as disembarkation involves customs clearance which is likely going to be different to strolling off the ship onto an excursion. Azamara need to have the early departure on their manifest for the authorities.

Something to contact Azamara direct for, though I suspect they should be able to accommodate IMHO.

• Like 1

We did an after midnight flight early departure from Pursuit in Lima once.  We worked with the Concierge and she arranged a private transfer (don't get in cabs late at night in South America).  Walked off the ship with luggage to the waiting van.  This was 4 years ago, pre-covid, so things may be different in your case.

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/2/2022 at 2:48 PM, crzrr said:

Sue

Since a most flights to the US leave early morning or very late evening in order to be during working hours at your arriving port many cruises have an overnight at the disembarkation port.  So, it isn’t unusual, but they still need to know.   We have that scenario in CapeTown Africa, at least one overnight in port.  

• 5 months later...
On 6/2/2022 at 11:48 AM, crzrr said:

Sue

Sue, 

Did you receive permission from Azamara? I got a real quip of a "you have to arrange onboard". Now with the situation in Peru, could it be different? 

1 hour ago, Sandora52 said:

Sue, 

Did you receive permission from Azamara? I got a real quip of a "you have to arrange onboard". Now with the situation in Peru, could it be different? 

I did.  I connected with a friend on the ship who contacted the Azamara port agent in Lima.  They suggested that I get a different departure since they could not confirm that there would be anyone from Peruvian immigration or security to allow us to leave.  We decided to book an early afternoon flight.  Just seemed easier to be sure.

Since we are there overnight and can come and go as we please during that time, it doesn't really make sense.  And you are right, the current situation could change lots of things.  I

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, crzrr said:

I did.  I connected with a friend on the ship who contacted the Azamara port agent in Lima.  They suggested that I get a different departure since they could not confirm that there would be anyone from Peruvian immigration or security to allow us to leave.  We decided to book an early afternoon flight.  Just seemed easier to be sure.

Since we are there overnight and can come and go as we please during that time, it doesn't really make sense.  And you are right, the current situation could change lots of things.  I

It’s an anomaly in many countries it relates to customs and formally documenting your final offload from the manifest. In some countries it’s no obvious issue as agents are always available at the port. In others the cruise lines have to formally book “time slots” with them. My guess is they are possibly charged for these luggage check slots so keep them to departure day only. 

Makes sense. Disembark with the majority and work your times round that. Hope you have a great cruise 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, uktog said:

It’s an anomaly in many countries it relates to customs and formally documenting your final offload from the manifest. In some countries it’s no obvious issue as agents are always available at the port. In others the cruise lines have to formally book “time slots” with them. My guess is they are possibly charged for these luggage check slots so keep them to departure day only. 

Makes sense. Disembark with the majority and work your times round that. Hope you have a great cruise 

Depending on your final destination it can be difficult to find flights, say to Miami that leave at a reasonable time of day!  The arrival time has to be in immigration windows too.  From our Galapagos extend trip we ended up leaving quite early.  One couple opted for the night before but I believe they missed a small amount of the final tour.  Yes, that part of the cruise/tour was over land but out exports had coordinate some really early times!  We had a couple of Brits that might have had the only decent times! 

As an aside, we came back to NJ about 18 hours early due to a large storm coming in.  We were not allowed to leave until the standard time which frustrated some because they really didn’t want drive/fly in bad weather.  Luckily the storm was still off a ways and disembarkation went smoothly. 

Edited by Benthayer Gonbak

One issue is that it can be really difficult to organise and be certain it will work. Our recent cruise ended in Dubai and BA moved our flight to be really early in the morning, which meant leaving the ship before the formal disembarkation time. We emailed beforehand and we’re told it should be OK, but to let customer relations know once we were onboard. We did so and were told it might or might not be possible - they would let us know a couple of days before the end of the cruise. In the end it was OK. We had to take our luggage off ourselves. What was really strange - we didn’t see any port officials - no immigration, no customs etc. Ship’s porters took our luggage from us at the top of the gangway & wheeled it straight through the terminal to the taxi rank with us following.

• Like 1

We're in a similar boat (pun intended 😀). Our trip in June/July ends with an overnight in Istanbul, but most of the reasonably-priced (well, less usuriously-priced) flights leave IST between 8-9AM, which would, I assume, necessitate disembarking around ~4-5AM. For example, for the 4 of us it would cost us $2k more to take the Turkish Airways 1:15PM departure as opposed to the one at 8:25AM.

The problem with "let customer relations know once you're onboard" is by that time it's far too late to change flights if customer relations tells you it won't work.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/17/2022 at 2:36 PM, Grandma Cruising said:

One issue is that it can be really difficult to organise and be certain it will work. Our recent cruise ended in Dubai and BA moved our flight to be really early in the morning, which meant leaving the ship before the formal disembarkation time. We emailed beforehand and we’re told it should be OK, but to let customer relations know once we were onboard. We did so and were told it might or might not be possible - they would let us know a couple of days before the end of the cruise. In the end it was OK. We had to take our luggage off ourselves. What was really strange - we didn’t see any port officials - no immigration, no customs etc. Ship’s porters took our luggage from us at the top of the gangway & wheeled it straight through the terminal to the taxi rank with us following.

....and we made it!!

Merry Christmas and a Happy new Year to you both.

• Like 1