Switched cabins on us without notification

Denni9

Has anyone else had this issue with NCL?  When we arrived at the terminal to check in, the agent seemed quite confused because all our paperwork showed one cabin number but their system showed someone else in that cabin.  Told me we had to take it up with Guest Services and they were no help.  Although our new cabin was in the same category it wasn't anything similar to what we had booked.  Do we have any recourse?

1 hour ago, Denni9 said:

Has anyone else had this issue with NCL?  When we arrived at the terminal to check in, the agent seemed quite confused because all our paperwork showed one cabin number but their system showed someone else in that cabin.  Told me we had to take it up with Guest Services and they were no help.  Although our new cabin was in the same category it wasn't anything similar to what we had booked.  Do we have any recourse?

Same category, so what recourse would you expect?  Good idea to think about it if/before you contact guest services 

I experienced this on the Bliss in February.  I booked 12832/MB.  When I arrived I was informed my cabin had been "reassigned".  I was ready for disappointment and "missing bags", however I was given a similar cabin 10838/MB and my bags were at the door.  Interesting because when I looked up and down the hallway - there was only 1 other cabin with bags.  Ship was not full so not sure of the reasoning.  I did not inquire as my two biggest potential issues a) cabin placement and b) missing luggage turned out to be non issues and I was moving on to the Veuve...

• Like 7

You probably would not have any recourse but I would not like that either

Some of us choose our staterooms for a reason. As anyone who has cruised knows, the same category of a stateroom means nothing; very often not similar at all.

Good customer service service would have at least notified or asked you, WTH?

Why were you moved and not the other people?

I would contact complaints after I got off the ship, since GS was no help.

The hotel manager would be someone you may want to ask while on the ship.

It would be intersting to see what they say.

If no one asks about these types of bad customer service, they think it is OK.

JMO. 

Hope you have/had a fun cruise!

Safe sailing.

Edited by Cruisercl
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

It means that the passenger in that cabin on the previous cruise tested positive for Covid and they're waiting for the guys in hazmat suits to totally sterilize the cabin.

(yes, I just made that up)

That was my first thought and the manager at GS tried to pass it off that there MAY have been mechanical issues with the room, but there was already other passengers booked in that room so neither of those excuses worked.

37 minutes ago, Cruisercl said:

You probably would not have any recourse but I would not like that either

Some of us choose our staterooms for a reason. As anyone who has cruised knows, the same category of a stateroom means nothing; very often not similar at all.

Good customer service service would have at least notified or asked you, WTH?

Why were you moved and not the other people?

I would contact complaints after I got off the ship, since GS was no help.

The hotel manager would be someone you may want to ask while on the ship.

It would be intersting to see what they say.

If no one asks about these types of bad customer service, they think it is OK.

JMO. 

Hope you have/had a fun cruise!

Safe sailing.

Exactly!  It may have been the same category but it was not the same.  We specifically booked deck 15 on the starboard side near but not next to stairs/elevators.  We were put on deck 12 on the port side. The cruise itself was good but spending our first hours on the ship trying to get answers and hunting down luggage was not fun.

• Like 1

We are 8 weeks out from sailing on the Epic, we booked two cabins close to each other. I was on 'my ncl' over a week ago and noticed the cabin number was different so checked our other booking/cabin. They moved us to two different decks, one forward and one aft. I couldn't leave our cabins as they were so I had to pay to 'upgrade' one cabin so we could be close. The original cabin booked had an angled balcony so personally I feel I've downgraded.

I still haven't got an explanation and I am waiting for my PCC to get back to me to see if anything can be done. 

OP, There are many reasons that your cabin may have been changed without notification.

The cabin you booked may have had features that your party did not need; i.e.; room for a third/fourth passenger, connecting to cabin next door, or disability accessible are some examples. When someone who did need a feature in the cabin booked, you were moved.

If that is the case, check a deck plan in the future before booking and avoid cabins that may lead to a cabin change.

As an experience cruiser, I don't see the big difference between your original cabin location and the new one. The ocean looks the same on both sides of the ship and, unless you were moved greatly fore or aft, you probably were in the dame general area of the ship.

During my forty six years of cruising, I have been moved several times without prior notification.

My last cruise in February 2022, we arrived at the pier to find our preferred low deck, amidships interior cabin had been taken to use for Covid quarantine. We were moved to a forward balcony on a high deck. That was not an upgrade in our opinion, but cabin moves do happen.

This was my experience before in 2019, Norwegian Dawn in New York (but I guess it does not matter which ship or port).

I booked the IX inside guarantee, and the cabin number was assigned just one day before embarkation. When I was at the pier, the check-in staff was confused as they could not find my key card. In their record, that cabin number was shown with another passenger's name, but not mine.

After around 15-20 minutes of checking, they finally managed to print the key card for me. I was able to keep the same cabin number.

But the problems were not totally solved. All of my reservation records seemed to be lost.

I did not receive the pre-book shore excursion tickets in my cabin and had to ask the excursion desk for help. My prepaid Internet package also cannot be activated, and the staff at Internet center had to fix it for me. Even my onboard credits did not appear in my account but fortunately I printed the booking confirmation for record. My NCL mobile app did not work properly either when I logged in each time, and this annoying problem lasted for the entire voyage. Also the sparkling wine for NCL members was not placed in my cabin although this was a minor issue.

I believe all the troubles were caused by the last-minute guarantee cabin assignment. The other passenger possibly booked this cabin, and was upgraded afterwards. This cabin was then assigned to me but NCL onboard system did not update the record instantly.

Edited by Cruise Wonderland

7 hours ago, Cruise-mom said:

We are 8 weeks out from sailing on the Epic, we booked two cabins close to each other. I was on 'my ncl' over a week ago and noticed the cabin number was different so checked our other booking/cabin. They moved us to two different decks, one forward and one aft. I couldn't leave our cabins as they were so I had to pay to 'upgrade' one cabin so we could be close. The original cabin booked had an angled balcony so personally I feel I've downgraded.

I still haven't got an explanation and I am waiting for my PCC to get back to me to see if anything can be done. 

Sorry this happened to you.  How unfair to make you pay for an upgrade when they are the ones that changed the reservation.  The more I hear, the less likely I am to cruise with NCL again.  I have not heard this happening on other lines without at least notifying you and/or upgrading or compensating you for the inconvenience.  This is horrible customer service.

16 hours ago, LGW59 said:

Same category, so what recourse would you expect?  Good idea to think about it if/before you contact guest services 

If NCL had to move me, I'd hope it would be to the next category up for the inconvenience.  If it were within the same category, maybe a small ($50?) OBC or a premium dining voucher, or whatever would be reasonable.  Just some small acknowlegment that they didn't give you the room they promised and here's how they're going to try to make it better.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Cruise Wonderland said:

This was my experience before in 2019, Norwegian Dawn in New York (but I guess it does not matter which ship or port).

I booked the IX inside guarantee, and the cabin number was assigned just one day before embarkation. When I was at the pier, the check-in staff was confused as they could not find my key card. In their record, that cabin number was shown with another passenger's name, but not mine.

After around 15-20 minutes of checking, they finally managed to print the key card for me. I was able to keep the same cabin number.

But the problems were not totally solved. All of my reservation records seemed to be lost.

I did not receive the pre-book shore excursion tickets in my cabin and had to ask the excursion desk for help. My prepaid Internet package also cannot be activated, and the staff at Internet center had to fix it for me. Even my onboard credits did not appear in my account but fortunately I printed the booking confirmation for record. My NCL mobile app did not work properly either when I logged in each time, and this annoying problem lasted for the entire voyage. Also the sparkling wine for NCL members was not placed in my cabin although this was a minor issue.

I believe all the troubles were caused by the last-minute guarantee cabin assignment. The other passenger possibly booked this cabin, and was upgraded afterwards. This cabin was then assigned to me but NCL onboard system did not update the record instantly.

Yes it's always good to have a printed copy.  I have been "saved" a few times(not related to NCL).  I always have a backup copy.

5 hours ago, firstimer2009 said:

I am one of those nut cases that choose my seats on both airplanes and cruises very carefully.  I would not have been happy with that.  

I am also a nut case when it comes to flight seats and cabin selection.

Certain items such as the side of the ship, were the bed is placed, which direction the bed is facing are all specific items that I have to have just so….or my motion sickness kicks in. Same on a plane with the side of the plane and the seat. 
If my room was changed and I was not notified it would not be a good start to a vacation.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, phillygwm said:

If NCL had to move me, I'd hope it would be to the next category up for the inconvenience.  If it were within the same category, maybe a small ($50?) OBC or a premium dining voucher, or whatever would be reasonable.  Just some small acknowlegment that they didn't give you the room they promised and here's how they're going to try to make it better.

You need to read your cruise contract.

They don't owe you a thing.

20 hours ago, Denni9 said:

Unless I had booked a guarantee cabin, I would not be very happy. You should not have to start your cruise with this unexpected stress. They should have told you ahead of time. Mistakes do occasionally happen, but when they do, it would be nice to have some acknowledgement and some onboard credit given for your inconvenience. 

I know some people say it does not really matter as long as it is the same cabin category, but there are many reasons why people choose certain cabins. Some who have mobility issues may want to be near elevators. Some may want to be on the side of the ship that face certain landmarks while sailing in and out of port. Others may want to be near family or friends etc. I do not like to be too high up or too far forward due to the motion. 

Unfortunately, I do not think you have any recourse. It is probably one of the things we agree to in the terms and conditions.

• Like 1

For one (or even the first revenue/some 2 or 3 night taster) cruise on Escape we booked an forward facing oceanview, one which seemed larger than others (the ..700 series). NCL thought to do us a favour and "upgraded" us to a balcony nearby, unasked and unconfirmed (noticed it online in MyNCL a few weeks out). I was  bummed. But I got to peek into the ..700 around the corner on disembarkation with permission of the steward cleaning it. :classic_laugh:

10 minutes ago, Homosassa said:

That may be true but I have never had this happen on other cruise lines  without some notification and/or acknowledgment of the inconvenience. NCL’s customer service is awful

1 hour ago, pixiedust777 said:

I am also a nut case when it comes to flight seats and cabin selection.

Certain items such as the side of the ship, were the bed is placed, which direction the bed is facing are all specific items that I have to have just so….or my motion sickness kicks in. Same on a plane with the side of the plane and the seat. 
If my room was changed and I was not notified it would not be a good start to a vacation.

Especially with cruises I chose the side of the ship based upon not only location (away from the kids areas) but the best views for the ports.  I also want my bed near the door unlike other people.  I like to sit on the couch having coffee and watch the world go by in the morning while my husband is snoozing.  

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Homosassa said:

Did I say anyone was "owed" anything?  If a company -- ANY company -- causes an inconvenience to a passenger, it's simply good customer service to do what they can to make it right.  It needn't be costly but the gesture counts.  Why leave a potential future customer disgruntled?  

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Denni9 said:

That may be true but I have never had this happen on other cruise lines  without some notification and/or acknowledgment of the inconvenience. NCL’s customer service is awful

We have had it happened several times over the years on Regency, Princess and Royal Caribbean.

We found out at the time of check in - no notification or apology.

4 hours ago, phillygwm said:

1 hour ago, phillygwm said:

Did I say anyone was "owed" anything?    

OBC ,premium dining voucher or something reasonable sounds like being "owed" something.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

It means that the passenger in that cabin on the previous cruise tested positive for Covid and they're waiting for the guys in hazmat suits to totally sterilize the cabin.

(yes, I just made that up)

Actually, it may be true. Read the stories about what happened with the COVID outbreak when the ship arrived in Papeete. The passengers all had to be tested before they disembarked in Tahiti and MANY were found to be COVID positive even though they were asymptomatic. NCL SAID they tried to get hotel rooms but couldn't so they kept them on the ship!  A blue sticker was placed on the door to indicate they were in quarantine. 

Any blue stickers on doors?  Hope not!

We picked a perfect inside cabin deck 5 Getaway

Got moved to rubbish cabin deck 12

Upgrade on paper to an IA.

No notification but I got a hint on another roll call to check as they were shutting deck 5 check booking.

In the end as cruise was running light, min bid on a balcony rather than try to get moved.

Allocation was ok but could have been better, main thing bed configuration not next to window.

Got moved once on ship.

They found us the right configuration and location we wanted, bonus also had angle balcony.

(Think someone else moved out as we got paper work)

Bit of hassle not being able to unpack till moved cabin later on boarding day.

Lack of notification is annoying will be checking cabin regularly on future trips.