Room Key Card Question....

Booman14

10 minutes ago, mowogo said:

Absolutely, and wait until you get to the first generation of ships fully designed with this insight, especially if they use it for crew workflows.  

Great point! Totally titillating for data geeks like me lol. The possibilities are vast. Efficiency is king!

Edited by cruisingguy007

20 minutes ago, cruisingguy007 said:

Great point! Totally titillating for data geeks like me lol. The possibilities are vast. Efficiency is king!

And will be fun to watch the gripes that come from customer unfriendly optimizations.  

1 hour ago, cruisingguy007 said:

Yikes! Complete real time gps tracking? Creepy for sure but kind of intriguing with all the metadata that could be complied. That is an insane amount of data to have at your fingertips

Several times when  we would come close to to an employee with a computer screen they would greet us by name and if we were alone they would ask where the other was.  We thought it was just great memorization.  It took us several days to figure out that we came up on their screen when we walked near.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 6/4/2022 at 11:07 PM, Booman14 said:

Ok- forgive me for being so cynical, but what would keep someone from just stealing your key card? 

I think your picture pops up on the scanner when your card is scanned. 

6 hours ago, reeinaz said:

I think your picture pops up on the scanner when your card is scanned. 

Yes, your picture shows up on their screens.  I noticed it on my cruise in March, and it showed up even at the bars immediately on embarkation.  

Related --  well kinda sorta related because it involves the room key card.  We were surprised that the room safe instructions say not to use the cabin key card.  Says something like it would invalidate the card.  Instead, it says to use a driver's license or credit card.  We wanted to leave all of the stuff like credit cards and DL's in the safe.   Guess that wasn't in the cards ( see what I did there!  😀).     

8 hours ago, ldubs said:

Related --  well kinda sorta related because it involves the room key card.  We were surprised that the room safe instructions say not to use the cabin key card.  Says something like it would invalidate the card.  Instead, it says to use a driver's license or credit card.  We wanted to leave all of the stuff like credit cards and DL's in the safe.   Guess that wasn't in the cards ( see what I did there!  😀).     

I always save a used gift card or even a key card from the hotel to use.  Never had an issue.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, ldubs said:

While the "recommendation" is to maybe use a DL or other credit card, a "card" is not totally neccessary, I keep a couple of used Carnival gift cards in my passport wallet to use, however you can use almost anything if it fits safely into the slot. First time we were on a ship that used this we used a folded up airline boarding pass.....that we had used in the hotel we stayed at prior to the cruise that used a similar system for the room lights.

On 6/5/2022 at 8:56 AM, BasicSailor said:

I never leave anything of value in my luggage if I place it outside my door. Most valuables will be with me even when boarding and debarking the ship.😉.

Exactly this.  Basically, whatever bags you would carry on a plane you carry on the ship.  What ever bags you checked at the airport are checked at the cruise terminal.

35 minutes ago, bar1068 said:

While the "recommendation" is to maybe use a DL or other credit card, a "card" is not totally neccessary, I keep a couple of used Carnival gift cards in my passport wallet to use, however you can use almost anything if it fits safely into the slot. First time we were on a ship that used this we used a folded up airline boarding pass.....that we had used in the hotel we stayed at prior to the cruise that used a similar system for the room lights.

While that is helpful (I learned that trick on my last cruise), they were referring to the safe. Not the lights.  The Dream didn't have the slot for the lights on my last cruise.  MSC did. 

• Like 1

On 6/6/2022 at 6:51 AM, reeinaz said:
On 6/4/2022 at 8:07 PM, Booman14 said:

I think your picture pops up on the scanner when your card is scanned

No, it was not when you were scanned with the Medallion.  It was when you came within a certain distance of the screen.

33 minutes ago, Ellaleah said:

No, it was not when you were scanned with the Medallion.  It was when you came within a certain distance of the screen.

There is no Medallion on Carnival.  You picture does pop up when your S&S card is scanned.  I think you may be getting your boards confused here 🙂 

The medallion is a Carnival Corp concoction.  I was reading way back when that they were only using it on certain Princess ships, and assumption was that if it worked well, they would introduce it to other Carnival brands.  Seems to be popular on the Princess ships that use the technology, but haven't heard nary a thing about expanding it.  That may be a long term investment to re-fit an existing ship.

As for leaving the card key outside your room, I had concerns about that at first.  Even IF there are cameras, even IF you could report a tampered envelope and get a new card, even IF any unauthorized charges could be reversed from your account, even IF etc. etc., etc - I still wouldn't want my cruise to begin with that kind of hassle when it could have been avoided.  But, as time has revealed, I have read about very, very few issues.

41 minutes ago, Schoifmom said:

here is no Medallion on Carnival.  You picture does pop up when your S&S card is scanned.  I think you may be getting your boards confused here 🙂 

I am not at all confused.  I am weep aware that Carnival has no Medallion.  I stated that it was on Princess 1/22.  They know where your Medallion is at all times and your ID shows on their screen when you are near not scanned.

41 minutes ago, Ellaleah said:

I am not at all confused.  I am weep aware that Carnival has no Medallion.  I stated that it was on Princess 1/22.  They know where your Medallion is at all times and your ID shows on their screen when you are near not scanned.

It appeared so, since you quoted people who were talking about your picture coming up when your S&S card was scanned. 😉 

13 hours ago, Schoifmom said:

I always save a used gift card or even a key card from the hotel to use.  Never had an issue.

13 hours ago, bar1068 said:

These are great options. Thanks!