Venice (Tronchetto) transfer to Trieste - Where exactly?

Hello everyone!

We are getting ready to head to Venice for our cruise and although I know I need to be in Tronchetto at 1130am to catch the transit shuttle to Trieste port, I don't know where in Tronchetto I need to be.  Tronchetto is a large chuck of land and I do not want to be on the wrong side and miss the boat!

Does anyone with past experience know where on Tronchetto I need to be to catch the transit shuttlebus?

Thanks in advance!

Capture.JPG

We are on the next sailing and taking a private transfer, however as far as I remember it was at the People Mover.  I remember mentioning is several posts to note that it was the Tronchetto end of the PM and not the Pza Roma end.  

Here is an image I posted at that time showing the location as mentioned by HAL.  Don't know if it has changed. As you can see there are bus parking bays.76048428_Screenshot2022-04-28092927.jpg.9db7665fed07efc98905df127e98af21.jpg

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Kobra_Kommandor said:

Hello everyone!

We are getting ready to head to Venice for our cruise and although I know I need to be in Tronchetto at 1130am to catch the transit shuttle to Trieste port, I don't know where in Tronchetto I need to be.  Tronchetto is a large chuck of land and I do not want to be on the wrong side and miss the boat!

Does anyone with past experience know where on Tronchetto I need to be to catch the transit shuttlebus?

Thanks in advance!

Capture.JPG

Are you sure about the time? We were told 11:00 am for our cruise.

6 hours ago, Heartgrove said:

Are you sure about the time? We were told 11:00 am for our cruise.

@Kobra_KommandorYes, do treble check the meeting time.  All correspondence I have previously received from HAL did state 11.00h for both the airport and Tronchetto transfers.  

We will be in a hotel in Venice a short distance from St. Mark's.   We will be taking a water taxi from Marco Polo airport to the hotel.  But after our 3 day stay, how do we get from our hotel to the entry point of the People Mover, with 3 large pieces of luggage, plus small carry-ons ?   If there's a great distance to walk, it will be impossible for 2 seniors to roll 3 pieces of luggage plus other small items through the walkways of Venice to reach the People Mover.  And is the People Mover large enough to accommodate large luggage along with people ?  I've been to Venice before, but never seen the People Mover, I'm envisioning a moving walkway similar to the same in airports.   Can we take another water taxi from our hotel to the exit point of the People Mover and meet up with the HAL bus there ?

I think a water taxi would take you to the Tronchetto end ok.  Do check with your hotel for info.

See the image in post #2.  Plenty of marine activity in the area and a water taxi will probably be ok for access.

We are in the same boat.  We plan to take a private water taxi from VCE to our hotel, and then another water taxi from our hotel to Tronchetto for the HAL bus transfer.  We will let our hotel call the water taxi company on the morning we leave Venice.  Unless you are in exceptionally good shape, you cannot walk from St Marks to the entrance to the people mover; it is way too far with bridges and suitcases.  You might be able to use the public vaporetto boats, but you would have to figure out the connections.  For the four of us, a private water taxi is not unreasonably expensive, but it does get a bit pricey for just two people.  However, your options are pretty limited.

No question that walking from St Marks (with luggage) is not an option.  However, if you are able to handle your luggage you could use the vaporettos (#1 or #2) to the Piazale Roma stop.  From there you would need to roll your luggage across the open plaza to the People Mover entrance.  The People Mover does have both escaltor and elevator to get you up and down from the platform and the cars can easily handle your luggage.  The challenge is whether you can deal with the luggage.  I am also a senior and just returned from a few weeks in Europe where DW and I did handle our own luggage and it is never fun.  The only good news is that crossing the Piazale Roma is flat.   Coming off a vaporetto a the Piazale Roma you would have a slight up slope until you get to the top of the ramp.  Also beware that the Vaporettos can charge you an extra fee if you have more than one piece of luggage (per person) although whether that is assessed is hit/miss.

A water taxi is certainly the easiest option (assuming that they are still allowed to drop folks at Tronchetto).  Just keep in mind that water taxis are quite expensive (usually over 100 Euros).  As avid cruisers and independent land travelers (in our mid 70s) we are often faced with these darn luggage issues and simply struggle when necessary.  There are no easy solutions other than learning how to pack light (that is against my religion).   These days with all the labor problems one seldom finds any help (at any price) in airports and some cruise ports.

Hank

• Thanks 2

I have personally only used the public vaporetto boats, until our upcoming trip this summer when we will use the water taxis.  They claim to take credit cards.  BTW, I have read that tips are neither required nor expected for the drivers (as tipping in general is very minimal in Italy, and much of Europe for that matter).

Here is their website for the consortium of water taxis in Venice:

https://www.motoscafivenezia.com/en/

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Kobra_Kommandor said:

Can we pay the water taxi with credit card or is it cash only?  

If you are taking a water taxi from Marco Polo airport you can pay via credit card at the airport water taxi counter.  Otherwise,  we are talking about Italy where one should never say yes or no :).  If you are reserving a water taxi at your hotel, you should be able to work it out with the concierge.  I would never expect, with 100% certainty, that a taxi operator/driver would accept a credit card.  My advice would be to always have enough Euros to cover anything you are buying (water taxi, meal, etc) and then go ahead and use your credit card.  If the card is refused, rejected, etc. you are then prepared.  Over the years we have been in too many restaurants/shops that take credit cards only to be told that the "machine is not working."

Hank

• Thanks 1

We are just back from Venice.  We took a water taxi from the train station to a landing near our apartment.  The taxis are regulated and (supposedly) have meters, and we expected the cost to be about 65-70 euros.  Our driver at the landing quoted a flat 70 euros, which we agreed.  We paid by credit card - every vendor in Italy now seems to have cellular-connected portable charge terminals.  It does seem that taxis arranged through a booking service charge close to double this, paying the middle-men and taking tourist profit, so understand what rate is agreed.  The metered rate covers up to five people, with another five for not much surcharge, so if you can share a ride it's cheaper.  The vaporetto is now 7.50 euro per trip.

BTW, almost all charge terminals in Italy now accept tap-cards, which is easier and faster than sliding the card in and waiting for the chip to be read.

BTW2, hardly anyone was wearing masks in the street, but most put them on in shops, and everyone diligently did on public transport and official places (e.g. museums).

BTW3, there are a couple dozen pharmacies around Venice that do rapid-antigen Covid tests for travelers, e.g. those needing one a day ahead to return to the US.  Any pharmacy should be able to point you to the nearest one that tests.  The fee seems to be standardized at 15 euros.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• 1 month later...
14 hours ago, cathyawagner said:

On Oosterdam ship, did they have the shows on big main stage every night? Or have they been cancelled? And how did COVID situation feel on board? Did you feel safe from infection?

I'm on Oosterdam right now and the nightly shows are still there! (Well, it's only day 2 or 3 but so far...) I'm not sure if masks are required in the theater because I haven't gone to a show yet.

If you choose to wear masks, you will be in the minority. But I haven't seen anyone being hassled about it.

If you want to have dinner at your own table, they can generally do that in the MDR but it might be a few minutes more of waiting versus sharing a table... maybe 10 minutes more, if that. (Excluding gala nights or whatever the new name is...) You might want to make reservations for a table for 2 those nights, or every night. You can do this even if you have the flexible dining option (i.e., no fixed dining time).

I've only seen a handful of people wearing masks on the ship. On the excursions,  you're supposed to wear a mask inside the bus but I don't know how well this is enforced. On the bus ride from Venice to Trieste, only about 4-6 people out of approx. 50 wore masks. There wasn't even an announcement to say masks were required or recommended.

I feel safer than at my home but we have a lower vaccination rate. I don't believe you can ever be 100% safe but the ship is not full and there are plenty of places to go where you're able to sit farther away from others.

Just returned from the Oosterdam and only experienced the return from Trieste to Venice (we started in Athens).  The bus dropped off right next to the people mover.  You shouldn't need to take the people mover for a water taxi.  Just walk towards the brick building on the other side of the parking lot.  Note, water taxis were in short supply and I needed to call my hotel to send one - even with help from both HAL and Viking (they had a group in port, and we're more helpful than HAL if I'm being honest).  YMMV.  Official water taxis accept credit cards, but there were some guys offering shared rides for cash only (20 euros pp, IIRC).  We opted for the water taxi, also not knowing exactly where we were going.  The Tronchetto vaporetto was right next to the brick building, for those interested.

I will post a more detailed review, but here are a few tidbits on the Oosterdam.  The crew is working really, really, really hard to make sure everyone has a great trip!  They are so excited to be sailing again!  A few encouraging words will go a long way with everyone.  If you're looking for outstanding entertainment, you're looking in the wrong place.  They piano players in the Billboard and the band in the Rolling Stone were good.  And that's about it.  Food ranged from ok to outstanding.  The ship is in good shape.  Overall, it was a great trip.  NOTE TO FUTURE CRUISERS:  Check your transfers from Trieste on day one.  HAL's technology botched our prearranged transfers and we were forced into an undesirable transfer at the end of our cruise.  Crappy way to end an otherwise great trip.

I will also add masks were pretty few.  I heard of some people being isolated due to COVID, but did not impact me.  Should further add the ship was at about 1200 week 1 and 1050 week 2, so there was plenty of room to have personal space.

Edited by kit125

3 hours ago, terrydtx said:

We board on Aug 21 and are taking a private transport for our group of 4, no way we wanted to be on a crowded bus with 40 strangers before we board. 

I don't know if you have booked any ship tours but they are pushing those to bus capacity. And only a few people are wearing masks. Not sure we will last 50 days without getting Covid.

5 minutes ago, jettaleea said:

I don't know if you have booked any ship tours but they are pushing those to bus capacity. And only a few people are wearing masks. Not sure we will last 50 days without getting Covid.

We will be gone 34 days and we have booked only private or small tours with fewer people. Our first cruise is from Rome on Celebrity, and they are also mostly private tours with just the 4 of us. We are doing a lot of walking tours just so we do not have to be around large groups.

The 6 land days are in first class train compartments to Florence from Rome and to Venice from Florence. Our hope is to make it to the HAL cruise without getting Covid. 

8 hours ago, terrydtx said:

We board on Aug 21 and are taking a private transport for our group of 4, no way we wanted to be on a crowded bus with 40 strangers before we board. 

Can you share the private transport you are using? We have a cruise leaving Trieste on NCL in September and with my 87 year old mother in law along, I really feel a private transfer would meet our needs best but I am having trouble finding recommendations,

2 hours ago, babjlb said:

Can you share the private transport you are using? We have a cruise leaving Trieste on NCL in September and with my 87 year old mother in law along, I really feel a private transfer would meet our needs best but I am having trouble finding recommendations,

2 hours ago, babjlb said:

Sure we are using this company. Our Hotel recommending them,

Daniel's car service T. - Local Tour Guide in Veneto, Venice, Padua, Verona... | GoWithGuide

Edited by terrydtx