Wine package and drinking it outside of dinning room

Djb4CC

In the past we have always bought a wine package for drinking at dinner.  Now that we are got our 4* discount on the packages, I am wondering if we can order one of our bottles from the package outside of the dinning room/Pinnicle? Can we get a bottle from some/most/all bars on board or would we take one for the dinning room “to go” the night before?  Are we going to get any issues if we are walking around the ship with a bottle in hand?

We have a cabana for this next cruise and I can just picture us sailing the days away drinking our wine in our little oasis. Or sitting in billboard in the evening listening to music.

Thanks.

Basically, once you buy the package, the wine is yours to do with as you wish.  You can order a bottle in the MDR or any other bar and take it with you.  You can have a few of bottles of your favourite delivered to any bar of your choice or to your room.  If you deliver them to a bar, you can just leave it there and have a glass or two whenever you wish as they will store it for you.  You become your own cellar master 😉

• Like 3

Never had a problem getting a bottle from the package delivered to Lido, Tamarind, Pinnacle etc, but I have never asked for one at a bar.  Sometimes 'delivery' took a longer than expected, so we 'left' a bottle of two in the Lido, just so as it was to hand.  If we were going to eat at a particular speciality restaurant more than once, then I would arrange a bottle to be there too.

Also, I would have no problem asking for an additional bottle (to go) and if I see you walking around the ship with yours, I promise not to wave my glass in front of you 🤐🍷

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

I once tried to get a bottle from our package while in the Ocean Bar and it was clear they weren't accustomed to doing that.  Evidently the storage area isn't exactly close by, and with only a couple of stewards working they couldn't very well drop down to 1 person taking care of everyone so we ended up ordering by the glass (during happy hour).  I haven't tried since, but it would be nice for it not to be such a problem!

Sue/WDW1972

47 minutes ago, wdw1972 said:

I once tried to get a bottle from our package while in the Ocean Bar and it was clear they weren't accustomed to doing that.  Evidently the storage area isn't exactly close by, and with only a couple of stewards working they couldn't very well drop down to 1 person taking care of everyone so we ended up ordering by the glass (during happy hour).  I haven't tried since, but it would be nice for it not to be such a problem!

Sue/WDW1972

Sue we did the same as @VMax1700 - if we knew we would be somewhere we sent a bottle there in advance.  They will save it for you there or you can take if if you are not sure if you will be back.

You can also take a bottle from the MDR or half of an unfinished bottle anywhere on the ship.  (DH didn’t like to do that so we “sent” the bottles).

Once you find a spot you are going to be at, it’s easy to arrange and makes it much quicker 👍 

• Like 2

So when we were at Billboard Onboard (NA Dec 2021) the bar waiter quickly produced a bottle of red from our package and we enjoyed it while singing Sweet Caroline and Sweet Home Alabama!

Love the wine package and our discount. 

2 hours ago, VMax1700 said:

I believe that the wines are stored down by the MDR

That is correct.

3 hours ago, wdw1972 said:

I once tried to get a bottle from our package while in the Ocean Bar and it was clear they weren't accustomed to doing that.  Evidently the storage area isn't exactly close by,

That is poor service.  You bought the bottle, therefore, it is their responsibility to obtain it for you.  If the Ocean Bar was busy, as it must have been by your description, there will be two bartenders, at least, on duty.  I had the same request as yours.  One of the bartenders went to where my bottle was stored and retrieved it.  

4 hours ago, kazu said:

Sue we did the same as @VMax1700 - if we knew we would be somewhere we sent a bottle there in advance.  They will save it for you there or you can take if if you are not sure if you will be back.

You can also take a bottle from the MDR or half of an unfinished bottle anywhere on the ship.  (DH didn’t like to do that so we “sent” the bottles).

Once you find a spot you are going to be at, it’s easy to arrange and makes it much quicker 👍 

I'll remember that for some day when I'm cruising without the beverage package again.  For me it makes sense to go for the "no perks" fare since I don't care about excursions in the Caribbean anymore, always have a Retreat cabana (with plenty of water and sparkling wine), and can get specialty dining and wine packages at 50% off.  I don't mind buying the internet.  It won't be hard to find a favorite bar - and then have a bottle sent there each evening, or even rotate among a few places.  I only drink white, so taking a bottle with me doesn't work since I want it COLD.  

Thanks!

Sue/WDW1972

10 minutes ago, 510picker said:

The cabana attendants have always been happy to get us a bottle from our package to enjoy in our cabana. They always bring a nice cheese plate to go with it too!

That's good service!  And, the kind of service that I expect on Holland America Line!  

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, 510picker said:

The cabana attendants have always been happy to get us a bottle from our package to enjoy in our cabana. They always bring a nice cheese plate to go with it too!

We've always been happy with the sparkling stuff up there (or a drink - not wine - from the bar).  Last cruise (Nieuw Amsterdam late February) our stewards quickly learned we preferred the cheese plate to the fruit, and had one every day (sometimes fruit too but usually we declined that).  Love the Retreat!

Sue/WDW1972

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1