Uh oh.....hip replacement

It looks like I'll have 8 weeks to recover before our Harmony cruise.  Am I crazy to think that I can actually enjoy the cruise?  We are in a GS and that tub is a bear to negotiate under normal circumstances.  Does Harmony have a public shower I can use if I can't get in and out of the tub?  I've had knee replacement before so I know healing can take a while, but everyone says that hip replacement has a much easier recovery.  My surgeon is of course vague because everyone takes different paths to recovery.  Does anyone have any words of wisdom for me?  This was booked under cruise with confidence so I can easily move the sailing out a few months.  Thanks.  

6 minutes ago, RoperDK said:

It looks like I'll have 8 weeks to recover before our Harmony cruise.  Am I crazy to think that I can actually enjoy the cruise?  We are in a GS and that tub is a bear to negotiate under normal circumstances.  Does Harmony have a public shower I can use if I can't get in and out of the tub?  I've had knee replacement before so I know healing can take a while, but everyone says that hip replacement has a much easier recovery.  My surgeon is of course vague because everyone takes different paths to recovery.  Does anyone have any words of wisdom for me?  This was booked under cruise with confidence so I can easily move the sailing out a few months.  Thanks.  

I've had both of my hips replaced and I was walking normally and upto at least a mile a day after a month. It shouldn't be a problem if all goes normal for you. Hips are a breeze compared to knees.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, fweegy said:

I've had both of my hips replaced and I was walking normally and upto at least a mile a day after a month. It shouldn't be a problem if all goes normal for you. Hips are a breeze compared to knees.

That is encouraging!  What about not bending more than 90 degrees for 6 to 12 weeks?  I can't even imagine getting dressed without help or maneuvering in and out of a variety chairs or booths, much less a lounger.    

1 hour ago, RoperDK said:

One of the guys in our golf group was playing golf 8 weeks after hip replacement.  We did have to help him out of a few of the deeper bunkers.

• Thanks 1

Everyone is different.  I had a hip replacement in mid-September.  We canceled a late November cruise but did fly to Florida in January.

i still need to use the sock puller upper (?) but it’s no big deal.

again everyone’s recovery is different.  No real way to predict but I do wish you well.

• Thanks 1

What a timely thread!  I've been nursing my hip along for about three years now with PT and shots, but it's really killing me.  I'm going to try to get in to see my ortho surgeon in the next few weeks.  If he says it's time to to it, I'm going for it.  Our cruise isn't until OCt. 2nd, but we have planned to go to the beach in August, the week after school starts.  That may be a challenge.  

• Like 1

I agree, everyone has a different recovery story.  I didn’t feel right for a long time.  I had the surgery January 2019, went on a cruise in May and it was a bit of a struggle. However, we went on an August cruise and it was a lot better.  Good luck.

• Thanks 1

Make sure that your surgeon does an anterior approach for the hip replacement.  This approach has less restrictions on it and makes for easier recovery.  I had my hip replaced in 2018 and was back to all normal activities in 4.5 weeks after surgery.  PT is really important too. I am so happy that I did the replacement because I can move so much better now.

• Thanks 1

Yes, i hear the anterior approach is the way to go, although my surgeon says there is now another way to do it that is just as good, but not as expensive (they have to pay more to use the OR with the special table for anterior).  But everyone I know who did anterior had great results, so that's what I'd do.  

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Lane Hog said:

If you're mostly concerned about the tub, consider asking for an accessible room.  These have a flat floor shower and grab rails everywhere in the bathroom.

I checked on an accessible room and none are available.  That would have made me much more comfortable with committing to the cruise.  

3 hours ago, RoperDK said:

That is encouraging!  What about not bending more than 90 degrees for 6 to 12 weeks?  I can't even imagine getting dressed without help or maneuvering in and out of a variety chairs or booths, much less a lounger.    

The 90 degree rule is for posterior approach. Anterior does not have that restriction. I have had both my hips replaced (anterior and robotic arm assisted.) I was driving in 1 week on my left and 2 weeks on my right, got rid of walker and cane within a week. If you can find a surgeon who does the stryker robot assisted, it is supposedly way more precise and your recovery is much faster. I can't say for sure that I wouldn't have recovered as quickly having it done the old fashioned way, but anecdotally when comparing with friends who have had it done, my recovery was much quicker and far less painful than theirs.

• Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, cured said:

The 90 degree rule is for posterior approach. Anterior does not have that restriction. I have had both my hips replaced (anterior and robotic arm assisted.) I was driving in 1 week on my left and 2 weeks on my right, got rid of walker and cane within a week. If you can find a surgeon who does the stryker robot assisted, it is supposedly way more precise and your recovery is much faster. I can't say for sure that I wouldn't have recovered as quickly having it done the old fashioned way, but anecdotally when comparing with friends who have had it done, my recovery was much quicker and far less painful than theirs.

Thanks.  My highly regarded orthopedic that I really like, does the surgery the "old fashioned" way.  I talked to him about the anterior approach and he prefers a hybrid.  I guess it would be a good idea to search for a surgeon that does the anterior approach and compare.  I know it will take time to do this and frankly I'm fed up with the pain.  Better to do the homework, I guess.  Thanks for your input.       

18 minutes ago, RoperDK said:

Thanks.  My highly regarded orthopedic that I really like, does the surgery the "old fashioned" way.  I talked to him about the anterior approach and he prefers a hybrid.  I guess it would be a good idea to search for a surgeon that does the anterior approach and compare.  I know it will take time to do this and frankly I'm fed up with the pain.  Better to do the homework, I guess.  Thanks for your input.       

I was in the same boat. I had researched for a year on who were the best orthos.  I finally settled on one very highly recommended and had my appointment with her.  Then at my initial appointment she said she only did the posterior approach. That would be a big nope for me.

Luckily, a coworker's spouse was an anesthesiologist and recommended a newly minted doc in their hospital. Apparently this new doc was wowing people on what he was doing with hips.  He was one of the few at the time that was using the robotic assisted arm.  I had my appointment with him and thought I was interviewing one of my son's high school friends, he was so new. But boy am I glad I went with the recommendation. There was no question that the 2nd one would be anterior approach with the robot arm assistance. And the 2nd time I was just as pleased. I did it outpatient. so was in at 7:30, home by 3. PT was easy and so was the recovery.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, RoperDK said:

Sundress and flip flops! 🩴🩴

• Thanks 1

As others have said everybody is different. Of course you can never count on someone else’s experience being the same as yours. Five years ago I had the posterior approach and I was still using a walker after two months, so it was a long tedious recovery. Now I have absolutely no problems with the right hip. Last year I had the anterior approach on my other hip and I have to admit it was a much easier recovery however I continue to have pain in my thigh that the doctor tells me is from nerve damage during the surgery.

Not only do you have the bathtub to consider in your cabin but also it may be difficult to get in and out of the lounge chairs around the pool or at the beach.

So just go on your trip knowing you may or may not have limitations and make the best of it. Have a nice trip.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

My late wife had a problem getting in and out of the tub in our GS.  If you ask the ship will supply you with a stool which makes getting in and out of the tub much easier.  If you could upgrade to an Owner's Suite they have a bath tub and separate flat on the floor shower.  

Bill

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, RoperDK said:

Hi @RoperDK, I had Hip replacement surgery about 4 weeks ago on May 4th. When going through all the classes and  the pre-op prep last year, it was recommended I plan on 3 months recovery. Fortunately for me, earlier this year my surgeon trained for the anterior approach and by the time of my surgery had a couple months worth under his belt. My understanding is the anterior approach was developed about 10 years ago, but it is taking awhile for many surgeons to adopt. I was told there are only 2 surgeons at Kaiser Sunset(Los Angeles, CA) that do the anterior approach.

My sister had the posterior approach done 4 years ago, also at Kaiser facility, and she says she is amazed at my quicker recovery. No restrictions on crossing legs or bending. Physical Therapy released me/discharged me from needing further sessions at 3 weeks. Had 2 weeks of In Home PT that was 2x week, then 1 out patient PT during week 3.

Everyone’s recovery will not be the same, but most report much better results with the anterior approach. I am a 62 year old male in average shape and was concerned how long my recovery would be. I feel I am about 90% percent after 4 weeks, so if you have 8 weeks, I think you have a good chance of doing ok, provided you have the anterior approach.

Have a plan B and C and travel insurance, unless you are covered under CWC ?

Discuss with your surgeon your concerns, but as you have said, they are doing posterior approach, time to find another surgeon? Scheduling may be an issue, if you need to find another surgeon, will they be able to fit you in with 8 weeks recovery before your cruise?

Good luck and I hope your surgery is a success without any complications.

• Thanks 1

My mom has had two hip replacements, and she healed very, very well -- but it didn't happen overnight.  It took her weeks.  I'd say get insurance and know the last day you can cancel.  After your surgery, you're going to have an idea of how well you're healing -- I think you'll know by week 2 or 3 how well you're healing.

Physical therapy was tremendously helpful.  Her two tips are: 

- Whatever homework the therapist gives you, do twice as much.  Don't try to do it all at once, but do it once in the morning and once at night. 

- Take Tylenol before the therapist comes over -- you'll be hurting by the end of the sesion.  

• Thanks 1