If I test positive at YVR after Royal Princess cruise, and before flying back to USA with EZAir, who pays for quarintine?

adgtravel

Vancouver hotel for pre/ post Alaska tours used by Princess is Westin Bayshore.

I read some passengers were bussed from ship to an airport hotel near YVR for quarantine.

16 hours ago, adgtravel said:

Thanks for all info!  We are on Medicare which does not cover anything outside USA, so I am considering travel insurance for Canada ( I have Princess ins for ship)

Can you recommend a good travel ins?  Any experience with Allianz Travel Ins?

I definitely considered switching our return to Seattle, but I bought YVR flight with EZAir, and when I called Princess outside the 45 day (no charge to cancel? Or change) agent told me I could not change without a 200-300$ fee!  And of course flights were over double what I originally paid months ago!!  She also said Princess doesn’t offer shuttle to SEA. I asked to be transferred to Customer Relations (?)

since I know the information was not correct, but it was over an hour hold time so I hung up. I will not buy EZAir again!  We plan on taking Covid tests with us!

Booking directly with the airline avoids any change fees.  Sorry you are getting frustrated.  Hang in there.

6 hours ago, dog said:

I read some passengers were bussed from ship to an airport hotel near YVR for quarantine.

Quarantine hotel for Princess in Vancouver is the Sheraton Vancouver Airport Hotel near YVR in Richmond.

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, adgtravel said:

I definitely considered switching our return to Seattle, but I bought YVR flight with EZAir, and when I called Princess outside the 45 day (no charge to cancel? Or change) agent told me I could not change without a 200-300$ fee! 

Was there really a change fee or was the "fee" really the additional cost of the flight from Seattle instead of YVR? You are correct in that there should be no penalty fee for making the change.

3 hours ago, AF-1 said:

Booking directly with the airline avoids any change fees.

Unless this was a first class or otherwise high priced ticket, booking with the airline would mean a giant change fee. Regular coach tickets cannot be changed or cancelled without such a fee except for Southwest airline.

And if the flight from Seattle would have been on a different airline than the YVR flight, the original cost of the cancelled flight might have been 100% lost if booked directly with the airline.

• Like 1

I don’t want to cancel this cruise! When I booked it, Princess was going to test us and would pay if needed to quarantine, I should not have to be concerned about this!  We booked 1st class one way ticket for return from YVR July 9th with EZAir, I called May 23rd to switch to SEA, only to be told Princess doesn’t offer shuttle service (incorrect ) plus she said it was already ticketed so I would pay penalty of 200-300$ pp before she even looked for new flight!  Of course new flight was a lot 

higher price also.  I decided not to change return flight, even though I believe Princess was giving me bad info!  I’m trying to relax, and hope we don’t get Covid!

We are vaccinated and boostered, and will wear masks and enjoy our balcony more then normal!  

2 minutes ago, adgtravel said:

Sorry, I got so excited I forgot to mention it starts this Sunday!!!

I’m so glad I didn’t spend $$$$ changing our flight out of Seattle!

Now I will cancel Covid test at YVR!

Yay!!!  Happy for you. Stay Covid free.

On 6/9/2022 at 10:44 AM, caribill said:

Was there really a change fee or was the "fee" really the additional cost of the flight from Seattle instead of YVR? You are correct in that there should be no penalty fee for making the change.

Unless this was a first class or otherwise high priced ticket, booking with the airline would mean a giant change fee. Regular coach tickets cannot be changed or cancelled without such a fee except for Southwest airline.

And if the flight from Seattle would have been on a different airline than the YVR flight, the original cost of the cancelled flight might have been 100% lost if booked directly with the airline.

I have to disagree.  Delta, American both have no change fees.  I fly Delta exclusively and have made six changes to both international and domestic trips in the past three months.  No change fees involved.  I booked a flight to Miami on American for Jan.  Three days later I changed the dates;  no change fees and no price increase

Edited by AF-1
  • Like 1

On 6/10/2022 at 11:07 AM, adgtravel said:

Hopefully you can now relax a bit and enjoy your trip.  :)

• Like 1

4 hours ago, AF-1 said:

I have to disagree.  Delta, American both have no change fees.  I fly Delta exclusively and have made six changes to both international and domestic trips in the past three months.  No change fees involved.  I booked a flight to Miami on American for Jan.  Three days later I changed the dates;  no change fees and no price increase

But your change was for flying from the same city.

The poster wanted to change their departure city from YVR to Seattle.

Are you saying you could have changed your flight to Miami from originating, let's say, from Cincinnati to one originating from Chicago at no change in price?

12 minutes ago, caribill said:

But your change was for flying from the same city.

The poster wanted to change their departure city from YVR to Seattle.

Are you saying you could have changed your flight to Miami from originating, let's say, from Cincinnati to one originating from Chicago at no change in price?

Got it; I did not pay attention to the actual city the OP was wanting to change. However, I did change cities once and the flight was cheaper from the new city; so that's a good thing.  Sorry I confused the answers

On 6/10/2022 at 8:07 AM, adgtravel said:

But, if you don’t feel well, you will get tested, right? I’m hoping people still do the right thing and don’t knowingly just wander around airports, and get on planes. I’m not sure how the airlines are going to to be able to up the cleaning and disinfecting of the planes, they are pretty short staffed as it is. Take your wipes and hand sanitizer and cross your fingers. 

I hope you have a great cruise. 

6 hours ago, Happiest when cruising said:

But, if you don’t feel well, you will get tested, right? I’m hoping people still do the right thing and don’t knowingly just wander around airports, and get on planes. I’m not sure how the airlines are going to to be able to up the cleaning and disinfecting of the planes, they are pretty short staffed as it is. Take your wipes and hand sanitizer and cross your fingers. 

I hope you have a great cruise. 

I agree people should be responsible no matter where they are flying from/to. But honestly as a US citizen it made no sense that I could fly within the US from Ohio to Anchorage or from Seattle to Ohio last month with no testing, but I could not fly the short hop from Vancouver to Seattle without testing negative. 

5 hours ago, Buckeye10640 said:

I agree people should be responsible no matter where they are flying from/to. But honestly as a US citizen it made no sense that I could fly within the US from Ohio to Anchorage or from Seattle to Ohio last month with no testing, but I could not fly the short hop from Vancouver to Seattle without testing negative. 

Yes, I understand, and hopefully people weren’t flying all around the USA knowingly having Covid, either. 

40 minutes ago, Happiest when cruising said:

Yes, I understand, and hopefully people weren’t flying all around the USA knowingly having Covid, either. 

But they are flying while not knowing they have Covid, either because they have it and are symptomless or because they have it and symptoms have not presented yet,

One can assume on every flight there is at least one person with Covid and will not be wearing a mask.

On 6/12/2022 at 11:19 PM, caribill said:

But they are flying while not knowing they have Covid, either because they have it and are symptomless or because they have it and symptoms have not presented yet,

One can assume on every flight there is at least one person with Covid and will not be wearing a mask.

Just now, Happiest when cruising said:
On 6/12/2022 at 11:19 PM, caribill said:

Nothing can be done about it, if you don’t know it. But… once you know better,  you can do better! 

• 4 weeks later...

We are back from our cruise, 2 weeks on Royal, and really enjoyed it!  We had a few issues with EZAir, (Princess, not the airlines) and probably won’t book EZAir again.  No problems flying on United, no Covid symptoms, didn’t hear any talk about cases on board but I did get off elevator on deck 9 and both doors were closed!!  We always ate at table for 2, or had room service, never went to buffet, ate at Crown Grill several times, Only went to one production show, spent a lot of time on our balcony!

The weather was perfect, except Ketchikan was cool and cloudy.  Will write a more detailed review later.