How does OBC split between cabin mates work for pre-cruise purchases?

momin05

So I know if cabin mates have separate on-board accounts, the OBC assigned to that cabin will be split evenly among the cabin mates. But what about for pre-cruise purchases?  There is a caution online that says: “You have X balance in combined OBC available for your stateroom.  Confirm with all OBC holders before applying credits pre-cruise to avoid cancellations on board.”  

Say there is $300 OBC to start and one person purchases $90 in pre-cruise purchases and the other purchases $10. Once on board, will they split the remaining $200 so that each person has $100?  Or will one person have $60 and the other have $140?  Does anyone have any first hand experience?

I am also curious what it means by cancellations on board.  I am not sure how a pre-cruise purchase could get canceled once on board. 

Thanks all!  After 2 years and 10 months since original booking, looks like this crowd of 22 is sailing on Saturday (with good fortune on Covid tests tomorrow!)

I cannot answer your question about how OBC is divided up.  However, regarding the pre-cruise purchased excursion purchased with OBC, I read this as saying that if someone goes to guest services and says, "I didn't authorize my OBC being used to purchase that excursion" then they will cancel the excursion.  

Thank you. I actually called my PVP and asked him. He said the OBC is split from the outset and each person’s pre-cruise purchases would be deducted from their half. But I am not sure he really knew the answer.

Interestingly, he said they cannot see if someone has used their OBC pre-cruise. He said he has applied OBC to an upgrade for people before, not knowing the OBC had already been used. That is why the caution about potential cancellations is on the website. 

1 hour ago, momin05 said:

Thank you. I actually called my PVP and asked him. He said the OBC is split from the outset and each person’s pre-cruise purchases would be deducted from their half. But I am not sure he really knew the answer.

Interestingly, he said they cannot see if someone has used their OBC pre-cruise. He said he has applied OBC to an upgrade for people before, not knowing the OBC had already been used. That is why the caution about potential cancellations is on the website. 

I saw in my Cruise Manager that my OBC was used up for one cruise (which I was the one doing that) and not used up in my other cruises.  I wonder why the PVP couldn't see that?

I have the $600 OBC from a cancelled cruise that was put on a new cruise.  Does that mean that the whole $600 was put on my name or was divided $300 each between myself and my spouse?  We both have our own VIFP numbers.

11 minutes ago, EllieinNJ said:

I have the $600 OBC from a cancelled cruise that was put on a new cruise.  Does that mean that the whole $600 was put on my name or was divided $300 each between myself and my spouse?  We both have our own VIFP numbers.

It would have been divided between the guests on the original cruise that was cancelled on the rebooked cruise

Since I'm travelling with friends, we just communicate with each other about what was purchases using the OBC.  Once on board we go to Customer Service and have them reassign any OBC that needs to be moved from one person to others.

On 6/8/2022 at 10:42 PM, ninjacat123 said:

I saw in my Cruise Manager that my OBC was used up for one cruise (which I was the one doing that) and not used up in my other cruises.  I wonder why the PVP couldn't see that?

I don’t know, it is pretty crazy. He started telling me about all this OBC people in my booking have and I said no, they used it on Cheers.  That is when he said he can’t see that. He said he has been pushing ever since they have started allowing OBC to be used for pre-cruise purchases to allow the PVPs to see it, but so far they haven’t done it. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, momin05 said:

I don’t know, it is pretty crazy. He started telling me about all this OBC people in my booking have and I said no, they used it on Cheers.  That is when he said he can’t see that. He said he has been pushing ever since they have started allowing OBC to be used for pre-cruise purchases to allow the PVPs to see it, but so far they haven’t done it. 

Plus I'm the one who pays for everyone cruising with me (on my credit card) so I think I should be able to decide where the OBC is spent.  Which is all on Carnival stuff.  Hmmmm, now I need more coffee🙃

Normally I travel with my hubby and kiddo, so it doesn't really matter how our OBC is split as it's all coming out of the same account. However, my upcoming cruise is a girls cruise which was cancelled from October, 2020. My BFF and I are sharing a cabin and have $300 in OBC to share between us. I have everything tracked in a spreadsheet so we know who has paid what, what was owed what (between Future Cruise Credit and OBC) cause it was a lot! I used part of my portion of the OBC to purchase the premium Wi-Fi package before pricing went up in May. We will just figure it out in the end and make sure it all comes out close to even! 

• Like 1