Recent Rome cruisers

Susanb10567

Trying to book my transfers for my September 3rd cruise on the Edge. What time have people been able to board? Trying to figure out what time we should be picked up at our hotel in Rome .  We are staying in a sky suite. Not sure if that makes a difference. 

Its a good hour journey from Rome to Civitavecchia, we got picked up around 11am, and were on board for 12:30, after all  our covid checks etc. We always use Romecabs, they are excellent. 

Edited by ladylemondrop
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, ladylemondrop said:

Its a good hour journey from Rome to Civitavecchia, we got picked up around 11am, and were on board for 12:30, after all  our covid checks etc. We always use Romecabs, they are excellent. 

Thanks…I was planning on using them…glad you had a good experience 

We sailed from Rome last month. We had an 11:30 boarding time. We were picked up by sharedshuttle.it at 10:30 and were on board shortly after 11:30. They were fabulous to work with!

Edited by Purplsmurf

Last time we were in Rome, Stefano's Rome Cabs picked us up at 9:30.  It took an hour and 15 minutes from our hotel, but we were onboard before 11:00 AM.  I believe that there is a new terminal, so the entire process should be much better.  I do not return until October, so it will be interesting to go through the new process.  Enjoy your cruise!

Edited by Lastdance

Hi Susan- we are traveling with you on the 3rd! I am still looking for a hotel in Rome and transportation to the port.  Thanks for asking here... I am following along.  

Liz

42 minutes ago, SraLiz said:

Hi Susan- we are traveling with you on the 3rd! I am still looking for a hotel in Rome and transportation to the port.  Thanks for asking here... I am following along.  

Liz

There is a lot of information about Rome, and some very informed people, on the Port of Call board.

• Like 1

We just got back from May Edge sailing from Rome.

We flew into Rome on the same day as cruise departed. We landed at 11:30 and we’re in Bob’s Limo by noon. However, we did this cruise with only carry on luggage, so I have no idea how much time that ads. 

We got to ship around 1 pm and literally walked right on. Maybe 10 minutes max? We were appreciative of this. It was super easy. 

When we were departing ship. There were people waiting to get on. Their wait was self imposed, since they were so early. My advice is to not come early and allow time for the early birds to get on board. If you time this right, you too will just casually stroll onto ship!

Here is why you should take my hotel advice with a grain of salt. We only spent 1 night. It’s the only hotel in Rome we ever stayed, so we have nothing to compare it to. BUT…….. It was perfect! 1 block to train terminal. Walking distance to all the tour starting points. Convenience store next door. Refrigerator in room, along with a coffee maker. Our own personal balcony with table and chairs. Ultra modern room. King Bed. Huge and I mean HUGE shower and bathroom. But here’s its best feature…….. a 9th floor roof top bar and restaurant that overlooks Rome. We spent hours enjoying the view! It’s called the Independent Hotel. Approx $200 per night.

We did buy so many souvenirs while on this trip, that we ended up having to check a bag to go home. We regretted this. We waited almost 2 hours at the baggage claim to retrieve it. Even with just carry ons…….. we still felt like we over packed. Both of us still had a myriad of items we did not wear. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 6/9/2022 at 12:57 AM, Susanb10567 said:

Trying to book my transfers for my September 3rd cruise on the Edge. What time have people been able to board? Trying to figure out what time we should be picked up at our hotel in Rome .  We are staying in a sky suite. Not sure if that makes a difference. 

Same. For some reason nothing is displayed in the cruise planner yet and I booked this cruise on board without knowing how far the port is from the airport/city. I was a bit shocked when I saw that a transfer costs ~ 100-150 Euro one way. 😵

I'd estimate we can get on around noon though Zenith and Suite (Retreat) Guests might be able to enjoy anytime boarding!?

We cruised from Civitavecchia in May. We prefer arriving at our city of embarkation at least one day prior to sailing. Upon arrival into Rome, we had pre-arranged transportation to Civitavecchia. Makes for an easy transition to the ship on cruise day. Our boarding time was between 11:30 - 12:00. We were on the ship at 11:30. The cruise terminal is modern, and the staff is efficient. 

Plan on one hour from Rome to Civitavecchia, just to be safe and on schedule for your boarding time. We had no issues to or from the port city. Our drivers each way did not spare the speed, 90mph plus which is not what we are used to. We always prefer arriving earlier rather than later to our appointed time. However, at our age, that "speed rush" is not as exciting as it used to be.      

We are staying a few nights in Civitavecchia. Love Roma, but decided to enjoy a small Italian town. we always arrive at least one day prior, Especially for Euro cruises. Yes, flying in the day of cruise saves money but such increased risk to a not-inexpensive vacation. 

And I picture those flying to Roma, London, Amsterdam, etc the day of their departure getting on line days prior checking weather, cancellations, etc. Stress. 

For me, not worth the unneeded increase in risk and stress. Anyway, we use the prior time as a chance to enjoy the departure areas. Fly into Roma and immediately leave? Miss wandering Amsterdam for a few days??? Staying in Southampton or nearby such as Winchester or exploring Cornwall. 

To each our own. Realize budget restrictions and limited vacation days…..love being a retired geezer!

den

• Like 1