Infinite verandas - PROs and CONs

ISABELLA

7 hours ago, Hlitner said:

We think the entire IB is a true crock (for passengers) and a wonderful marketing tool for X.  For decades, River boats have had what is called a "French Balcony" which exists on some river boats because of restrictions on the width of the boat (in order to fit through canals and locks).  Like an Infinite Balcony, a French Balcony is not actually a balcony!  At best it is a weird hybrid balcony.   When we are in balcony cabins (or suites with balconies) on cruise ships, one of us can be out on the balcony with the doors closed.   In the morning I will often quietly sit on our balcony having coffee and reading while DW continues to sleep :).  At night there are times she will want to go to bed and I will go out on the balcony with some cognac and my Kindle and relax without disturbing DW.  Meanwhile, she is inside with the usual A/C and comfort.    While some might say infinite balconies are the best of both worlds I think of them as the worst of both worlds.  They are neither a true balcony or a true larger cabin.  On X, we would simply book a real balcony (which generally means a suite) or just go on one of the Solstice Class vessels (we really like the design of these ships) where they have plenty of real balcony cabins.

Hank

We are with you 200% - That's 100% each.

• Like 3

On 6/13/2022 at 4:43 AM, marieps said:

The low chairs and tiny table of which some folks speak are not really about the IV, more about Kelly Hoppen.  Nuff said.

Whoever was responsible the chairs are not designed for comfortable lounging and impossible for passengers with back and mobility issues.

• Like 1

On 6/12/2022 at 11:43 PM, marieps said:

The low chairs and tiny table of which some folks speak are not really about the IV, more about Kelly Hoppen.  Nuff said.

Not really, the chairs and table are a direct result of the IV.  After they designed the cabin and located the interior doors, the resulting IV space was extremely small and that doll house furniture was the only furniture that would fit. 

• Like 2

This is one of two separate ongoing threads about IV cabins.  Both with the same posters saying the same things.  The other starts "Surely it is just a window".  Maybe they should be merged?  I understand there are new members out there seeking info, but we have had thousands of posts on IV cabins here on CC for the past several years since EDGE was launched (or before).  Yes I guess I can just ignore the topic.  Thank You.

Edit:  Actually a third thread now on IV's called "View from outside".

Edited by TeeRick
  • Thanks 2

18 hours ago, TeeRick said:

This is one of two separate ongoing threads about IV cabins.  Both with the same posters saying the same things.  The other starts "Surely it is just a window".  Maybe they should be merged?  I understand there are new members out there seeking info, but we have had thousands of posts on IV cabins here on CC for the past several years since EDGE was launched (or before).  Yes I guess I can just ignore the topic.  Thank You.

Edit:  Actually a third thread now on IV's called "View from outside".

Same thing applies to numerous subjects. Different people ask at different times and in different ways which results in other posters being helpful by answering. 

• Like 1

I don't like that they are not a balcony.  You sit in a skinny box.  Mostly CONs.

However whether you like it or not depends upon if you spend a great deal of time out on the balcony.  We do spend a great deal of time on the balcony.  We spend little time in the cabin except for getting around to go someplace.  It is a very poor fit for us.

However if you rarely use the balcony and instead would like an extension of your room this set up may be for you.

But please don't call it a balcony.  It is just an open/close window.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, NMTraveller said:

However if you rarely use the balcony and instead would like an extension of your room this set up may be for you.

Whatever you want to call it, this is the main reason I think some prefer the IV.  

• Like 3

21 hours ago, NMTraveller said:

I don't like that they are not a balcony.  You sit in a skinny box.  Mostly CONs.

However whether you like it or not depends upon if you spend a great deal of time out on the balcony.  We do spend a great deal of time on the balcony.  We spend little time in the cabin except for getting around to go someplace.  It is a very poor fit for us.

But please don't call it a balcony.  It is just an open/close window.

"Please don't call it a balcony".  why does it bother you so much what anyone calls it, because at the end of the day it matters not one single whit what anyone calls it.  No response needed, it is a redundant question to your incessant opining on the subject.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, LGW59 said:

"Please don't call it a balcony".  why does it bother you so much what anyone calls it, because at the end of the day it matters not one single whit what anyone calls it.  No response needed, it is a redundant question to your incessant opining on the subject.

Because it is really not a balcony at all.  It is an open/close window.  It is just false advertising and confusing to everyone involved.  Perhaps some of the disappointment for those who book the open/close window could be avoided by a proper description and name.

Everyone has their idea of what a balcony is.  And this is not it.

Perhaps if they named/described it properly we would not have to hear about the complaints about this cabin class while on board.

Edited by NMTraveller
  • Like 4

36 minutes ago, NMTraveller said:

Because it is really not a balcony at all.  It is an open/close window.  It is just false advertising and confusing to everyone involved.  Perhaps some of the disappointment for those who book the open/close window could be avoided by a proper description and name.

Perhaps if they named/described it properly we would not have to hear about the complaints about this cabin class while on board.

They never called it or named it a balcony.  It is named veranda.

• Thanks 3

16 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

They never called it or named it a balcony.  It is named veranda.

It does not meet that definition either.

Real balconies can be named verandas.  The gigantic balconies on the HAL Neptune suites are called verandas.  No similiarity at all to the open/close window.

Edited by NMTraveller
  • Like 1

51 minutes ago, NMTraveller said:

It is not false advertising. X can name their accommodations anything they choose to.

It is the responsibility of the persons booking the cruise to do their research and should know exactly what they are paying for. If they do not, IMHO, they have no reason to complain.

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, C-Dragons said:

It is not false advertising. X can name their accommodations anything they choose to.

It is the responsibility of the persons booking the cruise to do their research and should know exactly what they are paying for. If they do not, IMHO, they have no reason to complain.

Oh it is most definitely false or misleading advertising according to USA standards.  You are correct in that they can call it whatever they want.  They are a foreign based company and subject to different laws.  One would think that they would want to minimize the confusion.  However it appears that they are making money off of the confusion and new ship hype by selling an open/close window for the price of a balcony/veranda.

Edited by NMTraveller
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, NMTraveller said:

Perhaps they could call it a piazza, which by definition includes both a veranda and a porch, covering all bases and reducing the stress level of folks who get all discombobolated about the perceived "false advertising".  I grew up in a big ole New England Victorian house with a wrap around "porch" as my Mom called it, but to my Dad it was a "piazza" and he corrected my Mom everytime time she said she was going to sit out on the "porch" and listen to the Red Sox game.  Piazza, porch, veranda, balcony, whatever you want to call it, relax and enjoy, we are on a ship on vacation!  Romeo oh Romeo, wherefore art thou Romeo?  

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

I don't think that it meets the definition of a piazza either.  Perhaps pizza would be more appropriate due to the high cheese content. 🙂

Imagine someone listing their house as having 37 Infinite Verandas on the MLS.  I wonder how that would end.

But soft, what light through misnamed open/close  window breaks?
It is the East, and Juliet is the sun.

Edited by NMTraveller
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, NMTraveller said:

I don't think that it meets the definition of a piazza either.  Perhaps pizza would be more appropriate due to the high cheese content. 🙂

Imagine someone listing their house as having 37 Infinite Verandas on the MLS.  I wonder how that would end.

But soft, what light through misnamed open/close  window breaks?
It is the East, and Juliet is the sun.

This has become ridiculous.  We get it, you don’t like them.  
You are quite wrong that people don’t use them as verandas.  We’ve taken 2 cruises in this style veranda and spent hours out there.  One big plus is they are very private and quiet.

No on is making you cruise in one, let it go.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

11 minutes ago, Oville said:

This has become ridiculous.  We get it, you don’t like them.  
You are quite wrong that people don’t use them as verandas.  We’ve taken 2 cruises in this style veranda and spent hours out there.  One big plus is they are very private and quiet.

No on is making you cruise in one, let it go.

And I thought everyone trying to name it something other than an open/close windows was ridiculous and mental gymnastics.  

And the biggest proponents of the IVs apprear to be suite guests who have real balconies.

Edited by NMTraveller
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, NMTraveller said:

And I thought everyone trying to name it something other than an open/close windows was ridiculous and mental gymnastics.  

What is your agenda?  We get it you didn’t like sailing in an IV.  Guess what, you never have to again.

6 minutes ago, NMTraveller said:

Edited by Oville
  • Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, Oville said:

What is your agenda?  We get it you didn’t like sailing in an IV.  Guess what, you never have to again.

I don't have an agenda.  I do have opinions.

However it seems like you may have an issue with people who have differing opinions?

Edited by NMTraveller
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, NMTraveller said:

And the biggest proponents of the IVs apprear to be suite guests who have real balconies.

3 minutes ago, NMTraveller said:

I don't have an agenda.  I do have opinions.

However it seems like you may have an issue with people who have differing opinions?

You are definitely entitled to your opinions, but after an "infinite" number of the same thing over and over and over and over...you have become the "move along here, there is nothing to see" and adding zero further to the conversation, though I do enjoy a good hearty laugh at some point

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, LGW59 said:

You are definitely entitled to your opinions, but after an "infinite" number of the same thing over and over and over and over...you have become the "move along here, there is nothing to see" and adding zero further to the conversation, though I do enjoy a good hearty laugh at some point

Touche' Romeo 🙂

Edited by NMTraveller
  • Like 1