Infinite verandas - PROs and CONs

ISABELLA

57 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

It seems so from recent posts from people in isolation.  But not sure about every case on every ship.  Probably some exceptions.

That's good news. Progress is good. Thanks.

2 hours ago, Luvcrusn said:

Con:

If you like to go onto your balcony and spray yourself with sunscreen or insect repellant be prepared to breathe the fumes in your room for hours!

Best point I’ve seen…

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Cruise a holic said:

We were on an edge cruise- Infinite balconies not for me- we originally went to that cabin, but fortunately were able to change.  The cabin was long and seemed narrow.  Didn't like the fact that the captain could close the window when she deemed necessary- fortunately, we were lucky as a sky suite became available and we paid extra and moved the same day as boarding.  

I would suggest an aft balcony which is a true balcony.  Soe people like infinite balconies, not for us. 

Better book an Aft cabin soon.  For Dec 2022-April 2023 Beyond cruises, the aft cabins are all but gone already.

7 hours ago, drakes2 said:

Why would someone pay for a balcony cabin and not use it unless they just like to look outside. Seems a waste of money.

We book a balcony because we like having the option to sit outside.  In reality we spend less than than 30 minutes a day on the balcony, some days never set foot out there.  We have sailed in a IV and liked it and would book it again when Suites are out of our price range.

• Like 1

Pros:

• It's a nice big window.

Cons: 

• A/C shuts off as soon as you crack it open
  • You can't open it while keeping the room dark as the shade drops down next to the window
  • It's slow.  ~15 seconds to lower, ~30 seconds to raise. No quick 'pop onto the balcony to see how it is outside'
  • The chairs are low and the opening high.  
  • The glass is tinted and often salty.
  • Combine the above 2 and when you sit, you're looking at the scenery through two panes of tinted, possibly dirty glass.  Put sunglasses over your sunglasses for a sample of what it's like. 
  • Standing is necessary to enjoy the open air.
  • They're LOUD.  You'll know when anyone around you is opening their window.

• Like 4

So far, the only pro is:  It's a nice picture window.  To me it's amazing that Celebrity made such a huge change to the most common cabin category on the ship without understanding that so many people wouldn't like the features.  The bottom line is: If you really spend a lot of time on the balcony, you probably won't like the IV.  However if you only go out on the balcony for a few minutes a day, you will probably like the IV balcony because it really increases the size of the cabin.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Ipeeinthepools said:

So far, the only pro is:  It's a nice picture window.  To me it's amazing that Celebrity made such a huge change to the most common cabin category on the ship without understanding that so many people wouldn't like the features.  The bottom line is: If you really spend a lot of time on the balcony, you probably won't like the IV.  However if you only go out on the balcony for a few minutes a day, you will probably like the IV balcony because it really increases the size of the cabin.

I didn't miss the balcony on the Edge. On sea days I'm at the pool between 9 to 5 and port days I'm on an excursion. On one of my S class ships I booked a balcony which was $100 per day over the price of an inside cabin.  I spent approximately 20 minutes a day there.  

Just now, drakes2 said:

I didn't miss the balcony on the Edge. On sea days I'm at the pool between 9 to 5 and port days I'm on an excursion. On one of my S class ships I booked a balcony which was $100 per day over the price of an inside cabin.  I spent approximately 20 minutes a day there.  

That's my point.  If don't use the balcony very much you won't miss it and you'll likely be satisfied with an IV

1 hour ago, SWFL Cruisers said:

If you don't care to open the window I would just book a Panoramic Oceanview. It is exactly the same cabin except the window does not open.

The PO cabin is about 30 sq ft smaller so the smaller space and lack of the window not opening would make that a no go for me.

• Like 1

We’ve enjoyed the IV’s. It opens the entire SR up; it enlarges the SR by the size of the balcony, especially handy with the bed next to the BR.   And we enjoy inviting friends over and that is a major plus for us. 

Most ‘real’ balconies I’ve had on other ships have overhangs and of course the side partitions which limits the ‘sun and fun’ that people say the IV limits you. But, no you aren’t fully outside.

But we enjoy sitting next to it. The lower portion is the same height as what you find in most standard balconies, so I didn’t find it that much a restriction…..for me and how we use it. I Do Not sunbathe. 

It also cuts down on noise from the next SR areas and any chance of a smoker. On the 3 IV cruise we’d done, the Capt never locked the openings up. 

And to the loss of A/C, all 3 of my IV cruses were into the Caribbean and the SR didn’t get hot or humid at all. But I didn’t leave it open All Day. 

I will say that some who have booked IV then didn’t enjoy it, but many of the ‘Cons’ are from those that haven’t and won’t. Understand why, but mainly based on what they see as worse case, not direct experience. 

Den

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, Denny01 said:

We’ve enjoyed the IV’s. It opens the entire SR up; it enlarges the SR by the size of the balcony, especially handy with the bed next to the BR.   And we enjoy inviting friends over and that is a major plus for us. 

Most ‘real’ balconies I’ve had on other ships have overhangs and of course the side partitions which limits the ‘sun and fun’ that people say the IV limits you. But, no you aren’t fully outside.

But we enjoy sitting next to it. The lower portion is the same height as what you find in most standard balconies, so I didn’t find it that much a restriction…..for me and how we use it. I Do Not sunbathe. 

It also cuts down on noise from the next SR areas and any chance of a smoker. On the 3 IV cruise we’d done, the Capt never locked the openings up. 

And to the loss of A/C, all 3 of my IV cruses were into the Caribbean and the SR didn’t get hot or humid at all. But I didn’t leave it open All Day. 

I will say that some who have booked IV then didn’t enjoy it, but many of the ‘Cons’ are from those that haven’t and won’t. Understand why, but mainly based on what they see as worse case, not direct experience. 

Den

DH enjoys sitting on balcony while he waits for me to finish getting ready for dinner. When in an IV the room gets too hot with the AC off for me. Also we often wake at night while one of us is sleeping and go sit outside on the verandah. In an IV the noise of the window opening would wake the other and the room gets too hot because the AC shuts down. 

On 6/8/2022 at 1:32 PM, LGW59 said:

So nice to see a topic very rarely discussed 😎 

However, you rarely miss an opportunity to share your sarcasm.  Lots of kind and generous people who on CC who are always willing to offer information!

I would never rule out the possibility of booking an IV, but it would not be a first, or second choice.

Edited by Lastdance
None
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, D C said:

Pros:

• It's a nice big window.

Cons: 

• A/C shuts off as soon as you crack it open
  • You can't open it while keeping the room dark as the shade drops down next to the window
  • It's slow.  ~15 seconds to lower, ~30 seconds to raise. No quick 'pop onto the balcony to see how it is outside'
  • The chairs are low and the opening high.  
  • The glass is tinted and often salty.
  • Combine the above 2 and when you sit, you're looking at the scenery through two panes of tinted, possibly dirty glass.  Put sunglasses over your sunglasses for a sample of what it's like. 
  • Standing is necessary to enjoy the open air.
  • They're LOUD.  You'll know when anyone around you is opening their window.

2 hours ago, Denny01 said:

Den

I will assure you that my list of cons is based on experience.  Tried it just before covid and didn't care for it. Time passed, a good deal arrived, and we tried it again. Concluded that we will not book one again, and will simply avoid Edge class ships entirely. 

• Like 1

This is so subjective that I hesitated to post.  I’m obviously in the extreme (at least on Cruise Critic!) minority; I love the infinite verandas.  I want to stare out at the ocean…in a regular balcony cabin I may not be able to often due to sun angle or heat.  In an IV I can look out a floor to ceiling glass panel in air conditioned comfort.  No worry about the salt spray on the balcony chairs and floor.  The balcony rail glass in regular balconies is generally filthy and hard to look through.  As I said, it’s extremely subjective.  But I will say the Edge Class is so innovative and stunning that I wouldn’t let the shortage of traditional balconies keep you from experiencing these ships.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2

10 hours ago, ISABELLA said:

Thank you all for your experiences and opinions in regards IV. The only one reason we book verandas is to enjoy fresh ocean air. I see IV makes it complicated . Will check out Sunset verandas.

We chose to book a sunset verandah on the Apex in 2024. It's a Caribbean sailing. We chose because we both wanted to be fully "outside" while enjoying the balcony. We use it a lot coming and going from ports.

Also, there are times if it's rocky or rainy that I kind of want to "shut off" the ocean by closing the door 😃, so the idea of the infinite window didn't appeal to me.

I will say I haven't experienced any in person, but for this cruise we chose the sunset aft balcony, but who's to know if we will try an IV room one day.

Edited by lemon bar
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, helen haywood said:

This is so subjective that I hesitated to post.  I’m obviously in the extreme (at least on Cruise Critic!) minority; I love the infinite verandas.  I want to stare out at the ocean…in a regular balcony cabin I may not be able to often due to sun angle or heat.  In an IV I can look out a floor to ceiling glass panel in air conditioned comfort.  No worry about the salt spray on the balcony chairs and floor.  The balcony rail glass in regular balconies is generally filthy and hard to look through.  As I said, it’s extremely subjective.  But I will say the Edge Class is so innovative and stunning that I wouldn’t let the shortage of traditional balconies keep you from experiencing these ships.

No need to hesitate. The original request was for pros and cons. You have given your pros they wouldn't be mine but mine wouldn't be yours. That's the whole point of CC a constructive exchange of views without any rankor. 

• Like 2

We haven't yet experienced the IV, but we are looking forward to our first sailing on Apex in November and are confident enough to anticipate Beyond in Jan '24. 

Not having experienced the cabins, we are looking forward to the extended space and seating area in the room and the wide view. We are thinking of IV as very similar to the Panorama view cabins on Avalon river cruises - basically the whole wall is a glass door.  Our other experiences of Verandahs have always been in the shade, so sunning isn't our goal. 

My concerns are how comfortable the room will be if we want to be on the balcony for an extended period of time with the wall down.  We also will miss the ability to have the balcony opened to share with our neighbors while our parents sleep. 

To me, it's a different room design with pros and cons, as they all have, to throw into the mix. We're looking forward to experiencing it!

I wish the IV was larger than it is.. If two people are standing there and want to close the folding doors.. it isn't possible to do without removing a chair or the table...it is very tight fit.

I don't generally sit on the regular veranda...I burn just thinking of the sun... so I kinda liked the idea.. but DH did not like it... he likes to sit on the veranda and read ...while I was out on excursions the captain closed and locked the window for hours to allow the window washing equipment to go by. Now we were on an early sailing so I am not sure if they keep it locked as long as they did on that cruise. 

I like the feeling of more privacy... except for one small thing.. if you are in a port like Nassau and want to change for dinner without giving the ship across the pier ...a show..you have to close the blinds enough. Also, if you make the mistake of hitting the "morning' button on the app... the lights come up and blinds open...which was a bit of a shock as we were pulling into Ft Lauderdale.. while laying in bed.

I think the idea is great for itineraries like the inner passage where there is so much to see that you don't want to miss a minute..also if the weather is cold, wet or really hot..nice to be able to sit inside with a nice full view. But if you like the feeling of the ocean breeze ..you really don't get that ..you are more protected than on a traditional veranda. I frankly suggest people try it and see for themselves..I loved the bathrooms on this class..very nicely designed...not crazy about the chaise lounges..too low..and not very comfortable..I prefer a sofa.

• Like 1

On 6/9/2022 at 9:56 PM, ISABELLA said:

Thank you all for your experiences and opinions in regards IV. The only one reason we book verandas is to enjoy fresh ocean air. I see IV makes it complicated . Will check out Sunset verandas.

Isabella, good luck with your choice of cabin.  We have stayed in IV cabins twice and really enjoyed them. We also stayed in an aft corner suite and two other suites on the Edge.  My only complaint about the aft suite I was seasick do to rough Caribbean Seas and it was jumpy back there.
I’m just curious how many people who  responded to you with negative comments have ever stayed in an IV stateroom? For sure I know it’s more than a handful and my guess is many more.

Have a great cruise.

Edited by Oville
  • Like 1

We did Aft (regular) balcony on Edge last summer & IV on Apex this March.

Given a choice, I prefer the aft, more for the size & I like an open balcony to lay in the sun.

But many times aft is considerably more & I won't pay that much more.

We had originally booked a porthole balcony on Apex in Sept. 2020; fantastic deal.

I did an upgrade bid to IV for $50 each & got it. (that porthole balcony looked awfully cozy)

We liked it. Better than a regular? Naw, about the same.

Honestly as much as we like a balcony, we tend to be out & about on the ship & don't really use it that much, IV or regular. We have a limit--we only book a balcony if it is a few hundred more than interior room. 

1 hour ago, KKB said:

We have a limit--we only book a balcony if it is a few hundred more than interior room. 

I do the same only book a balcony if a few hundred more than an inside and thats for a ten night or above cruise.  

We were on a Transatlantic on Edge in an IV.  We absolutely LOVED it!  The cabin is larger and if you want to be on the balcony and not have the AC go off, we simply shut the balcony doors.  Yes, you have to move one of the chairs slightly to do that...took about 2 seconds...didn't bother us at all.  We were in Bermuda, and then the TA, and then several ports before we reached Southampton.  If it was hot/warm/cold you had the option of putting the window down all the way or having it at different levels to suit your comfort level.  We were able to sit there in pretty bad storms and were completely comfortable.  To be honest, we used that area a lot more than we usually use a regular balcony on a cruise because of all of the options with that window.  Also the one day that the window was locked for window washing, we had a note in the room giving us a "heads up" so we knew what to expect...and in my view it's worth it for clean windows.  I've been on too many cruises to count where the windows were filthy and you couldn't enjoy looking out of them.  I know I'm in the minority here, but I wish more ships had the IV option.

• Like 1