Recent Cruisers

realnice46

I was on the Summit 5/23 to Bermuda, Newport and Charleston. My group had a fantastic time. We were not suite guests. There were times that the MDR was slow but we dined late and packed our patient pants, so that didn't bother us. Our servers always apologized and made up for the delay. We really enjoyed the food, especially at the buffet. We only did one excursion through the ship, and other than some delays getting loaded, it went well. I did notice very few bartender/servers in the buffet (and at times at Cafe al Bacio), but with the option to order at the counter, it wasn't an issue.  Otherwise, none of us experienced staffing issues.  I realize that not everyone has the same experience... whether due to cabin class, luck, attitude, expectations or overall timing. But we were all pleased and are looking forward to cruising next month. 

• Like 1

We were on the Reflection last month. Cruise was amazing, but many of the staff were exhausted. They still always had a smile on their faces and worked very hard. Many have been due for vacation for a couple of months, but due to staffing shortages they can’t leave……and aren’t compensated for having to stay on board. 

We sailed twice with Princess last November and December and on Holland America in March, we sail this Sunday on the Equinox.

The Princess cruises were great as the ship was only a little over half full both times. Service was great, the food was pretty good as was the entertainment. The Holland America cruise was also very good but the ship was at full capacity except for cabins blocked off for Covid quarantine. Again everything was very good, including the service, on all 3 cruises we had cabin service twice a day. Again on all 3 cruises we never heard of anyone coming down with Covid except for 2 of the crew on the Rotterdam.

This Equinox cruise coming up is giving me some concern as the Covid Strain that is now circulating is quite contagious, we have been double boosted but I've been reading here on CC that people are getting the virus even with being double boosted, keeping our fingers crossed.

Unfortunately people who are double boasted are getting covid  without going on a cruise.  Cousin in CA who doesn't go out much and wears a mask when at grocery or going to appointments and niece and husband in CO.

Hope you enjoy your cruise!

We were on Silhouette in April.   The ship was indeed short staffed but never saw it affect the cruise.   Some of the wait staff were working much harder but they delivered.   I felt sorry of the Bar Tender in Retreat.   In the past he had a bar back to haul and fill the ice, take care of glasses and replenish supplies.   He was on his own and really put in the hours.    

Waiters, Stateroom attendants and Butlers were also short staffed but found ways to not let t show.  We had quite a number of crew cove down with Covid.

On occasion they would bring on someone with little experience e.g. the Suites Manager, who's lack of experience showed but his staff covered for him.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, realnice46 said:

Just wondering from people who have cruised in past month or so what your  overall experience has been. I ask this question after reading about staff shortages, tour cancellations etc.

Overall our most recent experience was improving. We have had 4 cruises since the restart, partly because we were on a B2B in Jan and had to cancel the 2nd leg due to a death in the family, not Covid. We rescheduled that trip for 8 weeks later, ergo 4 cruises instead of 3.
The first 2 were great, near empty ships, everyone just relieved to be there. Cruise 3 was Edge in late March. We were in a suite. First couple of days were great, then started noticing the strain on the staff of Covid absences, lack of shore leave, supply chain issues. These things were exacerbated by the Suites being full. The bulk of the ship was only slightly busier than our first 2 cruises, but Luminae was unpleasant and got worse as the week cruise wore on - very understaffed and at that point just beginning the most recent Omicron “swell”.

Our most recent trip was midMay and we began to see signs of improvement. This was Apex, first cruise from Amsterdam after the TA. First 3 days were a bit rocky, but it seemed more like new crew in new jobs, rather than too few exhausted people. There was a lot of shuffling people around, especially for breakfast rush, but by day 5, we began to see staff topping off coffee and taking mimosa orders tableside. MDR still had people a little overbooked, but they did not seem overwhelmed and food was almost always hot and timely.

Shore excursions at least in the UK are bit hit and miss, one of our driver/tour guides said there just isn’t a reliable supply of drivers and/or guides, so there are cancellations out of anyones control and, while most of the guides were quite good and knowledgeable, we had at least one total bust.

Pack your patience! And honestly, I would avoid E class suites until staffing stabilizes - if food is important.