Testing Requirement for Return to US

Flgreg

Yes, I’m seeing these letters now posted on TheOtherSite for River ships as well. 

I would not have guessed that Viking’s test policy was so tightly coupled with the CDC’s requirement. Or maybe it was just a great excuse to stop. Either way, hallelujah!!

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Twitchly said:

Yes, I’m seeing these letters now posted on TheOtherSite for River ships as well. 

I would not have guessed that Viking’s test policy was so tightly coupled with the CDC’s requirement. Or maybe it was just a great excuse to stop. Either way, hallelujah!!

I suspect that it was a very convenient exit ramp ... not aligning with the rest of the industry was increasingly going to be a business risk. In any event, one less travel consideration! 🍺🥌

• Like 1

I am on Mars now

Can confirm no more daily COVID testing….at least on Mars.

We were told this at check in.

However we did still have to provide proof of a negative test on checkin.  So that requirement is still in operation.

Edited by Carraig

10 minutes ago, Carraig said:

I am on Mars now

However we did still have to provide proof of a negative test on checkin.  So that requirement is still in operation.

Thanks for the confirmation. Did they require a Covid test administered at time of boarding in addition to the test we need to take before leaving the US?

21 minutes ago, Carraig said:

I am on Mars now

What port are you boarding?  Was your test a spit test just before you get on gangway?  Is that the negative proof?  Or is the negative proof the test done 72 hours (or 24 hours antigen) done before the first Viking event?

Edited by CCWineLover

No there was no test at boarding.

We got on today in Bergen.

The proof of negative test required to board is the same 24 hour or 72 hour one that has always been required. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Carraig said:

The proof of negative test required to board is the same 24 hour or 72 hour one that has always been required. 

Thanks, Carraig. That's wonderful that you didn't have to retest at the pier or in your cabin upon arrival. What is the mask  wearing protocol? Enjoy your journey!

Thank you for  your information.. It would be wonderful to hear your experiences as you cruise. Of course, daily enjoyment must come first. I hope all goes well and you have a lovely trip. 

I am planning on boarding the Mars in Bergen for my upcoming cruise. Did you get your pre embarkation test at the airport?  I will be traveling a few days in Denmark before the cruise so need to test on arrival in Bergen. Thank you for an additional information. 

The CDC requirements for cruise lines who "volunteer" to follow their guide lines is for passengers to provide of not having COVID with the 72 hour PCR or 24 hour antigen test OR the cruiseline could do the test prior to allowing the passenger on board.

image.png.b14770dc79efc74f86ecda47afe87195.png

Viking chose to leave the burden on the passenger. Dang It!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Carraig said:

Thnx!  This is wonderful news!  We had to test last month in Bergen at checking just before getting on gangway.  Then at dinner tests we’re back and people were removed from dinner wh tested positive. Just ugly.  No more!!!!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, duquephart said:

The test before first flight should go away as well. Too much to hope for?

Viking web-site update:

My Trip - Updates on Current Sailings (vikingcruises.com)

"Additionally, Viking highly recommends, but no longer requires, a pre-departure COVID-19 test—unless one is required by the destination."

It's over.

"Please note that Viking is in the process of notifying guests about these changes to the Viking Health & Safety Program, as well as updating specific requirements for all voyages across documents channels, including on MyVikingJourney.com. We expect that all relevant documents will be updated on June 14, 2022."

Edited by SailorPaulH
more info
  • Like 6

2 minutes ago, SailorPaulH said:

Viking web-site update:

My Trip - Updates on Current Sailings (vikingcruises.com)

"Additionally, Viking highly recommends, but no longer requires, a pre-departure COVID-19 test—unless one is required by the destination."

It's over.

"Please note that Viking is in the process of notifying guests about these changes to the Viking Health & Safety Program, as well as updating specific requirements for all voyages across documents channels, including on MyVikingJourney.com. We expect that all relevant documents will be updated on June 14, 2022."

As per the 'Asterix' character 'Raucous Hallelujachorus' 

• Like 2

Friends from the US who were on recent cruise, ending June 11, on Viking sky tested positive on board. Now having to quarantine in hotel in Rome and being told the can’t retest for 7 days and can’t leave the country without negative tests. Anyone have any additional information that might be helpful to them? Thanks

19 minutes ago, Dottie44 said:

Friends from the US who were on recent cruise, ending June 11, on Viking sky tested positive on board. Now having to quarantine in hotel in Rome and being told the can’t retest for 7 days and can’t leave the country without negative tests. Anyone have any additional information that might be helpful to them? Thanks

That might be a requirement of Italy.

https://it.usembassy.gov/covid-19-information/

Edited by LindaS272
Added usembassy info

Maybe it's me but in Iceland and Malta cruises in 2021 and in my just completed Eastern Danube river cruise I was never asked for my covid test results. Good thing because never received in time for the Malta cruise.

So glad that the stress of being CANCELLED is now removed, making cruise anticipation fun again and removing the daily stress over daily onboard testing.

• Like 5

On 6/11/2022 at 8:59 AM, Twitchly said:

I would not have guessed that Viking’s test policy was so tightly coupled with the CDC’s requirement. Or maybe it was just a great excuse to stop.

I had the same reaction. Figured this PCR protocol was just Viking being Viking. I mean, yeah, you want to make sure people aren't infected before returning to the US (of course now, with no testing, no guarantee of that), but also assumed the greater issue was the health and safety of everyone on the ship during the voyages. Quite an abrupt turnaround in policy for sure. 

Edited by AnyWayIsGood