Can you get local currency on the ship?

samplecd02

1 minute ago, samplecd02 said:

Can you get a small amount of local currency on the ship? Less than $20

Yes, you can at the Purser's office at Guest Relations.  

50 minutes ago, WestLakeGirl said:

Sometimes they have local currency, but often they don’t.  You won’t find any local currency in the Caribbean.  Mexican pesos maybe, but probably not.  Where are you going?

Amsterdam and the British Isles. I will just need 1 Euro so that I can rent a locker when I go to the Van Gogh Museum on my way back to the airport.

1 hour ago, samplecd02 said:

Amsterdam and the British Isles. I will just need 1 Euro so that I can rent a locker when I go to the Van Gogh Museum on my way back to the airport.

The ship's bank will not take coins from passengers when doing currency exchange. They may be limited in what coins they can give you

My experience has been that about the only currency they have available is Euro's an Pounds Stirling. Rate are not very good.   We usually have left over from previous cruises and baggies with change in them from most countries.    If I don't have currency I use a Bank ATM and use an ATM that refunds ATM and Transaction fees and take out a small amount.    If I need change I stop by a news stand and buy a candy bar.

Just back from Europe and touchless ATM cards are used everywhere including parking meters and buses.

16 hours ago, samplecd02 said:

Not sure where you are from but before your trip you can go to your local bank and get some euro's to take with you.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Arizona Wildcat said:

It depends.  I note many countries like Iceland use cards for everything from taxis, to coffee and admissions.  Friends reported never using cash.

I spent over a week in Iceland and never used cash. They don't want cash with one exception.Toilets ask for some small coin. It is an honor system though no one is there collecting. 

7 minutes ago, mrgabriel said:

I would ask friends. A lot of people (like me) come home with a pocket full of coins and banks in NA will not take coins for deposit. 

I have a bunch ziplock bags of unused foreign coins. I keep them sorted for possible future trips.