Edge Class Sunset Veranda - Is higher better?

TheHawk1

Looking at a future cruise on either Beyond or Apex and planning to book a SV to avoid the dreaded Infinite Veranda.  Just wondering the pros/cons of being on a higher or lower deck... e.g. a Deck 12 cabin would mean no one above you looking down at you sitting on your balcony and probably great views.  However, do you have the noise to contend with from the Oceanview Cafe above you, as well as more soot on your balcony from smokestacks?  On the other hand, by picking a lower deck, say 7 or 8, do you feel the vibration more of the engines or the motion of the ship if it's rough seas?  Just curious what others have experienced or how they choose?

45 minutes ago, TheHawk1 said:

Looking at a future cruise on either Beyond or Apex and planning to book a SV to avoid the dreaded Infinite Veranda.  Just wondering the pros/cons of being on a higher or lower deck... e.g. a Deck 12 cabin would mean no one above you looking down at you sitting on your balcony and probably great views.  However, do you have the noise to contend with from the Oceanview Cafe above you, as well as more soot on your balcony from smokestacks?  On the other hand, by picking a lower deck, say 7 or 8, do you feel the vibration more of the engines or the motion of the ship if it's rough seas?  Just curious what others have experienced or how they choose?

Anyone sitting at the tables along the rail outside of the buffet can see right in the deck 12 cabin balconies. It's not bothersome to me, but the lower decks can be noisy. People somewhat of an obsession with them, but the pros and cons of an SV vs. IV almost weight out one another. An SV balcony on a hot sunny day is practically unusable. 

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Jeremiah1212 said:

Anyone sitting at the tables along the rail outside of the buffet can see right in the deck 12 cabin balconies. It's not bothersome to me, but the lower decks can be noisy. People somewhat of an obsession with them, but the pros and cons of an SV vs. IV almost weight out one another. An SV balcony on a hot sunny day is practically unusable. 

Is Edge class sunset balconies tiered like S class? Where each level can see down to the other levels because they are tiered? 

51 minutes ago, mickeysgal said:

Is any part of the balcony covered?

About a quarter.

1 hour ago, mickeysgal said:

Edge class sunset balconies tiered 

Yes---but you can't see the entire balcony.

1 hour ago, Jeremiah1212 said:

SV balcony on a hot sunny day is practically unusable. 

That's true with ANY balcony (except Deck 12 S class on the sides) depending on which direction the ship is travelling/time of day.

6 hours ago, Jeremiah1212 said:

Lower decks noisy?

Was on deck 7 then 8 SV (B2B) last summer on Edge & NEVER noticed any noise.

Unusable? Nope, LOVE hot sunny days. (beat snow & wind any day)

Chairs CAN get soot--BE sure to toss a towel over it b4 sitting down. 
(our steward often had already done it)

LOVED our SV.

Edited by KKB

Not been on an Edge class ship, but were on Deck 9 on Infinity. 
We felt a great deal of movement when crossing the Atlantic in October 2013. We were told it was far worse in the bow, so be happy that you are in the stern, as the engines are at the back of the ship.

We stayed in a Sunset Veranda on deck 12 aboard the Edge and our balcony did accumulate a large amount of soot from the smokestack.  I don't know if the lower decks have this problem but I would avoid deck 12 based on our experience with the soot. 

We normally prefer a mid-ship cabin, but for a traditional veranda on E-Class it’s either a suite or a SV.  Concerned about the noise coming from deck 14 or from Eden we chose cabin 10278 on deck 10 for our Edge sailing in September 2021.  With cabins above and below, the location was super quiet.  Our sailing was very smooth, so I can’t comment on motion in rough seas, but we had no problems with vibrations and very minor issues with soot.  We had a partial overhang, which provided enough shade mornings & afternoons, with full sun mid-day.  Although the back of the ship is tiered, I don't think it is as pronounced as on the S-Class ships.  You can only be seen from above when standing at the railing.  The balconies on the lower levels are deeper – we had enough room for 2 loungers in addition to the usual 2 chars and small table.  All-in-all we were very pleased with our choice of cabin.

SV 10278 002.jpg

Edited by OT-Miami
  • Like 2

We had a deck 7 middle,.very large balc but we did have some music/ noise from EDEN in hallway near bathroom in the evenings.  ,  Also heard noise on our balcony from somewhere???  Never could figure it out.

Suggest you try deck 8 or 9 middle if you can,  but if 7 is all you can book...def go for it..noise was not a big factor...It was nothing  compared to the  cabin next door which had drinking parties before and after dinner out on their balc.the hang out space....luck of the draw!

7 hours ago, Tyler414 said:

I was in 11272 on Apex and had none of the potential issues you mention.  The only issue may be waiting to long, as the SV sell out fast.

Have booked SV on Deck 11 of Apex... unfortunately have to wait until Feb. 2024, but got my choice of cabins.  Thanks for all the advice. 

14 hours ago, TheHawk1 said:

Have booked SV on Deck 11 of Apex... unfortunately have to wait until Feb. 2024, but got my choice of cabins.  Thanks for all the advice. 

Nice, good for you.   I have a Jan 2023 and March 2024 on Beyond both in SV.   I usually don't book that far in advance, but word has spread on the IV vs. SV... and I love the aft cabins, if plans change no harm...

We were in 12266 Edge. Everyday, early morning chairs being moved around outside of Oceanview for breakfast. Right above us.   Soot was on the railing and the chairs.  Attendant told us to use a towel to wipe the areas, if it built up.  

OP:

We think that if you have a choice of decks, that the primary consideration should be where you spend the most time.

Breakfast and lunch in the Oceanview and a lot of pool time - go higher. 

More of a night owl with restaurant and shows and bars at night - go lower.

Since they are in short supply and high demand, we take what we can get, with our preference being higher but not Deck 12.

We had 11275 on Apex and thought it was ideal - we skipped the elevators when going up, liked the view from up high and had no noise issues.

Once you go Aft, you always go back.

• Thanks 1