Using my Verizon phone on Celebrity

Fuzzy55

Has anyone used their Verizon phone on Celebrity? Do you hook up to the WiFi and just use it like you would onshore? Can I check my text messages thru wifi without getting extra fees?  Tried calling Verizon, but got two different stories. Their website said can do pay as you go to make calls and texts.  Customer service rep said have to go thru WiFi. Normally would not be a big deal, but my 97 year old Mom is still alive and in case an emergency happens and they need to reach me. Thank you in advance

Our family of 4 regularly bring our Verizon phones on board.  Yes, if you pay for a Celebrity WiFi package, you can connect to the ship's WiFi and not incur any charges from Verizon.  You just have to make sure that you are always connected to the WiFi and not the ship's cellular tower or land based cell towers if you are near land.  If you are connected to those, you will be incurring Verizon charges.

To guarantee that your phone doesn't accidentally lock onto a cell tower, it is best to put the phone into airplane mode and then manually enable WiFi (or don't put your phone in airplane mode and simply turn off cellular data).

BTW, the two different stories that you received are actually compatible comments not in conflict with one another.  You do have the choice of "pay as you go" or other payment options which Verizon will gladly sell you.  OR you can go thru the ship's WiFi which bypasses Verizon altogether.  OR you can do both.

One other option involves leaving the ship's emergency phone number with family which will allow someone from land to contact you or get a message to you.  Here is some information on it: link

Edited by mahdnc
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

You need to set up “calling over wifi”.  Do this before you leave home so you can confirm that it is set up correctly.  It might work with the standard internet plan but you might need to upgrade to the premium plan.

then go into airplane mode and there will be no Verizon charges.

Edited by cruisestitch

You must be in airplane mode, wifi only.  If you get it wrong, you could get a huge bill.

I often remove my Verizon SIM card and put in a Keepgo SIM (data only) just to be safe.

When onshore, I often use the Keepgo Data card to dial using either Google Voice, Talkatone, or Skype.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Fuzzy55 said:

Has anyone used their Verizon phone on Celebrity? Do you hook up to the WiFi and just use it like you would onshore? Can I check my text messages thru wifi without getting extra fees?  Tried calling Verizon, but got two different stories. Their website said can do pay as you go to make calls and texts.  Customer service rep said have to go thru WiFi. Normally would not be a big deal, but my 97 year old Mom is still alive and in case an emergency happens and they need to reach me. Thank you in advance

We have Verizon android phones (Samsung). We hook up to the ship's WIFI, turn on airplane mode, turn on  WIFI calling and turn off any data or roaming settings and use the phone as we would at home to talk, text email etc. without any charges. No need to call Verizon. We did sign up for the $10 per day to use it in ports many years ago (if you do that you have to turn all those things back to their previous settings and then remember to do it again when back on board the ship.) That charge only occurs if you use it. Since we do what I previously mentioned, we haven't used the $10 per day in ports thing though, since there's no need to do it.

2 minutes ago, Luvcrusn said:

We did sign up for the $10 per day to use it in ports many years ago (if you do that you have to turn all those things back to their previous settings and then remember to do it again when back on board the ship.) That charge only occurs if you use it. 

You have to be careful when using the $10/day TravelPass option.  If your phone downloads email or your apps download information when you are ashore, you will have "used it" and it will trigger the $10 charge for the day.  When you do trigger the TravelPass charge, you automatically receive a text from Verizon notifying you of its occurrence.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, mahdnc said:

You have to be careful when using the $10/day TravelPass option.  If your phone downloads email or your apps download information when you are ashore, you will have "used it" and it will trigger the $10 charge for the day.  When you do trigger the TravelPass charge, you automatically receive a text from Verizon notifying you of its occurrence.

I know that, however in our case I just leave the phones in airplane mode with data and roaming off when we're off the ship as well unless I need to use it for some reason.

Just now, ymncruise said:

Do you use the regular internet package or the faster one?

I use the Stream (faster) package or my Captains Club complimentary minutes if I don't have the Stream. If using those, just remember to log out when not using your device or your complimentary minutes will continue to run.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Luvcrusn said:

I know that, however in our case I just leave the phones in airplane mode with data and roaming off when we're off the ship as well unless I need to use it for some reason.

I figured you knew that, it was really for the other Verizon users who may not--because you mentioned something about turning things back to their "previous settings" when ashore.

Edited by mahdnc
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, cruisestitch said:

You need to set up “calling over wifi”.  Do this before you leave home so you can confirm that it is set up correctly.  It might work with the standard internet plan but you might need to upgrade to the premium plan.

then go into airplane mode and there will be no Verizon charges.

You do need to set it up ahead of time.  It works fine on the standard internet plan.  I made several calls recently without a problem.

3 hours ago, ymncruise said:

Do you use the regular internet package or the faster one?

Definitely the 'stream' (fast) package, not 'surf' if you want to be able to use your phone for native voice text apps.  You can find apps that will allow you to text through the app using 'surf', but 'surf' won't normally support your phone's native texting app or voice calls -- though we've heard of times where it was working when it ought not to have been (freebies!) from some aboard with us.

All smart phones have wifi calling in settings.  Turn it on on your home network and then leave it on.  Doesn't impact performance one way or another.  Your phone will work as usual whenever connected to a wifi anywhere.  Cellular providers would prefer you not be aware of this; that's how they make money (and that's why it isn't enabled on our phones from the git-go).

Verizon user here with a Samsung S21 ultra.  There were four of us, all Verizon users with Samsungs.  Currently, you need the fast internet for WiFi Calling to work.   Text messages, e-mail etc... will work as well.  

Make sure you put your phone in airplane mode so you don't get roaming charges.

I always contact Verizon to tell them the dates I am traveling and where to, so it's noted on the account. 

When in port, depending on your phone plan, you will either have free International calling or you can add TravelPass which is currently $10.00 for each 24 hour period/each port.  This only gets charged if you use your phone in port.   You will receive a text message saying it's been activated.  (If you have never done this, you have to call Verizon).  You would have to take your phone off airplane mode when you get off the ship. Remember to put it back in airplane mode when back onboard.  If you don't want to use your phone in port, then keep it on airplane mode.   

🍹

Edited by PinkSandGirl

11 hours ago, Happy Cruiser 6143 said:

You do need to set it up ahead of time.  It works fine on the standard internet plan.  I made several calls recently without a problem.

From Verizon's WiFi Calling FAQ:

iOS smartphones must be connected to the Verizon network in the US. You can't turn on Wi-Fi Calling outside of the US.

I don't know why that's required, but I set mine up before leaving home just the initial time and would urge others to do the same.

25 minutes ago, cruisestitch said:

This jibes with what the ilounge staff were telling people on board.  

they could assist AT&T customers setting up wifi calling but said that Verizon needed to be enabled on land first.

It is not accurate that Verizon WIFI calling must set up on land first. We turn on WIFI calling when we board the ship as I stated in my earlier post by connecting to Ship WIFI, turning on WIFI calling in setting,, running of roaming and data and turning on Airplane mode. We have done it for years with Samsung phones and Verizon as our provider.

Perhaps the confusion is that the procedure differ between iPhone and Android. My post refers to Android phones.

Edited by Luvcrusn

1 minute ago, Luvcrusn said:

We have done it for years with Samsung phones and Verizon as our provider.

Verizon's website states that turning on WiFi calling on a home Verizon network is only required for IOS devices. That's likely why your experience differs.

• Like 1

Just now, RichYak said:

Verizon's website states that turning on WiFi calling on a home Verizon network is only required for IOS devices. That's likely why your experience differs.

We were posting simultaneously  it appears. Lol

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Luvcrusn said:

It is not accurate that Verizon WIFI calling must set up on land first. We turn on WIFI calling when we board the ship as I stated in my earlier post by connecting to Ship WIFI, turning on WIFI calling in setting,, running of roaming and data and turning on Airplane mode. We have done it for years with Samsung phones and Verizon as our provider.

Depends on the phone.  For some crazy reason - probably to maximize $$ - Verizon wants to force calls on their network.   The easiest ways around this are to turn off the location of for those that travel use TMobile.  Data and texting included on most plans in 160 countries and calling inexpensive. 

iPhone users could do FaceTime audio calling as an equivalent substitute--as long as the person you are calling has an iPhone.  WhatsApp also has a calling feature which will work across different phone platforms.

Edited by mahdnc

1 hour ago, Arizona Wildcat said:

The easiest ways around this are to turn off the location of for those that travel use TMobile. 

?  Could you explain what you mean there in a bit more detail?  You can shut down location permissions for specific apps, but for the entire phone?  (TMobile just forced a SIM card switch from Sprint, so curious).