Best location for a newbie that is a little concerned with motion issues

Gma&Gpa

When I cruise in the fall this year, I'm taking a newbie.  She's a little concerned about possible seasick issues.  I've told her she can certainly take bonine, or get the patch or the bracelet.   Which is the best location on the ship to have the least motion issues?  I can't remember if it's front or back or middle of the ship.   We'll be in an Ocean View room, so it will be on one of the bottom two decks.  Getting ready to book in the next few days - so any input would be greatly appreciated.

People are going to give you a million answers....at the end of the day if the ship is moving it is moving everywhere.  I guarantee you could blindfold people and drag them around the ship and they couldn't tell you where they were or if the motion was different than the last place.

• Like 1

Guest BasicSailor
2 minutes ago, ray98 said:

People are going to give you a million answers....at the end of the day if the ship is moving it is moving everywhere.  I guarantee you could blindfold people and drag them around the ship and they couldn't tell you where they were or if the motion was different than the last place.

🤣 And I guarantee you will feel more motion forward and aft than midship . Blindfolded ,tied upside down with a burlap bag tied over your entire body.😉

This is what has worked very well for DH for 20 years of cruising (myself and DS do not have issues).  DH has extreme motion sickness issues (even watching tv if something is spinning or moving fast 🤥) but loves to cruise. He gets a prescription for the patch from his doctor (the bracelet and everything else was hit or miss).  He uses the first patch starting 24 hrs before sailing and then changes it out for a new once the day after we sail (if rough seas then he may use a 3rd after that but generally good after the 2nd one).  We couple this with a Bonine or Dramamine (long lasting non (less) drowsy kind) every morning as well.  

As far as cabins go, It took a few location tries when we first started cruising but his sweet spot is mid ship, around deck  7 or 8 typically but depends on ship of course (we tend to lean towards the larger ships for many of our cruises).  Also, he has to be able to see the outside and get fresh air immediately if need be so the balcony cabins are good for him.  This combination of meds and cabins location for DH has worked very well (we also keep ginger ale in the fridge) during the cruise.  

You may also need to adjust to the weather while cruising like not eating in an aft dinning room if the seas are rolling/swelling more than usual or any venue in back for that matter.  

Edited by Drazil65

We recently cruised with 2 people new to cruising, and one got very very seasick on a rough day. Unfortunately we were on a high deck all the way forward. We took her down to a lower deck in the midship area and it was a world of difference. It allowed her to relax and we waited there a couple hours for the seas to ease up.

When we first started cruising, DW was worried about motion.  We booked deck 1 interior mid-ship.  No issues and we've booked that way (category 4B) ever since.  Even when we feel motion during dinner, theater, comedy or lido, once we go back down to our room, everything is perfectly fine.  Can't feel any motion at all.

18 hours ago, Gma&Gpa said:

When I cruise in the fall this year, I'm taking a newbie.  She's a little concerned about possible seasick issues.  I've told her she can certainly take bonine, or get the patch or the bracelet.   Which is the best location on the ship to have the least motion issues?  I can't remember if it's front or back or middle of the ship.   We'll be in an Ocean View room, so it will be on one of the bottom two decks.  Getting ready to book in the next few days - so any input would be greatly appreciated.

Depends on where you are cruising.  We have done two trans-Atlantic cruises and two TransPacific from Australia.  A few rough days but nothing serious.

If you are just cruising the Caribean you aren't going to feel much motion.

But if you are concerned, then as other people suggested mid ship low.

19 hours ago, Gma&Gpa said:

Lowest deck mid ship is by far the very best location. No other location. get the patch or take the pill. If you start to feel queasy. Immediately look at the horizon or if there is another ship in view. Concentrate on it. If it is dark outside, stop walking and concentrate on anything. Do not look at people walking. Hope that helps.

19 hours ago, BasicSailor said:

🤣 And I guarantee you will feel more motion forward and aft than midship . Blindfolded ,tied upside down with a burlap bag tied over your entire body.😉

And that is a fact. Midship lowest deck is the place to be if feeling seasick. 

• Like 1

For our first two cruises, we chose Deck 2 cove balconies (Breeze and Vista) about 8-10 cabins aft of the forward elevators, partly for this reason.  Not fully amidships, but enough to minimize motion.  We noticed very little motion when in our cabin.  However, these were also Caribbean summer cruises with not all that much wave action either (but a couple days were rolling a bit).

Low and center is your best bet.  Having sight of a horizon helps - your brain starts to recognize it indeed is the floor that's moving.  If you're inside, your brain does not like the fact that your eyes are telling you all is stable, but your inner ear says things are moving.  That dissonance makes you want to puke.

16 hours ago, M&A said:

Depends on where you are cruising.  

If you are just cruising the Caribean you aren't going to feel much motion.

But if you are concerned, then as other people suggested mid ship low.

Another false statement.

The Caribbean can be rough depending on any storms or pressure systems whose effects can extend far beyond the system center.  This is true year round, not just in hurricane season.

• Like 1

Thanks for the suggestions. I booked mid ship, deck 1, ocean view.  And she's  goung to get the patch  and i always  taje a bottle  of bonine, "just in case".  It's  also 2nd week of november, so most of hurricane issues are gone.