Boston Museum of Fine Arts/Cambridge from Port

joyandjerry

We have done (and greatly enjoyed) the Freedom Trail and the USS Constitution and Bunker Hill. So I was thinking of MOFA and wondering how to get there from the terminal. No problem with some walking, but would take transport for speed. Also interested in Harvard/Cambridge, but it may be a bit far from the port? I don't want to spend all day on a bus and have to worry about getting back in time.

For the MOFA, take the Silver Line (at the port) to South Station, then grab a Red Line to Downtown Crossing (one stop), then the Orange Line to MOFA. To then get to Cambridge, Orange Line back to Downtown Crossing, then Red Line to Harvard.

IMHO, stick with just the museum.

You take the Green Line to the MFA.  There is a stop on the E line that is called Museum of Fine Arts.  Walk from the Orange line is too long.  Change from Red Line to Green at Park Street.

After the museum I would take a cab/uber to Harvard square.  Otherwise you have to go back into the city center and back out again to Cambridge.  You can cut across the river with a cab.  And then you just take the Red Line as a straight shot back to South Station.

And remember, you can ride the T (the name of our subway) anywhere it goes for one fare.  It doesn't cost extra to switch lines.  Only if you exit the system do you need to pay again to go anywhere.

3 hours ago, joyandjerry said:

I don't want to spend all day on a bus and have to worry about getting back in time.

If you want to save time and get in a few things-- just take Ubers. Will be much faster than public transport. You can easily do a run through the MOFA and then take another Uber over for a quick walk around Cambridge and then get back to the ship in the length of a normal port stop. 

They are cutting down on service for a while due to staffing issues so the trains won’t come as often that is the big factor. Once a train comes, it should take about 25-30 minutes on the red line to or from Cambridge. Probably a little longer on the green line as that line has many stops to thr MFA. 

I would also just take an Uber but that’s me. As long as it’s not rush hour, it won’t take too long. 

The ride out to Harvard on the T is easy enough. Also note that Harvard has some fantastic museums itself.

Me? I love the MFA and the nearby Gardner. Slightly trickier by public transit, which won’t matter if you take Uber. 

From a local….FYI the T (subway) is a mess right now!….trains out of service/schedule changes/station closures etc.

take taxi or Uber!

Somehow enjoy Boston! It’s a great city of culture and history!

This is a thread about the MFA…a beautiful museum!  Enjoy!

I'd walk it, but I like long walks.

Silver line to South Station makes it a much shorter walk.  You can do multiple MBTA transfers (3 seat ride) and get right to the front door of the Aquarium, but that would take a ton of time and with the problems The "T" is having lately, might require a couple of shuttle buses, too

Cab or Uber would work, too.

My favorite art museum in the Boston area is probably the ICA, which is in the seaport district about a mile from the cruise port. 
If you want something more like the MFA Harvard has decent art museums, and there’s more to do in the immediate area than at the MFA. 

And T update, it’s even more of a mess. Just closed down stretches of the green and orange lines indefinitely with buses replacing them. Ugh!  Take Ubers or cabs. There are plenty of cabs in Boston. 

So glad I work from home now. Commuted by subway for 25 years and it would be impossible to do right now. 

Edited by Sox Fan Cruiser

4 hours ago, wcook said:

To the aquarium - silver line to south station, then walk the greenway to the aquarium. If you are at all an engineering geek, read up on The Big Dig beforehand. 

We will probably do an Uber. The were working on the big dig on my first visit to Boston. Any good restaurants near the aquarium or Port, for seafood?

13 hours ago, joyandjerry said:

Thanks so much to all, so many great ideas! Glad some of the lines are operating again. We are going in October so hopefully it will be better then, also.

They will most certainly break down at least a half dozen times between now and your visit