Italy port mask requirement question

ScottVan

Hoping someone can answer based on recent experience; I'm trying to decide how many KN95 masks to bring. Regent's latest advice for the 7/13 Explorer sailing from Rome says they "require guests to carry FFP2/KN95 masks to visit Italian ports" and later says "A FFP2/KN95 mask must be worn to enter Italy". Carrying and wearing are different things, and I know masks are not required most places in Italy right now if you arrive by train or plane or car or on foot... is it really true that you have to don your mask when disembarking at an Italian port and keep it on until you return to the ship, simply because you arrived via cruise ship? (I know some places can require it, and I'll have one with me anyway, but I'm curious how much I'll be wearing it; I also know I have to wear it on board while docked in Italy.) Will someone really be following me around to enforce this, indoors and out?

Related question: Will I be required to wear one on transfers from Rome airport to hotel and hotel to ship, on shore excursions, or in the executive full day private car?

Thanks in advance for any experiences you can share. I have searched the forum for answers to this, but was unable to find any.

We just returned from Italy. All public transportation required a FFP2 or equivalent mask to be worn. On Trenitalia Trains they were quite strict about this requirement. The same for the Rome hop on hop off tour buses. Taxi’s required masks.

On June 16, 2022 the Italian Government extended the masking requirement for public transport. 

Some local shops required that masks be worn to enter. These were in the minority and we’re getting less during our time in Italy.

When we returned the the U.S. we wore masks in the airport but once on board the aircraft masks were not required. 

Currently in Italy.  We were required to wear masks on the bus yesterday in Palermo, but today in Sorrento, no one was wearing a mask.  I had brought ours, but no one, including bus drivers was wearing.

Hello,

We are currently in Civitavecchia  having just spent the week in Tuscany. Yes, masks were required on the trains both coming from the airport to Tuscany and traveling to Civitavecchia today. But, we never needed them in any of the places we traveled to in Tuscany and it looks like most stores and restaurants here are becoming less strict about the process. We also didn’t need to wear them on the plane or in the airport. So, I guess it’s still a fluid process and hopefully it goes away soon. We’re thrilled we don’t have to test again to go home to the States because that eMed test we took last night was a giant pain. The test itself was easy, but getting them to “recognize” our devices was a nightmare and took multiple attempts- very stressful. At least it’s done and we’re ready to sail tomorrow.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, exlandlubber said:

We’re thrilled we don’t have to test again to go home to the States because that eMed test we took last night was a giant pain. The test itself was easy, but getting them to “recognize” our devices was a nightmare and took multiple attempts- very stressful. At least it’s done and we’re ready to sail tomorrow.

Can you elaborate on this? We will be doing an Emed test in Trieste prior to boarding a future cruise. What was the problem?

• 3 weeks later...

Hello Aloha 1,

I’m terribly sorry about the delay and I hope there’s still time to answer your question. We were using our phones to make contact with Emed. The question was “Do you hear this sound?” and then a couple of notes were played.  OK, no problem. Then for whatever reason, the website said that we needed to “turn on our microphone” in settings which we had already done and checked on several times. Eventually we were “heard” but it was very frustrating. I think next time, I’ll use my iPad or a computer instead as that may fix the problem. Like I said, hope I’m not too late to answer your question.

On 7/5/2022 at 12:30 PM, exlandlubber said:

Hello Aloha 1,

I’m terribly sorry about the delay and I hope there’s still time to answer your question. We were using our phones to make contact with Emed. The question was “Do you hear this sound?” and then a couple of notes were played.  OK, no problem. Then for whatever reason, the website said that we needed to “turn on our microphone” in settings which we had already done and checked on several times. Eventually we were “heard” but it was very frustrating. I think next time, I’ll use my iPad or a computer instead as that may fix the problem. Like I said, hope I’m not too late to answer your question.

Not at all. Thanks

On 7/5/2022 at 9:30 AM, exlandlubber said:

Hello Aloha 1,

We did the eMed tests on my phone in June (sequentially so we could help each other, which was needed), and also heart the test notes but not the eMed reps each time.  They quickly went to using Chat which slowed things down but at least it worked.