Best way to get from cruise port to Athens

StarSeven7

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Native Floridian 26 said:

Does anyone know if the X80 will be running in early November? There are still many cruise ships docking then even though I had seen that it only runs through September.

In past years they would stop the X80 around the end of Sept or Oct.  Keep in mind that cruise ships and Ferries dock in Pireaus year round!  I guess they stop the X80 because it is just not very popular except with some cruisers.  Most Greeks  (and me) would simply go over to the train station and take the Green Line.   Even if they would extend the X80 season one would assume the frequency would be cut-back.   The #843 bus does run from the street outside the ports over to the train station for those that don't like to walk.

Hank

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 9 months later...
On 6/19/2022 at 11:06 PM, cruisemom42 said:

The map posted first shows the three Terminals (A, B, and C) for cruise passengers -- and you can see how long the walk is from Terminal B to the metro/train station.

The second map shows the stops for the X80 express bus, although unfortunately the legend is on top of the Terminal B area -- still, if VMax1700 says they stop there, I believe.  (I've only ever arrived at Terminal B, on smaller ships.)

See the source image

See the source image

On 6/19/2022 at 9:27 PM, VMax1700 said:

The return bus leaves from outside McDonald's on Syntagma Square.

This is the ticket kiosk at Terminal B.

ThDSCN2570.JPG.3be76b7c7868bf68b45a18c997b517e8.thumb.jpg.69b0742b5a50c5c983ba701fefc9b0f3.jpg

DSCN2569.JPG.29fd0bc896dfc5e3da8e09c6f410ecec.thumb.jpg.165d7ba8d2229b18842de20a8be0f319.jpg

I have read both your responses on this topic which have been very useful. I am hoping you can provide some information on the X96 express bus from the port to the airport. Using the O.A.S.A. website I have determined that the cost one-way to the airport is 5.50 euro and that it takes about 90 minutes with a bus about every 25-30 minutes. However I can't find the location of the pick up points at the port on that site. The map posted by Cruisemom suggests it could be a 2km walk to the bus stop which will not wash with The Boss. Any additional detail you could provide would be much appreciated.

23 hours ago, Nang said:

I have read both your responses on this topic which have been very useful. I am hoping you can provide some information on the X96 express bus from the port to the airport. Using the O.A.S.A. website I have determined that the cost one-way to the airport is 5.50 euro and that it takes about 90 minutes with a bus about every 25-30 minutes. However I can't find the location of the pick up points at the port on that site. The map posted by Cruisemom suggests it could be a 2km walk to the bus stop which will not wash with The Boss. Any additional detail you could provide would be much appreciated.

Did some more digging around on the bus website and managed to confirm that the X96 stops at the Piraeus Metro station so its over a 2km walk with luggage. I expect we will be get a taxi or book WelcomePickUps.

6 hours ago, Nang said:

Did some more digging around on the bus website and managed to confirm that the X96 stops at the Piraeus Metro station so its over a 2km walk with luggage. I expect we will be get a taxi or book WelcomePickUps.

Sorry, I missed your post.  I have no experience with the X96 and just googled the bus website and it does appear to be a distance.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, figgy1978 said:

Where do you buy the bus ticket?  Can you buy onboard?  Do they take cards?

There is a kiosk outside the terminals.  You must pre purchase before boarding the bus as bus does not take any money.  Yes, they take cards.

Edited by VMax1700
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

It looks like Enchanted Princess docks at E12.  Does that mean the X80 doesn't swing by there to pick up cruise passengers?  We will be ending our cruise there but see that it's a 40 minute walk to the train station.  Our initial plan was to walk around Piraeus before finding the train to Athens.  What's the "touristy" area of Piraeus to head to?  We could probably make it work if there were sights to see on the walk vs just heading to the train.

1 hour ago, sofa.king said:

It looks like Enchanted Princess docks at E12.  Does that mean the X80 doesn't swing by there to pick up cruise passengers?  We will be ending our cruise there but see that it's a 40 minute walk to the train station.  Our initial plan was to walk around Piraeus before finding the train to Athens.  What's the "touristy" area of Piraeus to head to?  We could probably make it work if there were sights to see on the walk vs just heading to the train.

I think that the E12 refers to the port access gate and not the dock as the Piraeus Port lists three Cruise terminals A. B and C.  The closest terminal to gate E12 seems to be Terminal C, which has the X80 buses.  I think all the terminals would be serviced by X80.

• Like 1

I think the E12 entrance gate serves both the B and C Terminal.  

I was at Terminal B in May.  Even though the X80 was advertised as "starts in May", it had not started by May 17th when I was in port at Terminal B.  It was disappointing.  There was a bus stop and even a kiosk for a person to either sell tickets or give info about the X80, but it was unmanned and had a sign saying "Starting in May".

So I jumped in a taxi (there were a lot of them waiting for passengers) and asked to go to the Acropolis.  We took off.  However, I was again disappointed when the taxi driver started to pressure me to pay him for a longer "tour" of the best places to visit in the city.  I held firm and asked him just to take me to the Acropolis.  Then he told me that he was going to take me to another taxi rank nearby and I could get out of his taxi and get one there to take me to the Acropolis.  He told me that I was being unfair to him and costing him money.  At first I said No.  Then he kept insisting.  He told me that he only took me because there was a policeman at the taxi line at the port and he was forced to take the next fare.  Which was true.  I finally told him just let me out of the taxi.  By that time, he was at the second taxi rank.  We had gone a little over a mile from the port by that time, I would guess.  At this point I was very angry with him and I was letting him know that.  I asked him how much I owed him for the short ride.  Surprisingly, he told me no charge.  So I jumped out.  I jumped right into another taxi and went directly to the Acropolis.  It was very weird.

After exploring Athens very successfully, I decided to ride the Metro back to Piraeus and just walk back to the ship.  I had done twice it in the past.  In the past, you only had to walk as far as Terminal A and then there was a port shuttle bus that would take you to Terminal B and/or C.  I assumed that to still be the case.  However, upon arriving at Terminal A, there was nothing going on.  There was no ship in port at that time.  There were no vehicles at Terminal A at all.  I saw only one employee walking around.  He didn't speak English.  So me and another couple who were in the same boat (pun intended) started to walk thru the a toward Terminal B.  A guard stopped us and told us we could not walk thru that port road.  This was a road the shuttle busses had previously used to the outer terminals and it would be the shortest distance to the terminals.  Instead, we had to backtrack a bit and go up an overpass roadway and then back down toward the outer terminals.  This route took us to the E12 entrance eventually.  But it was quite a long walk and it was hot and sunny.  I think it took me about one hour to walk from the Piraeus Metro to Terminal B.

Had I known this, I would have grabbed a taxi at the Metro station. I tried to figure out which bus line from the Metro station might get me close, but I could not figure it out.  So I walked.  Of course, at that time, I thought I was only walking to Terminal A.

Bottom line, the walk to Terminal A is not awful.  Probably allow 20-30 minutes.  It's a pleasant walk.  If you're going to be at Terminal B or C, I would not walk it and I would figure out your plan better than I did.

Edited by MeHeartCruising
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, MeHeartCruising said:

I think the E12 entrance gate serves both the B and C Terminal.  

I was at Terminal B in May.  Even though the X80 was advertised as "starts in May", it had not started by May 17th when I was in port at Terminal B.  It was disappointing.  There was a bus stop and even a kiosk for a person to either sell tickets or give info about the X80, but it was unmanned and had a sign saying "Starting in May".

So I jumped in a taxi (there were a lot of them waiting for passengers) and asked to go to the Acropolis.  We took off.  However, I was again disappointed when the taxi driver started to pressure me to pay him for a longer "tour" of the best places to visit in the city.  I held firm and asked him just to take me to the Acropolis.  Then he told me that he was going to take me to another taxi rank nearby and I could get out of his taxi and get one there to take me to the Acropolis.  He told me that I was being unfair to him and costing him money.  At first I said No.  Then he kept insisting.  He told me that he only took me because there was a policeman at the taxi line at the port and he was forced to take the next fare.  Which was true.  I finally told him just let me out of the taxi.  By that time, he was at the second taxi rank.  We had gone a little over a mile from the port by that time, I would guess.  At this point I was very angry with him and I was letting him know that.  I asked him how much I owed him for the short ride.  Surprisingly, he told me no charge.  So I jumped out.  I jumped right into another taxi and went directly to the Acropolis.  It was very weird.

After exploring Athens very successfully, I decided to ride the Metro back to Piraeus and just walk back to the ship.  I had done twice it in the past.  In the past, you only had to walk as far as Terminal A and then there was a port shuttle bus that would take you to Terminal B and/or C.  I assumed that to still be the case.  However, upon arriving at Terminal A, there was nothing going on.  There was no ship in port at that time.  There were no vehicles at Terminal A at all.  I saw only one employee walking around.  He didn't speak English.  So me and another couple who were in the same boat (pun intended) started to walk thru the a toward Terminal B.  A guard stopped us and told us we could not walk thru that port road.  This was a road the shuttle busses had previously used to the outer terminals and it would be the shortest distance to the terminals.  Instead, we had to backtrack a bit and go up an overpass roadway and then back down toward the outer terminals.  This route took us to the E12 entrance eventually.  But it was quite a long walk and it was hot and sunny.  I think it took me about one hour to walk from the Piraeus Metro to Terminal B.

Had I known this, I would have grabbed a taxi at the Metro station. I tried to figure out which bus line from the Metro station might get me close, but I could not figure it out.  So I walked.  Of course, at that time, I thought I was only walking to Terminal A.

Bottom line, the walk to Terminal A is not awful.  Probably allow 20-30 minutes.  It's a pleasant walk.  If you're going to be at Terminal B or C, I would not walk it and I would figure out your plan better than I did.

DH and I have booked Welcome Pickups from the port to the Acropolis and I'm planning on us taking the Metro back.  Good info on needing to take a cab from the Metro stop to the ship, thanks!

6 hours ago, VMax1700 said:

I think that the E12 refers to the port access gate and not the dock as the Piraeus Port lists three Cruise terminals A. B and C.  The closest terminal to gate E12 seems to be Terminal C, which has the X80 buses.  I think all the terminals would be serviced by X80.

Thank @VMax1700

The X80 bus fare is for 24 hours I believe.  When it takes you into Athens, can you then use the same fare to go on other buses in land?  It seems to read that way but I want to confirm my understanding.  We will not need to go back to Piraeus but would like to see Piraeus first before heading to Athens.

On 6/19/2022 at 6:23 AM, VMax1700 said:

X80 bus from outside the terminal. Day Return fare €4.10. Bus every 15/20 minutes.

According to the website, the X80 only runs from May to October.  Our cruise is in November.... What does everyone recommend?

19 hours ago, auburngirl said:

According to the website, the X80 only runs from May to October.  Our cruise is in November.... What does everyone recommend?

My choice after my recent experience (see above), taxi from the pier to your desired destination.  But, hopefully, you don't get in a taxi that doesn't want to take you where you want to go.  On the return trip, I think Metro back to Piraeus and then a taxi to the ship from there.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MeHeartCruising said:

My choice after my recent experience (see above), taxi from the pier to your desired destination.  But, hopefully, you don't get in a taxi that doesn't want to take you where you want to go.  On the return trip, I think Metro back to Piraeus and then a taxi to the ship from there.

I would agree. That taxi driver you experienced should be reported. Most might try to give you an upsell, but they know they are required to take you to your destination. I'd just make sure you're very clear about that before you get in the car. 

• Like 1

Can anyone give an approximate amount that a taxi might charge from the port to the city and also the fare from the metro stop back to the ship?

Also, do you pay the taxi drivers in euros or will they accept credit cards?

Do you know if you can reserve an Uber from the port?

Thank you!

16 minutes ago, rg123 said:

Can anyone give an approximate amount that a taxi might charge from the port to the city and also the fare from the metro stop back to the ship?

Also, do you pay the taxi drivers in euros or will they accept credit cards?

Do you know if you can reserve an Uber from the port?

Thank you!

Not sure if Uber works in Greece....

From the port in Piraeus to the Acropolis should be about 25 euro.  

From the metro/train stop in Piraeus, keep your validated ticket and you can catch a ride for free on local bus that will get you close to the port. The two bus numbers that run this route are 843 and 859.

13 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

Not sure if Uber works in Greece....

From the port in Piraeus to the Acropolis should be about 25 euro.  

From the metro/train stop in Piraeus, keep your validated ticket and you can catch a ride for free on local bus that will get you close to the port. The two bus numbers that run this route are 843 and 859.

Thanks!

On 7/11/2022 at 7:25 PM, Hlitner said:

There is also a public bus (I think it is #843) that runs along this same route quite frequently.  If you are returning to Pireaus vis the metro (Green Line) you can cross the street in front of the train station and take that bus back to the stop near the port.  Keep your metro ticket since that bus would be included so no need to pay an extra fare.  It would be the same while heading from the port to the station, but you would need to pay the bus fare (I think it is 1 Euro) unless you somehow have managed to get your hands on the Metro ticket to Athens. 

Just back on the ship and couldn't wait to report on our fricken sketchy situations today both ways!  😀 

On the way out of the port area some taxi drivers were telling us that the metro wasn't running today.  So we just told them we were taking the bus which were obviously running since we could see them go by.   Of course we found the metro running when we got to station.  Those jerks!  🙃.  

On the way back, we got targeted by pickpockets!  Even bigger jerks!  😄  Just before on the return metro, the missus gave me crap for not immediately moving away from a group she suspected were pickpockets. Personally I didn't think they were but she's more cautious.  

The main story begins while we were waiting for the #843 (or another line that Google maps was telling us) outside the metro station to take us back to the ship.  Some guy comes very near us for no reason and then moves away.  He must have been sussing us out, confirming we were tourists.  He's so noticeable because he stuck his hands down his pants to scratch his butt for an extended period and then walks away.  🙄

#843 finally arrives.  We line up to get in a set of doors second to the back.  A lot of people are getting out there so we switch to the far rear doors.  We get on and are immediately surrounded by Mr Buttscratcher and two girls who would not move so we could go to another part of the near empty bus which  obviously starts setting off alarm bells.  Any time I'm in a crowded situation, my default position is to back up against a wall and have my arms along my side with my hands covering my pockets so I can feel my phone and wallet.  Mr Buttscratcher starts constantly elbowing my arm (gag, he's touching me 🤮) to make me move my hands.  FU buddy, these hands are not moving.  The missus beside me defaults to having her purse secured under her arm with her other hand providing a second lever of support (with nothing of value in her pant pockets).  The girls, all the while smiling/laughing, were trying force her to walk through them so they could grab at her but she wouldn't take the bait.  Dude eventually moves aside knowing we're not fish and provides a lane to seats.  And they all get off at the next stop.  Oi vey!

Anyways, we love DIY and using public transportation but obviously got to be on the ball for crap like this!  

Argh!  We used to post lots of warnings about pickpockets in Pireaus/Athens (which we think is almost as bad as in Barcelona).  The Green Line metro is quite well known for the pickpockets and folks really need to be aware and take precautions.  We learned a few ideas from a retired US Secret Service Agent we once met on a river cruise.  He was our dinner companion and told us many interesting tales including how the secret service agents on the Presidential details used to get pickpocketed because their attention was always elsewhere than on themselves.  

So his two simple ideas have served us well.  For ladies, they should secure their purse zippers with a large diaper pin and always wear their purse cross-shoulder (never put it down when in a cafe/restaiurant.  For men, keep your valuables in a front pocket and secure that pocket with a large diaper or safety pin.  He also suggested that men who carry wallets put a couple of thick rubber bands around the wallet (makes it very difficult to slip it out of a pocket).  

I guess you could add to this simple list the suggestion to wear backpacks on your chest!  In the past few years we have seen more younger folks doing this while traveling around Europe.  I guess the best solution is to simply go to Japan where personal crime is very rare.

Hank

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Hank, thanks for the good advice. I have never been to Athens but I've been to Barcelona many times and pickpocketing there is a sport (We lived in Spain for 3 years many years ago). We will be disembarking in Athens after a 25-day cruise so this info is very informative. Pickpockets can ruin your trip for sure so we shall be very vigilant.