RCCL Port Arrival Time - 3PM?

We just checked-in for next week's cruise and noticed there are 'arrival' times and we got 3PM. Is this suggested? I would have checked-in earlier had I known. I have 2 young kids and 3PM will be a problem.

Arrival times can be selected when you check in on line at 45 or so days out.  The earlier you do it, the better times available.  Did you not do on line check in til now?

Enforced arrival times have been standard since the restart last year.

Edited by poocher

Step 1:  I would call RCCL and explain the time is a problem with your young child (e.g. nap time).  Ask for an earlier time that allows for testing. 

Step 2:  Get there at 1pm, and after the test just go in the terminal.  Tell anyone that questions you that you didn't know how much time to allow for testing the 4 yo, and you need to get on the ship for naptime, or it will likely be meltdowntime instead.  They will accommodate you.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, poocher said:

Sorry, but what if everyone did that?  Earlier times were available if OP had checked in earlier.  

We do not penalize people with small children: we help them.  They are special cases.

I had an experience on a bus in Barbados when my youngest was under 3.  An elderly gentleman carried my son on his lap for the entire crowded, long bus trip.  I made a promise to myself to pay it forward from then on. 

Yes, "everyone" should not go early, but traveling with toddlers is different.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

And that’s why you grab an early time instead of waiting til the last minute.  You know you have kids, you know a late boarding time would be a problem, do what is necessary to secure that earlier time.  This should not have been a surprise to OP.

Edited by poocher
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, poocher said:

And that’s why you grab an early time instead of waiting til the last minute.  You know you have kids, you know a late boarding time would be a problem, do what is necessary to secure that earlier time.  This should not have been a surprise to OP.

But it was a surprise.  So, the woulda, coulda, shoulda (in my opinion only) is a little harsh.  I'm here on this board to help people.  There's already too much harshness in the way we treat each other these days.  I believe a little sugar with the bad news is best.  Help solve the problem, then "hey, next time......". 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

Yup, you are right.  It doesn’t help to say you should have cuz it’s too late for that.  So throw yourself on the mercy of the terminal staff.  Explain your situation, smile, be extra polite and hope you get someone like pcur and not an old crab like me!!🥰

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, poocher said:

Yup, you are right.  It doesn’t help to say you should have cuz it’s too late for that.  So throw yourself on the mercy of the terminal staff.  Explain your situation, smile, be extra polite and hope you get someone like pcur and not an old crab like me!!🥰

HA!  You sound like a "soft-shell crab" to me, poocher!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, pcur said:

But it was a surprise.  So, the woulda, coulda, shoulda (in my opinion only) is a little harsh.  I'm here on this board to help people.  There's already too much harshness in the way we treat each other these days.  I believe a little sugar with the bad news is best.  Help solve the problem, then "hey, next time......". 

You're more correct than I am. 

I'm a firm believer in the 5 P's   (6 actually but one of them can't be used on this site)

Prior Planning Prevents Poor Performance.

Edited by klfrodo
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, poocher said:

Seriously???  My friend, once a passenger is in the terminal and in the embarkation process, unless they don't have the correct and necessary documents, they are getting on the cruise ship.  The ship will incur fines if they do not leave on time.  it is to the cruise line's benefit that all passengers are embarked as quickly as possible so the ship can sail on time.

In Seattle, staff is instructed to pull out of line (after 1 pm) any family who has young children, in case those kids need to be tested at the pier.  If a child between the age of 2 to 11 is unvaccinated, not only are they required to arrive at the port with a negative Covid test, but they are required to have a test at the pier to make absolutely sure they are not currently testing positive.  This is done to protect passengers like yourself.

Your view on accommodating these families is shortsighted and unbecoming of a reasonable adult.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Really?  My comment was that there was a method for getting an earlier time which OP did not avail him/herself of and that they should not necessarily expect an accommodation just because the time they got is inconvenient.  PCUR is right & I hope they can be accommodated but to suggest I am an unreasonable adult???  Especially given the many posts here about passengers being made to wait outside because they arrived too soon and check in times being strictly enforced?  What if they get there early & have to wait in the heat outside the terminal?  There’s no guarantee they can get in prior to their scheduled time.

31 minutes ago, Sam Ting said:

It’s called traveling and the world does not revolve around you. If the child cannot handle it, then perhaps you should leave it home.  

you need a hug or Jesus or both. 

anyhow, I’m just looking for alternatives. If not possible fine but posts like this from keyboarders don’t help 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, pcur said:

Step 1:  I would call RCCL and explain the time is a problem with your young child (e.g. nap time).  Ask for an earlier time that allows for testing. 

Step 2:  Get there at 1pm, and after the test just go in the terminal.  Tell anyone that questions you that you didn't know how much time to allow for testing the 4 yo, and you need to get on the ship for naptime, or it will likely be meltdowntime instead.  They will accommodate you.

thanks I will go this route and hope for the best 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, sagosto63 said:

Wow harsh crowd. Anyhow. I’m unaware of the new rules which is why I wasn’t in a rush to check in. We did a last minute book as we all had covid about a month ago.

Well I apologize as I didn’t mean to dump on you.  Hope you have all recovered & have a great time.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, poocher said:

Well I apologize as I didn’t mean to dump on you.  Hope you have all recovered & have a great time.

Good for you.  I will apologize for suggesting a statement was 'unbecoming'.

What a nice CC community! 

• Haha 1

My parents are traveling with us on our cruise.  I don't know if they have a preference on check in time, but we are sailing from Bayonne.  Is it totally random when the lines are bad, or is there a time you'd recommend is likelier to avoid the crowds?

Also, to the OP I've taken 7 cruises, 4 with young children (my next will be my 5th with young kids).  This is my first time sailing on RC.  Until I read your post, I had no idea I needed to check in 45 days early to secure a desired check in time.  So thanks for helping me with my cruise and I hope everything works out for you.

Edited by kitkat343
  • Like 3

So here's a question...where do people learn that they need to check-in online and select a boarding time and that the earlier you do check-in, the better selection of boarding times are available?  I only know about this from CC.  Maybe there is some "fine print" in the booking?  The only thing I see is this:  "Online Check-In: Due to government regulations requiring cruise lines to submit final departure manifests at least 60 minutes prior to sailing, guests are requested to complete online check-in at the cruise line’s website no later than three days prior to sailing. "