Picture-A-Week 2022 - Week 25

pierces

Pictures taken between Monday, June 20 and Sunday, June 26.

Finally back home with a bunch of photos to share. Do you have any you want to share?

Rules: See above

That's it. This isn't a contest.

All photos taken this week are welcome (not just cruising).

Prizes will not be awarded. Discovering the joy of photography is the prize.

The idea is to get folks out using their cameras for more than vacations and toddler birthdays.

Post one. Post many. Up to you.

Have fun with your camera and share your fun with others!

An odd week. Not photographically friendly. Three quarters of Monday was spent in an airport or on a plane and work returned to the daily schedule Tuesday morning. Kim had started feeling stuffy on the trip home and Tuesday found her fatigued and burning through Kleenex. The stuffy nose descended on me in the AM and the fatigue hit that afternoon. Opened the box, took the test and officially started celebrating our future hybrid immunity granted by recovering from Covid-19. By Friday, we both felt pretty normal, but a second test came up positive. That ruled out the Friday night party for Matthew’s birthday and Jackie’s on Saturday. This was my little solidarity party in absentia, Friggin’ Covid... 

In Absentia

875679339_2022-25InAbsentia.thumb.jpg.fbfcfecd13b23dceca162a3986cd7a06.jpg

Dave

• Like 4

Yep - been there, done that.  The Covid thing was more of an annoyance for me than anything else - never got any really bad symptoms - just nose and throat...but those positive tests just blast all plans!

Fortunately for me, no travel or Covid issues getting in the way this past weekend - just had to march around with the temperature at 98 and humidity exceeding 80% - for heat indexes soaring past 120...then flee before the thunderstorms arrived and hit me with lightning.

Here's some of the wetlands activity from this past Saturday:

Black-necked stilt flying past me:

original.jpg

Green heron standing on the rail, looking annoyed at me approaching - since so few people are in the wetlands, the birds think they can take over the boardwalk:

original.jpg

Double-crested cormorant closeup with its beautiful eyes:

original.jpg

Cute black-bellied whistling duckling:

original.jpg

Smooth looking pied-billed grebe, wet from a dive, yet managing to sit on the mirrored water without a ripple:

original.jpg

A cloudless sulphur butterfly:

original.jpg

The beautiful male least bittern on a branch over the ewater:

original.jpg

And he's on those branches over the water because he can use his secret jack-in-the-box neck to stab down at fish below, for a nice meal:

original.jpg

• Like 6

16 hours ago, zackiedawg said:

Fortunately for me, no travel or Covid issues getting in the way this past weekend - just had to march around with the temperature at 98 and humidity exceeding 80% - for heat indexes soaring past 120...then flee before the thunderstorms arrived and hit me with lightning.

That actually sounds worse than our experience with Covid! 🙂

It did result in the usual great wildlife pictures, so probably worth it.

Dave

20 minutes ago, pierces said:

That actually sounds worse than our experience with Covid! 🙂

It did result in the usual great wildlife pictures, so probably worth it.

Dave

By the way...the one strange Covid effect I got other than the cold stuff was - even before I was feeling any symptoms, my taste buds went wacko.  Drinking a sweet tea, I thought I got a bad batch as it tasted like someone put in vinegar instead of sugar.  A Coke tasted the same.  That night, the cold like symptoms hit.  The taste thing lasted 3 days, fading a bit on day 3 - basically anything that was supposed to be sweet tasted like vinegar...even things you don't think of as 'sweet' like tomato sauce or cheeses.  I spent 3 days eating mostly bread and water because everything else tasted horrible!

Thank you on the sympathies for the heat and humidity - I'm sure many would agree with you and I can't disagree myself!  As a former Californian, I miss the concept of dry heat.  And that you can have a day that hits 110 degrees, go outside and not sweat...and that night, you can open the windows because it drops into the 60s.  Here, we hit 98 in the day, and 82 at night...we don't really ever cool down!

(and thanks on the photos comments too!)

• Like 1