New Hilton Papeete & Tahiti Nui

Has anyone stayed at the Hilton?  It looks pretty convenient.  I booked the Hilton and a hotel downtown, Tahiti Nui, as we arrive in the evening two days prior to sailing.  We are port on Moorea two days and are staying on Bora Bora post cruise so we will rest for a day in Papeete precruise and enjoy the awesome food trucks.  Anyone with knowledge of the two hotels?

We have the Hilton booked for December with fingers crossed.  We are tired of the very tired Intercontinental.  It's quite the party hotel and management doesn't seem to care. Our neighboring  OWB was packed with this huge party and blasted their music all day. We left around 6 to catch out flight, so I cant report on the evening. The pools are full of people on cheap packages from LA drinking up a storm or lots of screaming kids. 20210715_165034.thumb.jpg.0caea0c817b3dbd962c4af8d7ca06185.jpg For the record the OWB was a much nicer room than anything in the main hotel.

I've stayed at the IC Tahiti at least a 15 times  ... nothing like the previous poster mentioned for us, not saying it didn't happen to him but it's likely rare as it's never happen to us over the 'decades'.

The IC has been going through major renovations the last few years. The IC is looking fine with the exception of the last few areas being renovated. 

The Hilton is shiny and new .... the rooms and public places are nice and the location is good. However, it doesn't have the same Polynesian vibe as the IC nor does it have OWB's. The IC property is more expansive.

If you like new and a bit more modern stay at the Hilton. If you want the more Polynesian vibe atay at the IC. 

• Like 2

In February, we stopped by the Hilton Tahiti and walked through the public spaces. It looks completely new (it's an older hotel that was closed for many years). This is a very nice Hilton resort property, in a very convenient location. I would be happy to stay here.

I would not stay in a downtown Papeete hotel. It's not a very attractive area IMHO - busy, noisy, lots of concrete.  The Tahiti Nui is right on one of the busiest arterials in Papeete. It will have constant traffic noise. Have a look on Google maps street view. But if you want to be in walking distance of downtown, I'd stay at the Fare Suisse B&B.

Edited by Mercruiser

9 hours ago, Tahitianbigkahuna said:

I've stayed at the IC Tahiti at least a 15 times  ... nothing like the previous poster mentioned for us, not saying it didn't happen to him but it's likely rare as it's never happen to us over the 'decades'.

The IC has been going through major renovations the last few years. The IC is looking fine with the exception of the last few areas being renovated. 

The Hilton is shiny and new .... the rooms and public places are nice and the location is good. However, it doesn't have the same Polynesian vibe as the IC nor does it have OWB's. The IC property is more expansive.

If you like new and a bit more modern stay at the Hilton. If you want the more Polynesian vibe atay at the IC. 

Thank for your alternate view. Good to know they are working on renovation. Up until last summer we never had any issues at IC and except for the tired rooms enjoyed our stay.  After 3 bad stays last year I was happy to see the Hilton option.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, highplanesdrifters said:

Thank for your alternate view. Good to know they are working on renovation. Up until last summer we never had any issues at IC and except for the tired rooms enjoyed our stay.  After 3 bad stays last year I was happy to see the Hilton option.

Competition is always good for the consumer 😉

• Like 1

So, this hotel is on the site of several older ones.  Can anyone remember the names?  I've been in one or more of them, but the names elude me--Sofitel, Maeva something?  Hotels in FP have a very limited lifespan--the beautiful Pearl on Manihi where we stayed more than 20 years ago was abandoned to the weather some time ago, now just ruins I suppose.  I remember when the Radisson opened in Arue, east of downtown, and it was brand-spanking new.  It wasn't many years later that people started  complaining it was run down.  Then it closed and I believe is now an apartment hotel of some sort.

Thanks everyone for the info.  We will probably stay at the Hilton.  We arrive on a Thurs evening and sail on Sat so we really only have Friday in Papeete.  This is really bad, but my only must do for Papeete is an evening at the food trucks at the waterfront. I can still taste the crepe from 4 years ago!  Other than that, I’ll go to the market and get some flowers, maybe rent a car and drive to Tahiti Iti but it’s just an “adjust to the time change day”

We are staying in an OW bungalow at the SR on Bora Bora for a week post sailing so I was not really looking at the IC as we will have an authentic Polynesian experience both there and on the ship.

thanks again!

• Like 3

• 2 months later...

Last week, my hubby and I stayed at the Hilton.  My daughter stayed at the Intercontinental prior to our arrival.  The Hilton looked newer.  The beds very comfortable, lobby is pretty and the bathrooms are larger.  My daughter preferred the intercontinental because it was more “resort like” with a beach and outdoor entertainment.  She also stayed in an OWB.  The Hilton had the advantage of being across the street from a small mall with a supermarket and pharmacy.  Either one would be good for a 1 or 2 night stay.  The three of us agreed that the service was lacking at both resorts and the food was fair.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 3 months later...