Epic Southern Caribbean vs Breakaway Belize Roatan

Hello! Just looking for any help with my analysis paralysis. My husband and I are deciding between these 2 ships and itineraries for Jan 2023. The Epic from San Juan has 5 stops -  ABC islands as well as St Kitts and St Lucia, however the port times for St Lucia is 1-8p and Bonaire is  only 6am-1p.  The prices are higher than the Breakaway out of New Orleans -- on Breakaway we could do a spa suite for $600 less per person than on Epic and it's a newer ship. We wouldn't splurge for the spa club suite on Epic. Breakaway sails to 4 ports - Roatan, Belize and Cozumel / Costa Maya - One less stop than on the Epic and I've been to Cozumel port recently.  Any opinions to help sway me? My husband thinks more ports the better, but then im interested in spa club suite and newer ship! Thank you 🙂

Hubby and I are doing the San Juan to ABC islands first week of February. We thought the prices were really good for a southern Caribbean cruise…especially if you take advantage of the air promo.  We normally book a club mini suite but we opted for large balcony. Our logic was it will be warm in the islands so we’ll spend more time outdoors. And with 5 islands we’ll be off the ship a lot.  Sounds like you and your husband have different desires for your cruise…lol.  You want the luxury of the cruise ship amenities and he’s more interested in where it goes.  Either way you will enjoy your cruise.  

44 minutes ago, colettelmarkey@gmail.com said:

Hello! Just looking for any help with my analysis paralysis. My husband and I are deciding between these 2 ships and itineraries for Jan 2023. The Epic from San Juan has 5 stops -  ABC islands as well as St Kitts and St Lucia, however the port times for St Lucia is 1-8p and Bonaire is  only 6am-1p.  The prices are higher than the Breakaway out of New Orleans -- on Breakaway we could do a spa suite for $600 less per person than on Epic and it's a newer ship. We wouldn't splurge for the spa club suite on Epic. Breakaway sails to 4 ports - Roatan, Belize and Cozumel / Costa Maya - One less stop than on the Epic and I've been to Cozumel port recently.  Any opinions to help sway me? My husband thinks more ports the better, but then im interested in spa club suite and newer ship! Thank you 🙂

This probably isn't much help for making your decision...but the Breakaway is a better ship....but the Itinerary for Epic is far better.

We were in a similar situation, trying to decide between the Epic and the Encore for January.  We love the Encore (and the Breakaway/BA+ class ships), but the Epic won for us this time because of the ABC islands.  We opted to base our decision  on the ports, instead of the ship.   Having 2 additional ports on the Epic is a nice bonus, since all 5 of the ports are places we've never been.  (As opposed to our Encore option, which only offered us 2 ports that we haven't visited yet).  

HTH-

So here are my thoughts.  I have been on both ships.  As a ship, I like the Breakaway better and usually I say go for the better deal.   But if you have never been to the ABC's or Southern Caribbean and can fit it in your budget, go for it.  I did that same Epic Southern Caribbean cruise as my last one prior to the pandemic and loved it.  I say, as others have, I would base your decision on the itinerary and go for the ABC's.

• Like 1

Fun question...as others have noted, a lot of this depends on what you want/value in a cruise, so my observations may or may not apply...but we have been on both ships (on those itineraries) in the last two years. Epic in Feb 2020 just before shutdown, and Breakaway last week (same ports, but out of Miami rather than NOLA).

My DW and I would both choose the Southern Caribbean on Epic over Western Caribbean on Breakaway. We did like BA a bit better than Epic, but the ports on the Southern Caribbean itinerary were much more interesting (for us) than the Western ports. For us, the newer ship didn't offset the ports. Both cruises were great, by the way. My view is that almost any cruise ship beats my home office!

Either way, have a fantastic time.

• Like 1

I have sailed on the Epic out of San Juan and done the other ports via the Joy out of Miami. I'd pick the Epic if I had to pick which to do again. One thing to note is that there are so many different islands in the southern Caribbean that if your ship can't get into one (high waves), they might just take you to a different one. Ended up on Dominique and Martinique instead of St. Kitts  and St. Maarten (I think?). That's better than completely canceling your port day. I also really love San Juan. I recommend flying in early and doing some exploring in Puerto Rico. Recommend: https://www.viator.com/tours/San-Juan/Let-me-show-you-MY-island/d903-68888P1 - they'll pick you up at your hotel and drop you off at the port.

Someday, though, I am going to actually get to go on a cruise out of NOLA on the Breakaway. Cancelled in January 2020 (which is how I ended up on the Epic) and then the pandemic cancelled my January 2021 NOLA plans and I ended up back at St. Lucia which I had loved when we stopped there from the Epic.

20200110_150402.jpg

Edited by prov2727
  • Thanks 1

unless you're into scuba diving, there isnt much going on in bonaire. curacao,however is picturesque and a beautiful place to be, been to aruba a few times, and not very impressed, wouldnt go again, but i have always wanted to see st lucia and st kitts so i would personally opt for that itinerary.

been to belize, roaton, costa maya cozumel a few times also. loved the ruins in cozumel, belize and costa maya. it was many years ago, and at time there wasnt a lotto do in roaton bay. if i had to take that cruise again, id probably just get off the ship and wander around. given the 2 choices, i'd opt for the epic.we had that cruise booked for the beginning of this year, but due to unforeseen circumstances, we had to cancel. i still would love to see st lucia, even if that was the only port. while i would love to check out the breakaway, we've been on the getaway 3x's alrady, so it isnt on my primary bucket list.

all that being said however, which ever you choose, have a great time and "BON VOYAGE"

Thank you so much all! I just went ahead and booked the Southern Caribbean with Epic. Booked a mini club suite on 14 outside the spa and will just get a spa pass or maybe I'll be too tired from all our adventuring I won't care! I'll definitely spend extra couple nights in San Juan to explore. So excited and thank you! 

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, colettelmarkey@gmail.com said:

Thank you so much all! I just went ahead and booked the Southern Caribbean with Epic. Booked a mini club suite on 14 outside the spa and will just get a spa pass or maybe I'll be too tired from all our adventuring I won't care! I'll definitely spend extra couple nights in San Juan to explore. So excited and thank you! 

keep-calm-because-you-made-the-right-cho

• Haha 1

41 minutes ago, complawyer said:

if it's in your price range, try and book the sheraton san juan. its almost right across from the pier.

and dont miss the bacardi factory!

NOPE. NCL does not sail out of that pier. They use the Pan American pier across the way when embarking. If you book at the Sheraton, expect a taxi ride the next morning, just like you would have to do at any hotel.

You made the right choice. Epic Southern Caribbean has much better itinerary than the Western Caribbean. I did the Southern Caribbean on the Epic two years ago and really love it. You can see my review here.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, colettelmarkey@gmail.com said:

Glad you chose the Epic.  FWIW— Be sure you are aware of what’s on Deck 15 above you. It’s typically pool deck and since this is a warm weather cruise it will be an active deck.  Spice H2O is on Deck 15 AFT and tends to party up at night. You may already know this.

25 minutes ago, colettelmarkey@gmail.com said:

I think I chose under the marketplace!...and was hoping that would be a quiet spot. I've never cruised NCL so am not sure, and yikes you are right I don't want to be under the party. do you think I should move to 13 - same $$, I picked 14159 

Screenshot_20220623-161445.png

Screenshot_20220623-161017.png

You need to decide for yourself. I’ve read mixed reviews about noise. Me, personally, I would be fine taking one flight of stairs to get to the spa to have more assurance that my cabin didn’t experience unwanted noise.  Now if this was a cold weather cruise…probably not an issue.  Whatever you do…happy cruising!

• Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, laudergayle said:

You need to decide for yourself. I’ve read mixed reviews about noise. Me, personally, I would be fine taking one flight of stairs to get to the spa to have more assurance that my cabin didn’t experience unwanted noise.  Now if this was a cold weather cruise…probably not an issue.  Whatever you do…happy cruising!

Ok I went down to 13233 (has a nice ring to it) which was my original pick b4 the spa obsession took over haha! Thanks for advice!

• Like 1

On 6/23/2022 at 2:14 PM, colettelmarkey@gmail.com said:

Great choice! We have sailed on the Epic 7 times and enjoy the ship. And the itinerary is super!

BTW: The Thermal Suite on the Epic is the best in the fleet!

Edited by BirdTravels
  • Like 1