New entry program for Europe begins May 2023

The application process will be via a "largely automated IT system," with approval granted "within minutes," for an estimated 95% of applicants, according to a new memo issued by the EU. The maximum time needed for approval could be up to a month in "very exceptional cases." Anyone whose application is denied will have the right to appeal.

ETIAS authorization be valid for an unlimited number of entries over three years. However, holders must abide by immigration and overstay rules. Currently, third-party nationals cannot stay more than 90 days in the bloc in its entirety, for every 180 day period.

The cost: €7 ($7.35) for those aged between 18 and 70. It's not yet clear if others will have a reduced rate or will be able to apply for free. In comparison, the US charges $21 for an ESTA authorization.

The start date for applications has not yet been announced.

https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/etias-eu-visa-waiver/index.html#:~:text=The EU has announced the,United States' scheme%2C ESTA.

It's very similar to the ESTA we have to cough up for to enter the USA, so I blam the USA for giving the EU the idea 😉

But to confirm the question above, any cruise that stops in a country in the EU will require to have one. I've a cruise from Southampton in May 2023, so will be interesting to see if we'll be before or after their start date. If we need it then it's going to be the fun experiencing of using a very new and probably buggy system 😕

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, beardedladies said:

It's very similar to the ESTA we have to cough up for to enter the USA, so I blam the USA for giving the EU the idea 😉

But to confirm the question above, any cruise that stops in a country in the EU will require to have one. I've a cruise from Southampton in May 2023, so will be interesting to see if we'll be before or after their start date. If we need it then it's going to be the fun experiencing of using a very new and probably buggy system 😕

A lot of countries do this, including Mexico.  Most countries have different names, but really the same thing.  Have tourist pay for some of the cost of entering the country

15 hours ago, beardedladies said:

At least they can’t blame Brexit!!!

Steep rise in the cost of ESTA… it was only $14 last year! 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, little britain said:

At least they can’t blame Brexit!!!

Are you sure? The plans for ETIAS were started in 2016, the same year as the Brexit vote. Maybe just a little attempt to get back at the British? 😉 

(P.s. off topic but I read in a previous thread that you had some plans to embark on Aruba. Did you ever do that and if so, do you have any tips or things that I should be aware of as I plan to embark on Aruba next year on a HAL cruise (already got permission). 

5 minutes ago, Sancho_proudfoot said:

€7 for 3 years unlimited entries is hardly going to break the bank.........

Not at all, but it as an extra step we didn't have to take before.  I anticipate a lot of discussions about how to get them and 'I didn't have mine'.

On 6/25/2022 at 3:20 PM, little britain said:

Steep rise in the cost of ESTA… it was only $14 last year! 

Rise was May 21st... I was lucky enough to get it for 14$ in late April for my Hawai´i cruise May 12th.

steamboats