Walking into Cruise Port at Civitavecchia

danv3

We are staying at a hotel in Civitavecchia the night before our cruise in July.  The hotel is closer to the port than the train station (near the archaeological museum).  What is the best way for us to get to the port for embarkation?  We have no mobility issues, so walking is a possibility.  It seems unnecessary to take a taxi <1km, but it also seems like it might not be that easy to just stroll into a secure facility like a port.  I think I've read here that they're no longer using the Largo Della Pace as the meeting point as they may have pre-COVID.  This map (https://civitavecchia.portmobility.it/sites/default/files/file_uploads/nuova_mappa_sito_09_09_21_1631517703.pdf) and the port website suggest that there's pedestrian entrance near the fort, but I wonder whether that's actually open (especially for embarkation).  Appreciate any guidance you all may have.

Yes you can still walk in and out of the port.

Its a long walk dragging luggage in the heat.

Not far inside the port is a free or maybe a few euros shuttle to the ships. Some cruise ships are docked quite far away from the cruise entrance.  The roads and walking areas as I remember from earlier this month are often cobble stones. Most people struggled even to walk as far as the shuttle.

You will see many other cruisers in the area and can check it out beforehand. 

You are correct that most ports don’t want people just wandering around for both safety and security reasons.  However there will be pedestrian entrances.  I would suggest you walk to a pedestrian entrance and then take the shuttle from there to your ship.  As previously mentioned, even if you are allowed to walk inside of the port, the distance from the entrance to the ship can be substantial.  A few years ago I walked from the train station to a pedestrian entrance in Civitavecchia and found the walk pleasant but I enjoy walking and don’t mind pulling a rolling suitcase.

I walked there many times. And yes, the fort entrance is usually open. It depends on where your ship docks. Terminal 25 can´t be reached by foot - there walking is prohibited. The terminals 10 - 13 can be walked. But be aware that it is definitely quite a walk especially when your ship is at 13. I´ve never done it with bags. 

steamboats

Thanks everyone.  If we go this route, I'm definitely envisioning walking into the port area and then getting on the internal shuttle as opposed to walking all the way to the ship.

1 hour ago, danv3 said:

Thanks everyone.  If we go this route, I'm definitely envisioning walking into the port area and then getting on the internal shuttle as opposed to walking all the way to the ship.

I think the problem with this is that the shuttles would pick up at a location either outside the port or right at one of the entrances, which may not be the same entrance you would be walking into the port at.  They used to pick up at the entrance by the fort, which was a convenient entry for those walking into the port, but I don't think they do that any more.

1 hour ago, danv3 said:

The main problem is that you can only get on the internal shuttle at this new place far North. Although there is a stop close to the Fortezza the busses usually don´t stop there to pick up people. Those stops are for those who have their car at the parking lot there.

steamboats

Danv3: STEAMBOATS is correct: Inside the Port’s Chain-link fence everyone is hauled to your ship’s gangplank. HOWEVER, if you want to trundle luggage down the chaotic street from Hotel to Port it will be a pain. Your Hotel bellboy will get you transport. Take it..

• 3 weeks later...

In case this helps anyone in the future: It was possible to walk into the port area by the fort (near McDonald's) and then walk to a stop for the internal shuttle.  We saw a number of people doing this as well as a few who tried to walk to the ship.  While doable, I don't think either is preferable. 

We ended up having our hotel arrange a taxi for embarkation morning.  The only challenge there was that because taxis are busy taking people to and from Rome/FCO on a turnaround day, it was hard to get one to make a short local run (Civi city center to port).  But we got one around 1145 and were on board by 1215.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/16/2022 at 5:35 AM, danv3 said:

In case this helps anyone in the future: It was possible to walk into the port area by the fort (near McDonald's) and then walk to a stop for the internal shuttle.  We saw a number of people doing this as well as a few who tried to walk to the ship.  While doable, I don't think either is preferable. 

We ended up having our hotel arrange a taxi for embarkation morning.  The only challenge there was that because taxis are busy taking people to and from Rome/FCO on a turnaround day, it was hard to get one to make a short local run (Civi city center to port).  But we got one around 1145 and were on board by 1215.

We are staying near the Cathedral which is very close to the gate near the fort (and McDonalds). We will only have carry ons and small backpacks. Do you still reccomend not walking into where the shuttle stops? We are on Celebrity but not sure where exactly they dock.

Edited by JuliaMS
typo

There are no guarantees, but looking at the schedule for this week the Celebrity ships all seem to be at either 12 or 13: Crociere in Partenza al Porto di Civitavecchia: Agosto 2022 | Port Mobility Civitavecchia

Worst case that would mean a walk of about 2.5 km/one and a half miles from the fort entrance.  Best case would be about 1.3 km/just under a mile.

1 minute ago, euro cruiser said:

There are no guarantees, but looking at the schedule for this week the Celebrity ships all seem to be at either 12 or 13: Crociere in Partenza al Porto di Civitavecchia: Agosto 2022 | Port Mobility Civitavecchia

Worst case that would mean a walk of about 2.5 km/one and a half miles from the fort entrance.  Best case would be about 1.3 km/just under a mile.

what about walking to the shuttle stop near the fort gate to the port?

It's not clear if you can get a shuttle from the stop near the fort out to the terminal near slip #12.  In the past you could not, then you could, so who knows what the story is today.

This page on the Port Mobility web site suggests that it is possible, but I don't know how updated this information is: Shuttles | Port Mobility Civitavecchia

The green line shuttle is the one that goes to piers 10-13 terminal.  Pick up is at the Molo del Bicchiere stop, while drop off is at Bramante.  Both are near the fort.

51 minutes ago, euro cruiser said:

It's not clear if you can get a shuttle from the stop near the fort out to the terminal near slip #12.  In the past you could not, then you could, so who knows what the story is today.

That's what I was hoping to find out from the recent travelers. According to their web page it picks up there - that's where the map cam from. But, someone said they were not stopping there earlier this year.

Edited by JuliaMS

36 minutes ago, JuliaMS said:

That's what I was hoping to find out from the recent travelers. According to their web page it picks up there - that's where the map cam from. But, someone said they were not stopping there earlier this year.

They did not appear to be stopping at that location in July.  The only place nearby that I saw the shuttle stopping was the dark blue spot just above the fort in that picture.  That's where I saw people with suitcases walking to and getting onto buses.  

Well, as I said earlier pick up is at the Molo del Bicchiere stop, while drop off is at Bramante.  Both are near the fort.  Often folks only see one of the stops and assume that they can't use it, not understanding that one is only drop off and the other is only pick up. 

All that said, my experience with Civitavecchia is that there are no hard and fast rules, unfortunately.  Go as prepared with information as you can but be prepared to be flexible and adjust on the spot.

Reading this thread is part of the reason I love CC.  You will not find such good info anywhere else on the Internet.   So for the folks that are staying near the Fort entrance and are thinking of walking I would suggest the following.   If it is a very nice day (weather wise) and not too hot or little chance of rain for the next couple of hours, walking is an option.  But you need to assume there will be no shuttle (walking in by the Fort) and you may well need to walk all the way to your ship, dragging your luggage.  The good news is that the entire walk is flat.  DW and I have done the walk (numerous times) but never with luggage.  As an in-shape senior there is no way I would want to do the walk with luggage.  

What are your other options?  When you check-in talk to the desk clerk (or manager).   It might make sense to walk to the train station where you can catch a shuttle (I am not sure of the latest scheme and whether you would need to change shuttles to get to your ship.   Your hotel might even be able to arrange for transportation direct to your ship.   The last time we stayed in Civitavecchia (not my favorite place to spend a night) our hotel actually provided a van (no charge) to get us to our ship.   While DW and I can easily handle a several mile walk, I am not happy doing such a walk with even a carry-on (mine can be quite heavy).

Hnak