Iona specialty restaurants closed?

newbie cruissy

48 minutes ago, molecrochip said:

They could be closed, fully booked or available to book on board.

So when listed as "Available to book on board" can one assume that they will be open? This is the new message on my online booking. 

Edited by newbie cruissy

11 minutes ago, newbie cruissy said:

So when listed as "Available to book on board" can one assume that they will be open, as this message is on my personaliser now?

Have just checked my personaliser.  I have no idea if this is new or always been the case but at the top you will probably see:  "However, if below your options read ‘Available to book on board’, this means that bookings for speciality restaurants for your cruise are not bookable before your holiday. In this instance, please speak to the teams on board who will advise on the most up to date availability".  

Given how "careful"  P&O are with words, no I don't think you can make any such assumption. As Moley said earlier, they could be closed, open or fully booked. I for one have had enough and will be moving my very expensive (for me) 1 off cruise to much later.  Hopefully by then they will be providing whats in the brochure or at least telling us upfront what they won't be delivering .  

Edited by chrisg1uk
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, chrisg1uk said:

Have just checked my personaliser.  I have no idea if this is new or always been the case but at the top you will probably see:  "However, if below your options read ‘Available to book on board’, this means that bookings for speciality restaurants for your cruise are not bookable before your holiday. In this instance, please speak to the teams on board who will advise on the most up to date availability".  

Given how "careful"  P&O are with words, no I don't think you can make any such assumption. As Moley said earlier, they could be closed, open or fully booked. I for one have had enough and will be moving my very expensive (for me) 1 off cruise to much later.  Hopefully by then they will be providing whats in the brochure or at least telling us upfront what they won't be delivering .  

Hadn't noticed that, and yes it is new. The wording changed from "Enquire on board" to "Available to book on board" in the last day or so. Odd wording though given the new explanation. The "Enquire..." message would be more appropriate if there's that uncertainty. The "Available...." message implies that once on board you can definately book. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, newbie cruissy said:

Hadn't noticed that, and yes it is new. The wording changed from "Enquire on board" to "Available to book on board" in the last day or so. Odd wording though given the new explanation. The "Enquire..." message would be more appropriate if there's that uncertainty. The "Available...." message implies that once on board you can definately book. 

Its this sentence that concerns me most:   In this instance, please speak to the teams on board who will advise on the most up to date availability".  

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, chrisg1uk said:

I for one accept that not everything will be back to pre pandemic levels and sympathise. But that sympathy will only continue if I feel we as customers are being treated with respect and openness - which I doubt at the moment.  The lack on board photographers, the loss of the turndown service in the evening, people who have paid a significant premium to choose their cabin being forced to change without compensation are all examples of changes that have been initially highlighted on social media.  The speciality restaurants form a very important part of some customers very expensive holidays - it is not surprising that folk will get upset.         

That’s what I was going to say. I think most people accept that the pandemic has changed everything, and things won’t ever be quite the same again. However, honestly and openness from P&O goes a long way. People want to know where they stand, and clear communication would be appreciated.

I cancelled my Iona cruise that was booked next year for various reasons, one being what I felt was poor communication from P&O, and that was before this latest episode. As the cruise had been moved a couple of times, my deposit was overpaid, so I am due a refund of £570. I was told 28 days for a refund. Naturally, no payment has been made. I wouldn’t mind if I had been told that it would take 60 days and I received my refund in the promised timescale - that would be fine. But I was given a timescale I knew full well that wouldn’t happen. I’ll give it another week, and will then get my travel agent to start chasing. But I know that communication to P&O seems to go into a black hole these days, and there’ll be no one who will take ownership of this for me. Also, my travel agent is not very pro-active these days, so I’m probably going to have a helluva job getting my money back, originally paid in October 2019.

The way things are going, I will be  unlikely to book another P&O Cruise. After 400 nights onboard, that makes me sad, but that’s the way I feel. I won’t be using the same travel agent either, they were spot on pre-Covid. I don’t expect perfection now, but things have slid downhill to far for my liking.

• Like 3

Absolutely. Clear, honest communication is worth a lot - not least, for me, if I am to continue to be loyal towards P&O. But boy do they make it hard.

I get how challenging things are and how things can change etc, but I’ve yet to see they have much capacity for clarity and transparency. The tendency for them to throw out vague “spin” in their responses is staggering.

Edited by Camberley
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, molecrochip said:

What I am seeing more and more is a passenger expectation that things are back to the pre-pandemic ways of working. This is despite being told that there are changes. Unfortunately, I fear we have these difficult times for a little longer.

I think the majority hope, rather than expect, that things are getting back to normal. However, we do expect up to date comms to help inform our decisions. To me the P&O comms, on the whole, have been decent: The website with Before you sail info on Kids club situation; mask situation; updates on what is needed to disembark in ports; vaccination & testing requirements etc.... 

OK, the comms have not been perfect and 100% up to date but I felt enough to gauge what is going on and therefore enough to make a decision on what the cruise would be like and what could happen. In these times I personally accept the decent level of comms provided.

However, the closing of all speciality restaurants is a complete curveball to me as there was no mention anywhere (from what I can see) that it could happen, or will be happening during x period, and no offer of compensation/swapping cruises. So can all pools be permanently closed? All entertainment removed;? Spa completely closed etc...? These items are all part of the package we have signed on for and we understand if bits (e.g. 1 restaurant, 1 pool etc..) are out of action temporarily but not the whole thing for the whole cruise.

I think the majority of passengers are  reasonable people - Just inform us and give us options based on the new decisions being made.

The decision to bring Arcadia back and reduce service levels and experiences onboard all ships, with no comms, will just annoy passengers; cause more work/stress for reduced onboard crew; lead to more passengers leaving P&O for other cruise lines.

• Like 7

If there's no definitive answer by the time my balance is due for Christmas I'm jumping ship to Celebrity for Christmas.  Much as I like the convenience of bonded luggage the risk of being without Epicurean or Limelight for Christmas would ruin everything.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, molecrochip said:

I must remember, quick replies are never the thing to do. Sorry to anyone offended. 

I was focused on the comment that it was false advertising by showing restaurants that P&O know are closed. My point, made badly, was that cruise personaliser doesn't list these restaurants as open. It just lists the restaurants that are on the ship. They could be closed, fully booked or available to book on board.

What I am seeing more and more is a passenger expectation that things are back to the pre-pandemic ways of working. This is despite being told that there are changes. Unfortunately, I fear we have these difficult times for a little longer.

The reason people are expecting things to be "normal" is because P&O are charging them money well in excess of the pandemic rates.  Ironically the very things they are shutting are the ones that cost extra money.  My last P&O cruise was good "under the circumstances" but it was very inferior to the Celebrity cruise I've just completed.

Passengers rightly expect some improvement on a year ago because P&O are charging them a premium and are wording things to insinuate near normality which it clearly isn't.   The question is why are P&O struggling so badly not why are the passengers expecting too much.

Clearly other lines are doing much better and the passenger deserves to be told why and what's different for P&O.

• Like 4

9 hours ago, molecrochip said:

Cruise personaliser had been listing 'enquire on board'. That doesn't say open, it says ask.

That is not good enough. They should have the guts to put closed for the food areas not open. People are making excuses for P&O  when there are none.

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

The reason people are expecting things to be "normal" is because P&O are charging them money well in excess of the pandemic rates.  Ironically the very things they are shutting are the ones that cost extra money.  My last P&O cruise was good "under the circumstances" but it was very inferior to the Celebrity cruise I've just completed.

Passengers rightly expect some improvement on a year ago because P&O are charging them a premium and are wording things to insinuate near normality which it clearly isn't.   The question is why are P&O struggling so badly not why are the passengers expecting too much.

Clearly other lines are doing much better and the passenger deserves to be told why and what's different for P&O.

We have been looking at Celebrity for next summer from Barcelona and Athens. The prices aren't quite so horrendous as I first thought. We are on Silhouette, hopefully, In a couple of weeks. If that seems to be up to scratch, we will see what deals are available to book on board. Perhaps the a short infill will go P&O's way. Honesty seems to be lacking.

• Like 1

They can only thinly staff the fleet they have . Venues are closed.  Service reduced.  And yet in December Arvia comes into service with 5000 passengers.  How on earth are they going to staff it and continue to service the rest of the ships.   I think it’s going to be complete shambles.    

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Megabear2 said:

Excellent response.

Just a thought Celebrity and Royal Caribbean offer what they say but gratuities are requested from guests for the crew and I wonder if the no tips required is affecting P&O recruitment.

39 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

Excellent response.

Just a thought Celebrity and Royal Caribbean offer what they say but gratuities are requested from guests for the crew and I wonder if the no tips required is affecting P&O recruitment.

I doubt it as tips are included in the price as such.

57 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

Excellent response.

Celebrity are offering always included which does cover the gratuity along with everything else. They are now selling for 2023 just cruise so payable gratuities on those.

The staff on Edge seemed very happy despite the extension of their contracts.  We tipped on top as they were so good, not something I would normally do if gratuities included.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Yorkypete said:

I doubt it as tips are included in the price as such.

They are but my point is are the crew really getting the extra pay that gratuities either auto or given in envelopes by guests to them.

6 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

Celebrity are offering always included which does cover the gratuity along with everything else. They are now selling for 2023 just cruise so payable gratuities on those.

The staff on Edge seemed very happy despite the extension of their contracts.  We tipped on top as they were so good, not something I would normally do if gratuities included.

I have always paid gratuities and always gave extra in cash.

Gratuities are still added onto every drink and speciality restaurant bill on Celebrity as well as on Royal Caribbean and Princess.

IMO since P&O stopped gratuities I have noticed a difference in the happiness of the crew.

2 hours ago, grapau27 said:

I have always paid gratuities and always gave extra in cash.

Gratuities are still added onto every drink and speciality restaurant bill on Celebrity as well as on Royal Caribbean and Princess.

IMO since P&O stopped gratuities I have noticed a difference in the happiness of the crew.

The always included currently on offer includes the gratuity on drinks and speciality restaurants.  The only extra I has was on the spa.  My total weeks Bill was $68.07!  We had so much OBC we had 5 speciality meals and paid for 2 1/2 excursions with it!

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

The always included currently on offer includes the gratuity on drinks and speciality restaurants.  The only extra I has was on the spa.  My total weeks Bill was $68.07!  We had so much OBC we had 5 speciality meals and paid for 2 1/2 excursions with it!

That sounds fantastic.

16 hours ago, molecrochip said:

I must remember, quick replies are never the thing to do. Sorry to anyone offended. 

I was focused on the comment that it was false advertising by showing restaurants that P&O know are closed. My point, made badly, was that cruise personaliser doesn't list these restaurants as open. It just lists the restaurants that are on the ship. They could be closed, fully booked or available to book on board.

I’m currently on Enchanted Princess and I certainly didn’t expect everything to be the same as pre-covid. But in all honesty, we’ve been delighted to find that little has changed. I appreciate that capacity is only 69% but service is quick and plentiful. All speciality restaurants are open - not that we use them! Full photography service. Evening turndown service as standard. Hot drinks available as part of cabin breakfast. Fantastic entertainment - Rory Bremner, Lucy Porter, Ardal O’hanlon etc. Princess Plus fare provides  excellent value for money. 
As someone else mentioned earlier, it’s possible that they’re trying to impress with this new ship. Whatever - they’ve really impressed us! 

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

MGB2 did you notice if there was roll on/off facilities for wheelchairs to use the tenders?

We did have wheelchair users on board the tender but I'm unsure how they boarded.  The whole scenario is brilliant.  Second deck is the loading area, great wide open space built just for access to board or depart ship.  When it's tender the magic carpet descends from deck fourteen to make a platform.  It was a one step job on foot.  I'm afraid I never thought to ask how the wheelchair users we met boarded.

The tenders are set out in rows of 4 with deep padded pull down seating, incredibly comfortable as everyone has their own dedicated "armchair". Tendering was exceptionally quick at both ports - open tender with no tickets was 45 minutes after call at Portofino and 50 minutes in Cannes.  We had one slight queue returning at Cannes as we just missed the boat.  Very easy to social distance if one wished, tall light and airy as the photos show.

• Like 2