No Skagway

lizinindy

On 6/28/2022 at 9:45 AM, Ombud said:

Yes. Icy Point Strait instead. I've also never been there and I can't find a port guide for it. If any one has a link, I'd be appreciative 

Icy Point Strait is not a community, it is a tourist attraction in the city of Hoonah AK.

1 hour ago, SiliconCruiser said:

Icy Point Strait is not a community, it is a tourist attraction in the city of Hoonah AK.

So its about as 'Alaskan' as Princess Cay is Caribbean? That's disappointing 

13 hours ago, wblotner66 said:

I think it may depend on how many ships in port. Majestic skipped Skagway this week and their day has 4 ships.

image.png.11cdad0406e19fa6363ded7c420be6c5.png

Skagway only has 3 docks with space for 4 ships max.  Yesterday, Royal docked when there were 3 other ships in port (4 total, same as the day before when Majestic skipped). 

12 hours ago, Ombud said:

Basically, but it's not that bad.   The way I remain flexible with this itinerary is, if we are going to ISP then I do whale watching in ISP.   If not, then we do whale watching in Juneau.  Between whale watching, the museum, and the hike, we can make a day of it.   After multiple visits to ISP, though, we start looking at the Patter and checking to see if maybe some events on the ship are more interesting than getting off.

Now that I'm here I just did what I was going to do in Skagway. Sort of. I had planned a hike to Lower Dewey Lake but instead I rode the 1st tram up and had a 1/2 mile walk down. Still trees, open air, very few people.  Then I walked along the water. Rode the tram back up, walked back down. Still got 3 miles in. Pizza onboard. It is what it is. A really pretty area with a free tram and awesome zipline. Unfortunately their Adventure Park is closed (as security reminded me). But once it opens there's a bunch of stuff to do in the trees -- ropes, uneven planks, paths with missing planks, climbing!!

Edited by Ombud

32 minutes ago, Ombud said:

Now that I'm here I just did what I was going to do in Skagway. Sort of. I had planned a hike to Lower Dewey Lake but instead I rode the 1st tram up and had a 1/2 mile walk down. Still trees, open air, very few people.  Then I walked along the water. Rode the tram back up, walked back down. Still got 3 miles in. Pizza onboard. It is what it is. A really pretty area with a free tram and awesome zipline. Unfortunately their Adventure Park is closed (as security reminded me). But once it opens there's a bunch of stuff to do in the trees -- ropes, uneven planks, paths with missing planks, climbing!!

Do you know why the Adventure Park is closed??

21 hours ago, Ombud said:

We were there a few years ago when all they had was the gift shop building that Princess built - and a zip line I think.  We were on a 14 day cruise and I guess they needed fill in ports...

It was announced onboard. At MEET THE CAPTAIN the captain just stated that ISP is not available for the Discovery Princess as 2 other ships will be in that port that day

23 minutes ago, Ombud said:

It was announced onboard as we were leaving Ketchikan. At MEET THE CAPTAIN the captain just stated that ISP is not available for the Discovery Princess next week as 2 other ships will be in that port that day

No idea why it was an incomplete post. Pertinent info in red

It looks like formal decisions have only be made for ships that were supposed to berth at Railroad Dock Forward "RRF" through Sunday.  The Alaska port schedules were just updated yesterday.  So it still seems like they are taking this a day (or days) at a time.  Here's the Skagway port schedule for the next couple of weeks.

image.png.ac43c785b223079457795d4db719d9f6.png

Edited by azbirdmom
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, montgomeryfamily said:

Do any of the dock designations listed above require tendering?

RRA (aft) should require tendering as it's the aft part of the dock that's damaged at its forward end. It's too dangerous to move passengers past the damage as rocks are still coming down off the mountainside.

• Like 1