No Skagway

lizinindy

DiscoveryWe were on the Discovery on June 23rd. We had just docked at 06:00 when at 06:20 there was a loud rumbling and some shaking. The hillside above the pier next to us had sent some huge boulders tumbling down. A security officer received a bruised thigh but thankfully there were no other injuries. There was a huge hole in the pier and it was covered with debris. 13 passengers had disembarked for an early excursion. They would later be returned to the ship via tender. We backed away from the dock. The original plan was just to leave Skagway once the 13 passengers were on board. But, thanks to the quick thinking of Captain John Smith, we were able to dock at the pier past the slide where an RCL ship was supposed to dock. They had not docked yet and the captain asked permission to use their slot and they cancelled Skagway. We then tendered past the slide to the port with 3  Discovery tenders and 3 tenders borrowed from the Nieuw Amsterdam docked next to us. We were ashore on our excursion only 2 hours late. It was a beautiful, sunny day and the captain kept us informed every step of the way. Sorry the next voyages will miss this.

• Like 2

Which dates?  We are on the July 17th sailing and haven't heard anything yet.  The Discovery is scheduled to be at the forward dock which is the one that is out of commission at the moment.  So unless the dock situation is resolved soon or if not, they aren't able to figure out an alternative for us, we may face cancellation of the Skagway port stop.  Have been there 7 times but I would definitely miss it.

We were in Skagway yesterday on the Grand and saw the narrow landslide area.  We docked on the other side of the harbor entrance.   It was closer to downtown not like anything is far away in Skagway. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, WAussieSFO said:

Friends who are on the current Majestic voyage that left Whitter on Saturday for Vancouver let me know that they are now going to Haines instead of Skagway.

Makes sense as they were also scheduled for the forward dock with 3 other ships in port.  Ditto the Royal so I'm expecting that we will hear news that they aren't going to Skagway this week either.

I’m on discovery right now. We are going to icy point from 6 to 6 I believe. I thought we were going to go to Haines since the Haines video on the tv was showing up but they later added the one for icy as well. A lot of people are annoyed. Selfishly I was hoping to go to Haines or icy since I’ve never been. 

Im eating dinner right now in the mdr. Had sockeye salmon and vegan meatballs. Everything I’ve had in the mdr has been excellent. The buffet is standard buffet. Revive there for me has been been terrible for when I’ve wanted bottle water or booze. They have taken wayyyyyy too long to bring them or forgot about me.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, The Collie said:

I’m on discovery right now. We are going to icy point from 6 to 6 I believe. I thought we were going to go to Haines since the Haines video on the tv was showing up but they later added the one for icy as well. A lot of people are annoyed. Selfishly I was hoping to go to Haines or icy since I’ve never been. 

Im eating dinner right now in the mdr. Had sockeye salmon and vegan meatballs. Everything I’ve had in the mdr has been excellent. The buffet is standard buffet. Revive there for me has been been terrible for when I’ve wanted bottle water or booze. They have taken wayyyyyy too long to bring them or forgot about me.

So Skagway is canceled for your sailing?

We went to Haines on our first Alaskan cruise, taking the fast ferry over from Skagway. It was a great day. I booked an independent kayaking excursion at Chilkoot Lake. We had our own guide and our own kayaks instead of having to paddle tandem. We went farther and saw more than the people in a Royal Caribbean excursion there at the same time. They had a lot of them in triple kayaks.

After kayaking, we had a great lunch at the Bamboo Room. Back then, Haines was a lot less touristy than Skagway. We still had time to wander through the downtown area of Skagway after taking the ferry back.

• Like 1

We are on Discovery Princess July 10th.  Have not received any notification from Princess as of yet.  But whatever happens will happen and we are determined to enjoy ourselves at whatever port they decide to stop at.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, wolvey said:

So Skagway is canceled for your sailing?

Yes. Icy Point Strait instead. I've also never been there and I can't find a port guide for it. If any one has a link, I'd be appreciative 

• Like 1

No Skagway for you!  We are on the Majestic right now in Hains. We got word yesterday morning of the rockslide and the change of plans. Had to call Chilcoot tours to cancel. She said there is a big hole in the dock.  We are disappointed. However we are in Alaska on a bright sunny day and are going to the wildlife preserve. We are just grateful to be here and have had wonderful weather.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Ombud said:

Yes. Icy Point Strait instead. I've also never been there and I can't find a port guide for it. If any one has a link, I'd be appreciative 

Ask the excursion desk on options for icy point.  You can search princess’ website for excursions options too. Here’s one for crown princess in July: https://www.princess.com/search-cruise/details/?voyageCode=3222N

18 minutes ago, Cali Viajera said:

No Skagway for you!  We are on the Majestic right now in Hains. We got word yesterday morning of the rockslide and the change of plans. Had to call Chilcoot tours to cancel. She said there is a big hole in the dock.  We are disappointed. However we are in Alaska on a bright sunny day and are going to the wildlife preserve. We are just grateful to be here and have had wonderful weather.

This is probably the best reason to buy the internet package.  When I was on the crown, I was dead to the outside world.  Luckily I had cell service when in port or else I would have missed one of my excursion as they needed to call me that day.

1 hour ago, cruisequeen4ever said:

I wish it would be decided firmly for each ship whether there will be an official change to ISP for the rest of the season. It’d really help people plan.

Do you really think Princess would do something that sensible?  LOL  I read on another thread that we may not know until were are already on board.

Just now, hpeabody said:

Do you really think Princess would do something that sensible?  LOL  I read on another thread that we may not know until were are already on board.

I don't think any cruise line has input on the repair schedule.  Could they be hoping that the local officials can stabilize the rock slide and get the pier repaired more quickly than that?