Thermal Suite Question

Ellen495

It’s a hydro therapy pool and it’s very warm and bubbly. There are metal rollers you can lie on and just relax or there are jets of water you can stand under and they are great for tense shoulders. I have arthritis and I book the thermal suite on every cruise it really is wonderful.  When you are done in the pool you can use the heated ceramic loungers in the relaxation room, also very calming. There are showers to use also when you finish. To me it is worth every penny.  Linda

• Like 2

Since it directly relates to being a Thermal Suite newbie user, may I also ask how people usually go about visiting? Like, what is your process from cabin to bathing to getting on with your next activity?

I'm like @zigdilcru: I have arthritis, so, at home, warm water physical therapy is my most effective treatment to reduce pain and stiffness. I'm really looking forward to using the Thermal Spa every day on my August voyage. But, for PT, I show up in my street clothes, change and take a hygiene shower in their locker room (but pin my hair up so no shampooing there), do my therapy in the pool, another quick shower to get the chlorine off, then dress back in street clothes and carry on with my day. Every visit, I'm left with two wet towels and a wet swimsuit to deal with.

I've never actually used the pool on a cruise before. I'm not a regular swimmer and summer camp (my only lifetime experience of daily swims) is a LO-O-O-ONG time ago. I dislike the beach (sun sensitive, hate hot weather, and find sand unpleasant) so never really even took my kids there; that was their dad's job since he loves the heat and sun.

On the ship, do you put on your swimsuit in your cabin and walk to the spa in a cover up? Walk back in a towel over wet suit, thus wearing a soggy cover-up, or shower and change while you are in the Thermal Suite, carrying a gym bag with a full set of fresh duds? Do you wear a swim cap?

I feel so silly not knowing how to approach this, but I think part of why I never swam at the YMCA when we were gym members is how much effort it feels like to schlep heavy bags of wet swimwear and towels back afterwards.

My best attempted analogy is that, because I'm a little anxious/OCD about certain things, I had to develop a process for taking showers when we go tent camping at our favorite state park. I know which bag has straps that will work well and hang open on a hook in a "dirty" primitive bathroom building so I can keep everything off the wet/muddy floor. I know stepping out without shower shoes (or a well-placed plastic bag) will mean muddy feet going into my clean socks, so I lay it all out in a certain way before I start...

Sorry if it's a ridiculous question, but I'd love to hear what regular Thermal Suite users have to say about the logistics of their visits.

--(a slightly abashed) willo

• Like 3

5 hours ago, willoL said:

Since it directly relates to being a Thermal Suite newbie user, may I also ask how people usually go about visiting? Like, what is your process from cabin to bathing to getting on with your next activity?

This is a great question.  I am leaving next Friday, and have a 7 day thermal suite pass.  I was wondering about the same thing.  Following....

• Like 1

Hi thermal suite "newbies" 🙂 .  We (hubby and me) usually always book the Thermal Suite for our cruises if it is available so I will try to help out and answer any questions. 

When you buy it you will get it added to your room card.  When you get to the spa you check in at the desk and they will give you the spa key that gives you access to the Thermal Pool and the Heated Beds (2 different rooms, same key).  In addition they will ask you if you want a locker.

In the womens locker you will find a spa robe, sandals (they are plastic and sanitized after each use).  The change room has individual rooms if you want to change into your swimsuit there.  They also have showers and washrooms.  I can't speak for the mens change room as my husband wears his swim trunks and a t-shirt and doesn't use the change room. 

You have a couple of options depending on your preference.  You can wear your swimsuit (probably with a cover up) to the spa.  I wear mine to the spa with a light "dress" that I use as a cover up.  However, I still use the lockers as I like to get the robe and put my "stuff" (e.g. clothes to change into) into it and lock it up.  The Thermal Pool suite area also has showers, so I usually shower there (instead of dripping on my way from the locker room to the Pool area.

NOTE: you don't need to use the lockers or change room if you don't want to.  My husband usually goes directly to the Thermal Pool area (after checking in).  Grabs a few towels and a lounger (they have them in the pool area as well).  Takes off his t-shirt and uses the showers in the pool room.  After he is done he will relax for a bit on the lounger (and dry off) then make his way back to the cabin to relax.

They tell you to only spend about 20 minutes in the Pool as it is a therapy pool.  Both of us find that is about the right amount of time. 

After the pool I towel off (towels are in available in the area), put on my robe and make my way to the heated beds.  If there is a bed available I will grab a couple of additional towels and lay it on the bed and then use my robe as a "blanket".  Really nice and warm and snuggly.  Very, very relaxing.  If there isn't a bed available I will go and sit in the steam room for a bit.  They ask you to be respectful of others and only stay on the beds for about 20 minutes.  Since most people respect that a bed usually becomes available quickly. 

Then I make my way back to the change room and change out of my bathing suit (if it is still damp).  Our "tradition" is to usually do this late in the afternoon.  So I usually shower back in my cabin and then get ready for dinner. 

It is a therapy pool.  My husband suffers from chronic back pain and some nerve issues in his legs.  He tries to use it daily (unless we are totally busy at a port).  In our opinion it is better value than a 1 hour massage 🙂

I hope this answers peoples questions.  Let me know if there is anything else you want to know.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

@ilv4cruising your description is so thorough and SO HELPFUL. Thanks!

This is the kind of thing that laid back people can just "figure out as they go," but I get so embarrassed about asking questions even when I know it's perfectly reasonable to seek advice. I'm working on that as a personal issue, but sure do appreciate advance information to alleviate these anxieties.

Honestly, my issues have made us consider investing in a therapy pool of some sort at home, which would have an *enormous* cost, so I really want to try to visit the therapy pool daily (or more!) on our 24 day trip to see if my health condition improves as much as I've imagined it might. Being better prepared will help me do this efficiently.

Again, thank you! And I love hearing how your husband approaches the same visit. Or would like to know what other ladies do, too. I don't believe there is such a thing as TMI when I'm approaching a new experience. 😁

• Like 1

1 minute ago, willoL said:

@ilv4cruising your description is so thorough and SO HELPFUL. Thanks!

This is the kind of thing that laid back people can just "figure out as they go," but I get so embarrassed about asking questions even when I know it's perfectly reasonable to seek advice. I'm working on that as a personal issue, but sure do appreciate advance information to alleviate these anxieties.

Honestly, my issues have made us consider investing in a therapy pool of some sort at home, which would have an *enormous* cost, so I really want to try to visit the therapy pool daily (or more!) on our 24 day trip to see if my health condition improves as much as I've imagined it might. Being better prepared will help me do this efficiently.

Again, thank you! And I love hearing how your husband approaches the same visit. Or would like to know what other ladies do, too. I don't believe there is such a thing as TMI when I'm approaching a new experience. 😁

Feel free to ask as many questions as you like.  One thing I will add is, while the Thermal is very therapeutic not all pools are the same.  For us we didn't like the Thermal Pool on the Koningsdam (Pinnacle class ships).  We haven't been on the 2 other "new" Pinnacle ships so can't speak to them.  We have done the Vista class and the Signature class and they provided a similar experience and enjoyed all of them.  Sadly (at least for us) the metal beds on the Koningsdam didn't exist and they basically had seats only.  We didn't think it provided the same relaxation and relief.  Plus the area for the heated beds seemed to provide a pathway for people so wasn't quiet.  Not very "spa like". 

I know others like the Koningsdam therapy pool but for us it didn't work. 

The one thing that takes a bit of practice is getting on the metal bed.  The best way I found is to turn your back to it, sit on it and then scoot back until you can stretch out 🙂 .  If you can get the area by the wall it provides some additional leverage.  You also might have to hold onto one of the bars while lying just to stop yourself from floating away.  It is worth it though 🙂 .

Last thought.  If you enter and it is empty and the jets aren't going go to the entrance to the pool (where the stairs are).  There will be 2 large buttons.  Press them and the jets will start up again.  They do operate on a timer so sometimes need to be restarted.  One button is for the pool jets, the other is for the 2 "umbrella" style jets that are really great for your neck.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Yes, like them much better on vista class ships. wear a long "T" type shirt over bathing suit. Usually shower in spa area, remove wet suit dry off, return to cabin in shirt.  might not work as well if you are full figured. 

I wear my bathing suit to the spa with a cover-up, go directly to the thermal pool, and sit in the thermal pool area for a short while to somewhat "dry off," then proceed to the loungers.  After enjoying the loungers, sit in one of the steam showers for a short while (very short while), then enjoy a shower in the lounger area (they provide the same toiletries in the shower as available in our cabin).  I towel off rather well, put my cover up back on, and proceed back to my cabin for a real shower and to get ready for whatever is on my agenda next...  My husband, on the other hand, showers in the locker room, puts on his clothes, and carries his swimming trunks back to the cabin for future use...  This works for us as we can both get ready at the same time without the need to wait for the shower...  🙂

• Like 1

We LOVE the HydroPool experience. However, it is much, much nicer if your Cabin is closeby or better yet, right next door.  Also, consider just booking it day-by-day once aboard.  We prefer Poolside lounging and the outdoor Hotubs combined with a few sessions in the Thermal-whatever Hydropool. 

I concur with everything that has been said. However, I wear a swimsuit coverup or lightweight cotton dress between my cabin and the spa. I do not wear that while I'm in the spa at all--I leave it in the locker until I'm ready to leave.

I'm in a spa; there's no harmful sun; there are plenty of towels so I can wrap up if I feel the need. If you wish to wear a t-shirt or a cover-up in the pool or to the edge of the pool for modesty, feel free as everyone's comfort level is different.

However, when I was a young girl at the lake I observed older men walking around with all manner of bumps, lumps, and weird bulges...all without a care in the world! They were not struggling to cover themselves or fretting that they would give offense. They were living their best lives! I decided then that I would do the same, even though we are told that women's bodies are not to be displayed with pride. I wear one-piece bathing suits as they're what I prefer, and I walk about just as if I were wearing a ball gown. 😁One of my friends keeps saying "Women are allowed to take up space in this world" and I think it's a good thing to remember.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

I am a habitual hydrotherapy frequenter on cruises but not HAL since I am a newbie. I am in my mid 60s with arthritis from neck to ankle. I travel with my early 30’s daughter.   We both dress in bathing suits in cabin and wear a coverup. Pool, shower, loungers until just damp then cover-up (0r provided bathrobe) and back to cabin to change and get ready for dinner.  A couple to things to make you feel more comfortable:

1] people are leaving the Lido deck in towels and cover-ups or nothing except wet suits, so you won’t feel out of place at all. 2) I can walk all day knowing I can use the pool to help with the aches. I don’t use the metal bar loungers much though. I find moving in the pool from jet to jet and floating against the current helps more by keeping the joints loose and limber. 3) You Will want to keep bags, towels and clothes out of puddles but pre-covid the attendant kept everything sparkling clean. Post-covid, I think it will border on sterilized.

• Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

thinking about buying the pass for the thermal spa, but have seen conflicting posts about when to buy.  Its $149 to prebuy now, but I've read somewhere that it is offered at a lower cost the first day of sailing. Any experience or advice for that?

5 hours ago, jenahfor said:

thinking about buying the pass for the thermal spa, but have seen conflicting posts about when to buy.  Its $149 to prebuy now, but I've read somewhere that it is offered at a lower cost the first day of sailing. Any experience or advice for that?

I have heard that people who prebuy and find the price lower onboard often get a refund.  I have never done this, just passing on other's comments.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, iramack said:

I am booked on Koningsdam in a SPA ocean view cabin. Does that give me the weeks pass to the thermal suite?

Prolly Not if I have to guess......................LOL

Other cruise lines, some yes.  HAL, definitely no.  HAL gives you almost nothing to justify the upcharge to a Spa Cabin.  You get some bath salts, a loofah mitt, yoga mats and a few other minor amenities.  Many of the Spa Verandah cabins have a smaller verandah than regular verandah cabins.