Msc compared to p&o

Vampiress88

MSC has a much more international feel although a bit less so if your sailing is out of Southampton. Entertainment tends to be more visual again because of different languages spoken onboard. Announcements can be in multiple languages. It would help to know where you are sailing from as they seem to  adapt the ships depending on home port.

Personally we much prefer MSC, P and O is a bit too British for us.

• Like 2

If you Google Emma cruises she's a few videos on the differences between the two. 

I'm assuming there are quite a few as we sailed with a couple who spent the first week complaining "it's not like this on P&O". Admittedly, they didn't come across as an open minded couple. 

In the end we had to avoid them or our trip was going to be ruined by their complaints or my arrest for throwing them overboard 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Vampiress88 said:

Only ever been with p&o- found a good deal so looking at jumping ship lol 

what’s the main differences anyone?

If you need to call, they will screw up your booking. They will hang up on you. They will tell you if you don't like it, to cancel.

They will tell you a manager will call in 48-72. Never happens.

They will tell you to send an email and they will never return one or fix your issue.

They may take you cabin and category and move you and give you no reduction in fare 

How would you like to book an aft balcony and end up in an inside just because they can do that and still charge you the same.

2 hours ago, Vampiress88 said:

We have done 69 nights with MSC now , last one being on Virtuosa last August and we are going back on her this August . We tried P&O for the first time last October  on Britannia then did Ventura followed by Iona in January this year.  We find P&O a little staid,  the entertainment lacking in the Theatre,  we enjoyed  the Limelight club , went twice on Britannia and once on Iona . 

The things that are the same with the cruise lines  - gratuities are included . If you take the option of the included drinks package with MSC it is exceptional value , we only did PAYG with P&O for bottles of wine with dinner and took onboard the allowed litre spirits each for in cabin use . 

No self service laundry on MSC . 

We never starve on a cruise and find MSCs food  very good , occasionally on P&O I found it hard to find something on the MDR I fancied though the desserts in the buffet were very good . 

If you are on Virtuosa she is a lovely ship, very glitzy with live music everywhere.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mscdivina2016 said:

If you need to call, they will screw up your booking. They will hang up on you. They will tell you if you don't like it, to cancel.

They will tell you to send an email and they will never return one or fix your issue.

They may take you cabin and category and move you and give you no reduction in fare 

How would you like to book an aft balcony and end up in an inside just because they can do that and still charge you the same.

that sounds awful

1 hour ago, heatherb1958 said:

We have done 69 nights with MSC now , last one being on Virtuosa last August and we are going back on her this August . We tried P&O for the first time last October  on Britannia then did Ventura followed by Iona in January this year.  We find P&O a little staid,  the entertainment lacking in the Theatre,  we enjoyed  the Limelight club , went twice on Britannia and once on Iona . 

The things that are the same with the cruise lines  - gratuities are included . If you take the option of the included drinks package with MSC it is exceptional value , we only did PAYG with P&O for bottles of wine with dinner and took onboard the allowed litre spirits each for in cabin use . 

No self service laundry on MSC . 

We never starve on a cruise and find MSCs food  very good , occasionally on P&O I found it hard to find something on the MDR I fancied though the desserts in the buffet were very good . 

If you are on Virtuosa she is a lovely ship, very glitzy with live music everywhere.  

its preziosa we are looking at 

I get it’s going to be quite a bit different, so I am expecting that. 
it’s cheaper than p&o and we go based on price

4 minutes ago, Vampiress88 said:

that sounds awful

It is and it is consistant.

They offer a really good product especially Yacht club but their IT and customer service are the worst.

I highly reccomend you use a travel agent for this cruise line.   I was never going to sail with them again but it seems I still am, so I use a TA to handle the crap.  I recently had a Suadi Arabia cruise in YC cancelled for no reason??? TA spent 4 hours putting it all back. Better them than me now.

1 hour ago, Vampiress88 said:

that sounds awful

Assuming you're based in the UK, the customer service people here do seem a lot better than in the USA. A lot of reports of issues. Personally, we've always booked direct and never had any issues. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Vampiress88 said:

If you are on Fantasia class, and Preziosa is one, do not book a cabin classes as junior.  It will be tiny.  And they come in inside, OV, and balcony.  They would be fine for me, traveling solo, but two would be cramped.  EM

14 hours ago, Vampiress88 said:

We have been on Preziosa , she is a lovely ship, go for it . We also vote with our wallet when it comes to cruises now . Enjoy !

12 hours ago, CruisingFox27 said:

Assuming you're based in the UK, the customer service people here do seem a lot better than in the USA. A lot of reports of issues. Personally, we've always booked direct and never had any issues. 

Think I agree there . We made a hold booking online , sent them a message through the e.mail link on the hold confirmation requesting a call back and got a call within 30 mins . I had a voucher and my Voyager discount wasn't being accepted , lovely girl said there was a glitch in the system , redid the booking for me adding the discount . No problems.  

23 hours ago, mscdivina2016 said:

I just paid for an guaranteed inside for Saturday and have been given a cracking balcony cabin.... With an unexpected £50 OBC on top too....I'm happy.

• Like 3

On 6/28/2022 at 11:44 AM, Vampiress88 said:

We've sailed P&O (Ventura 2012) and MSC (Meraviglia 2021 and Seashore 2022).  P&O is a more traditional cruise experience compared to MSC.  Personally we loved MSC, there has been marked improvements since we sailed in 2021.  We would sail with them again.  Back when we sailed on Ventura, they had self-service laundry which was helpful.  MSC like RCCL is all service washes only.  The ships are very glitzy but the dress is quite varied.  Personally we make an effort but we no longer pack the boys' tuxes.  Maybe because we haven't sailed recently on P&O but we felt like there were a lot more activities for kids on MSC.

On 6/28/2022 at 4:44 PM, Vampiress88 said:

The main difference is MSC is not stuffy in the slightest, and it's clientele are not looking for the Rule Britannia experience. It is so refreshing to have an International mix of passengers, many of whom do not queue properly! 😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

UK and always booked direct without generally any issues. I wouldn't say the customer service is terrible but it's just not top class. They often - maybe because it's an Italian line - struggle to understand what you actually want. By far the easiest way to deal with them is through email but again expect to wait a week for a reply.  You also have to be quite persistent and chase things. That said when we've had a problem it's been resolved. 

Things like booking excursions and extras etc. seems very easy if you book direct, as is getting your tickets etc. 

On board it's very European and cosmopolitan (which we like). Food similarly is European and in our experience always very good (and we've not always sailed YC). The new ships are absolutely stunning.

• Like 4