Longest 2-cruise back to back on Norwegian?

Rob_H

We're booked on the Sun from Seattle to Miami (Oct 11 2022, 20 days), staying on b2b for the transatlantic Miami to Lisbon (Oct 31, 21 days).  41 days on just two cruises.

Is this the longest pair of consecutive cruises that Norwegian have ever had? 

There have been long pairs before, especially to Africa and Asia.  For example we had a 21n then a 17n Rome-Dubai-Singapore in 2018, 38 nights with two cruises.  And of course with three or more cruises they get longer, we often do b2b2b.

Still, at 41 days this is longer than even most b2b2b.  There's certainly nothing else to match it in the current schedules (the return transatlantic next year is shorter).  Have Norwegian done anything longer in the past?

• Like 1

@Rob_H

Short one those two!!!   VBG

Had the Spirit not run into Covid problems in 2020 the original B2B we had booked would have been longer and the changed one even longer.

Dubai-Cape Town 2 Mar-22 Mar  21 Days

PLUS

Cape Town- Singapore 22 Mar-19 Apr  24 Days

OR

Cape Town-Athens 22 Mar-15 Apr 28 Days

Totals then either 45 Days OR 49 Days.

7 minutes ago, casofilia said:

Totals then either 45 Days OR 49 Days.

How many days did you end up with? Our 21d plus 14d Sydney-Tahiti-Honolulu at the same time as you (March 2020) finshed after 25 days (in Honolulu).

I think some of the Jade Africa cruises planned for 2021 (that never happened) were long like yours.  The ones scheduled now are all under 20 days per leg.

@Rob_H

Just the 21 days (including 17 days with no ports) as we were rapidly debarked in Cape Town;.   Bloody good job too; as we left Cape Town the day they closed the border, went through Singapore the day they closed the border and arrived in Auckland the day we closed the border!!!

I don't know about 2021 as we couldn't do that one, we had multi cruises booked in Asia on Princess; they were cancelled too.

I agree that NCL seems to be making long cruises shorter!!!   To be in line with other lines.   More sea days and fewer port days.

A few years ago we were on a bus in Honolulu and were talking to people who were also travelling Hawai'i  to Sydney (Celebrity I think).   They were leaving 1 day before us and arriving there 6 days before us.    We did 30 days with 16 days in port.   I can't see what NCL are doing on the equivalent cruise these days, website playing sillies!!

20 minutes ago, casofilia said:

I agree that NCL seems to be making long cruises shorter!!!   To be in line with other lines.   More sea days and fewer port days.

The Sun transatlantic (Oct 31) is a bit of an exception, 21 days with 11 port days (including three stops in the Azores, very unusual). The downside is US$520 in port fees and taxes!  But it's still one of the cheapest Norwegian cruises, per day.

i think the jan south africa to dubai is 18 days, then you can back to back from dubal for another 18 days. my friend is booked on those 2, but even for an oceanview cabin the price imo is outrageous

this nov lisbon to rio is 14 days, then you can continue  rio to buenas aires for another 7 (total 21 days).

ncl star

@complawyer

...back to back from dubal for another 18 days....   Just for accuracy from Dubai the Jade cruises to Athens.

So it is the reverse of the Nov 13th cruise.

If you look at the prices of the 4 cruises

Nov-Dec Athens-Dubai-Cape Town and Jan-Feb Cape Town-Dubai-Athens you will find they are VERY similar; and VERY high on a daily basis when compared to other NCL cruises..

Two reasons; this is the first time that these cruises have been expected to be completed.   The only other attempt was the failed Spirit cruise of March 2020.  Secondly people on the Spirit cruise received a 75% FCC and it so happened that NO LIMIT was imposed.   Many people therefore booked on the same cruise in 2021 which was cancelled and so then transferred to the 2022 cruise which we had done originally.

That was excellent as it was possible to use the 75% FCC to book a Suite for the cost of an Inside. 

I have been following the changes in the price of an Inside for the two cruises Athens-Dubai-Cape Town since 4th Sep 2021 when it was NZD 4601/4763 for the two cruises till today it is NZD 7661/7551.   In between the maximum price reached was NZD13419/14785.   That maximum figure for an INSIDE was greater than the actual quoted price for the SUITE when we used our 75% FCC.

NCL are trying to regain the loss they made from offering the NO LIMIT 75% FCC.!!

It would be interesting to know what the maximum numbers of passengers has been set at for each of the four cruises and what percentage of that has been taken up.   I have asked my PCC about the two we are on and he can't/won't tell me!!!!!

Sorry to jump on here, but I have a question.  We are doing our first B2B in August.  Ship is arriving and departing from Amsterdam.  What happens on this day?  Do we get off the ship?  What happens to our belongings?  Can I do an excursion?  Do we have to do a Covid test for next leg of journey?  I have no idea how this works.  Thanks

@couplelovestravel

What happens on this day?  Everything goes very easily.   Everything is well documented, follow the instructions and it will be a simple day.

If you are changing rooms you will get instructions to get a new room card.   Use the old one to get off the ship and the new one to get back on.

Do we get off the ship?    We always do  if only to walk round the area.   In the States you MUST get off the ship but that is not always the case in Europe.   You will get an "IN TRANSIT" sticker.   I suggest that you only start wearing it as you arrive back at the ship after going ashore.   Wear it then to make sure you bypass check-in (but not customs) and then the crew won't worry you when you get on board as you know your way round.

What happens to our belongings?  If you are NOT changing rooms it is just like any other day (but keep out of the stewards way).  If you are,  empty your safe into a case with anything loose in your cabin then leave everything else.  Your two stewards will know that you are moving and will do it for you; they will take the drawers with everything in them, loose clothes, cases, in fact anything that is your.

Can I do an excursion?    We treat it like any other day if the ship is offering shorex.   Make a private arrangement but it might be slower getting off.   As I said just go for a look see.   Remember the help given by the "IN TRANSIT" sticker when you get back.   Ask the first official person you see in the arrival hall for help while showing you sticker.

HTH

Mike

Edited by casofilia
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, casofilia said:

@couplelovestravel

If you are changing rooms you will get instructions to get a new room card.   Use the old one to get off the ship and the new one to get back on.

It sometimes is better to use the new card as soon as it is issued.  We made the mistake once of using our old card to exit the ship on turnaround day, then tried to return using the new one.  Evidently when we used the old card to exit, it cancelled out the new card.  We were able to get back on board with the old card, but then had to go to Guest Services and get another card issued for the second half of our cruise.  Since then we usually wait until the morning of turnaround day to get our new card, then use it exclusively from then on, both to exit and get back on.

On 6/29/2022 at 11:44 PM, complawyer said:

this nov lisbon to rio is 14 days, then you can continue  rio to buenas aires for another 7 (total 21 days).

ncl star

That's what we're doing after the 41 days on the Sun (and six days in Lisbon).  We've had those two Star cruises booked for a long time. We were going to do something else in Europe beforehand, but the Sun cruises are more relaxed and unique (especially the TA).  Also cheaper, and less flying!

On 6/30/2022 at 12:00 AM, Rob_H said:

We're booked on the Sun from Seattle to Miami (Oct 11 2022, 20 days), staying on b2b for the transatlantic Miami to Lisbon (Oct 31, 21 days).  41 days on just two cruises.

Is this the longest pair of consecutive cruises that Norwegian have ever had? 

There have been long pairs before, especially to Africa and Asia.  For example we had a 21n then a 17n Rome-Dubai-Singapore in 2018, 38 nights with two cruises.  And of course with three or more cruises they get longer, we often do b2b2b.

Still, at 41 days this is longer than even most b2b2b.  There's certainly nothing else to match it in the current schedules (the return transatlantic next year is shorter).  Have Norwegian done anything longer in the past?

Didn't the spirit do the NCL version of a world cruise or as close to as you could do with NCL like a 60 day trip or something?

And in terms of your cruising constantly on the same ship. Didn't a couple of people used to live onboard the NCL ships at least before Covid in the same vein that guy Mario lives on Royal and I think Cunard has a guy as well who like bowties in his in the program?

Edited by ace2542