Where to stay in NYC precruise

barb65

Where is a good place to stay pre-cruise out of New York City? We are from Pennsylvania and will be on I-80 (going east) that ends right before NYC. We booked a hotel in New Jersey off I-80, but there are mixed reviews for the hotel. Thanks in advance for all your suggestions.

40 minutes ago, barb65 said:

Where is a good place to stay pre-cruise out of New York City? We are from Pennsylvania and will be on I-80 (going east) that ends right before NYC. We booked a hotel in New Jersey off I-80, but there are mixed reviews for the hotel. Thanks in advance for all your suggestions.

Hotel recommendations are frequent topics of discussion on the East Coast Departures board so I suggest you post your question there particularly since it has nothing to do with NCL per se. There are lots of places you can stay for a night. The Parsippany area right off of I-80 has a number of hotels and is less than an hour from the port. Closer in there are hotels in the Ridgefield Park area.

nyc hotels can tend to be rather pricey. what i usually do is go to either booking.com or hotels.com. either can give you multiple choices for location, prices etc. if youre driving, you also need to factor in the cost of parking for the duration of the cruise, unless you can take a train, or have someone drive you and pick you up.

i would google any hotel that shows proximity to the port. ive heard some horror stories about new york cabbies.

Like previously mentioned check the East Coast board. Prior to Covid there were a few hotels on the Jersey side that had stay and park shuttle service, they filled up fast.

Other alternative is stay near Newark airport and take train into the city. 

We stay at Residence Inn Weehawkin Port Imperial. Its directly across from the cruise terminal on the NJ side of the Hudson river. Just step out of the hotel and take the ferry across. The cruise terminal is a 3 block walk on the NY side or they have cabs that will take you.  Plus you can stay parked at the hotel and when you come back just take the ferry across, pick up your car and go. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, jerseyfresh72 said:

We stay at Residence Inn Weehawkin Port Imperial. Its directly across from the cruise terminal on the NJ side of the Hudson river. Just step out of the hotel and take the ferry across. The cruise terminal is a 3 block walk on the NY side or they have cabs that will take you.  Plus you can stay parked at the hotel and when you come back just take the ferry across, pick up your car and go. 

This exactly^.  We did this very thing two weeks ago, stayed at the Residence Inn, ferry parking in the  same building as the hotel was only $22/day and if you can walk an extra block, the other parking garage next door was only $20/day. The ferry was $9/pp one way to the 39th St/Midtown ferry terminal in Manhattan, runs every 20 minutes and it was a dead easy 13 minute slow walk up the Hudson River Greenway to Pier 88.  We plan to use this same procedure any time we need to visit Manhattan from now on, whether it's for a cruise out of the MCT or a visit to "NYC" We'll never drive into Manhattan when it's so much cheaper and easier to stay in Port Imperial. Our only issue with the otherwise excellent Residence Inn was the in-room air conditioning, with the giant unit literally 18" from the bed. For our next visit, I'm going to look into the co-located Envue Hotel instead, hopefully it has central AC.

Our next trip is this September, but from Brooklyn rather than the MCT. Unfortunately, the excellent ferry service is far less usable on weekends and I can't find an easy way to get from New Jersey to Brooklyn by ferry, so this time we will stay in NJ,  drive through Manhattan into Brooklyn and park at the Brooklyn Cruise Terminal.